Pitch | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Pitch

Feb 8, 2005
IJN":36r4pedo said:
In my opinion, if the pitch was as good as it was in the 2014/15 season, we would have been promoted last season, despite our soft underbelly.

That's how important our pitch is.

For once I agree.

Our pitch was not THE reason why we didn't get promoted, but you have to admit that the pitch, with algae, was not the pitch that it had been. Passes went astray, players slipped and slid around in abundance.

I remember thinking at the time that the pitch may cost us if we don't get it back soon. Of course, we couldn't and it did.

It may even have had some effect as to why we had those injuries to our more important players, maybe.

But you won't convince me that the pitch didn't cost us vital pointage, which may or may not have affected our resultant position in the league. How many points were we off the automatics?

Yep definitely the pitch lost us points.

To be fair to IJN we did go 8 games unbeaten at home up to morecambe(31st oct).
Some lucky i agree but also 3 of our best home performances of the season in the carlisle,
exeter jpt and morecambe games. Thats when the injury problems started. The algae thing
didnt help us either because we were always at our best last season when we passed the
ball imho. So the pitch as well as the injuries affected us. Even after carey returned and
right up to the end of the season the pitch, although improving, never got back to its
early season state. I dont reckon carey ever got back to the standard he set earlier in the season either.
So arguably we may have won those extra home points needed to get automatic. You could also argue
mind that if we played like we did on wembleys perfect surface then we may have lost them all anyway.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
If it wasn't for the pitch we wouldn't have needed to even see Wembley FGB.

Sep 6, 2006
Fat_green_belly":3idmo83w said:
Some lucky i agree but also 3 of our best home performances of the season in the carlisle,
exeter jpt and morecambe games. Thats when the injury problems started. The algae thing
didnt help us either because we were always at our best last season when we passed the
ball imho. So the pitch as well as the injuries affected us. Even after carey returned and
right up to the end of the season the pitch, although improving, never got back to its
early season state. I dont reckon carey ever got back to the standard he set earlier in the season either.
So arguably we may have won those extra home points needed to get automatic. You could also argue
mind that if we played like we did on wembleys perfect surface then we may have lost them all anyway.

So you just blew your own argument out of the water.

Balham_Green":1jtkjb91 said:
Fat_green_belly":1jtkjb91 said:

So you just blew your own argument out of the water.
Arguably yeh i suppose i did.
Though i could now argue that one crappy away result doesnt mean that we would have
lost several at home in the same fashion on a good surface.
There you go. Ive just blown my own arguments up twice in a row now. :lol:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Balham_Green":r7si71ju said:
IJN":r7si71ju said:
That really worries me. It must be nonsense then!

It is. So hard for people to accept we were just not good enough.

Let's put it this way, I doubt many of us relished that fact as much as you did.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
I always thought BG's argument had been that we were good enough but Adams' selection and tactics got it wrong on a few occasions (a view I happened to agree with) ... but obviously not.

Sep 6, 2006
Mark Pedlar":3m4oorue said:
I always thought BG's argument had been that we were good enough but Adams' selection and tactics got it wrong on a few occasions (a view I happened to agree with) ... but obviously not.

Fair point. Bit of both. Certainly not down to pitches or refs. And its certainly not about relishing it just not living in a make believe world.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Balham_Green":42anvv92 said:
Mark Pedlar":42anvv92 said:

Fair point. Bit of both. Certainly not down to pitches or refs. And its certainly not about relishing it just not living in a make believe world.

You can understand why people think you do relish our lack of success though - sometimes a make believe world includes only seeing negativity when there is actually some grounds for optimism (or realism as some may call it).

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I saw that Baz, I assumed that was being used on Harpers, unless of course there's some tweaking to do on the main pitch.

There's two weeks left yet so plenty of time in this weather.