Points Target | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Points Target

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
demportdave":207pc0rx said:
CornishGreenWhite":207pc0rx said:
Andy Holland":207pc0rx said:
Let's not start this presumptive rubbish again, or have we learned nothing from last year?

Loathe as I am to agree with Frank :greensmile: one point more than 4th is all that matters.

Stupid comment. Learning from last year would be strengthening in January. Not working towards a realistic target.
This season is mirroring last season in so many ways so you have to be really stupid to look too far ahead and make points predictions or speculate on how many more games we need to win. After last season's massive anti-climax, surely all sensible Argyle fans would have learnt not to get too carried away at this still early stage.

When we returned to League action after the break for the FA Cup 1st Round in November of last year we only managed 13 more wins from our final 30 games and 4 of those came over the Xmas / New Year period.

Let's just enjoy the way things are going at present and wait until April to think about counting our chickens.

Hello demport , i'm happy to make a points prediction of 95+ which i guess would mean we would need to win about 17 or 18 more games , does that make me really stupid ? I don't think so .
How about you and the sensible fans you describe, enjoy the way things are going at present in the way that you see fit and myself and other sensible fans enjoy where we are now and the prospect of where we might end up come the end of the season in our own individual ways .

May 8, 2011
demportdave":tb1h8qwd said:
CornishGreenWhite":tb1h8qwd said:
Andy Holland":tb1h8qwd said:
Let's not start this presumptive rubbish again, or have we learned nothing from last year?

Loathe as I am to agree with Frank :greensmile: one point more than 4th is all that matters.

Stupid comment. Learning from last year would be strengthening in January. Not working towards a realistic target.
This season is mirroring last season in so many ways so you have to be really stupid to look too far ahead and make points predictions or speculate on how many more games we need to win. After last season's massive anti-climax, surely all sensible Argyle fans would have learnt not to get too carried away at this still early stage.

When we returned to League action after the break for the FA Cup 1st Round in November of last year we only managed 13 more wins from our final 30 games and 4 of those came over the Xmas / New Year period.

Let's just enjoy the way things are going at present and wait until April to think about counting our chickens.
Why not say this season is mirroring 2001/2?
I'm not sure how you can say this season is mirroring last year. The only thing currently the same is we are top.
We have more points and the goal difference is better.
However the main difference is what the other teams are doing. This season there is a bigger gap to fourth as the teams in the playoff chasing places have less points than last year.
Are 2 teams going to go on an exceptional run of form over the last 23 games, Northampton got 53 points and Rovers got 48.

Jul 12, 2016
It's mirroring last season in so far as we were top despite our unconvincing performances. Our home form is still patchy and although we are grinding out results how many supporters are confident that we will win before each match at Home Park ?

oldage":3ne5vxin said:
It's mirroring last season in so far as we were top despite our unconvincing performances. Our home form is still patchy and although we are grinding out results how many supporters are confident that we will win before each match at Home Park ?
I genuinely don't understand the regular references to unconvincing performances. This may be the fourth tier, but it remains a difficult division to climb out of. There are physically strong and well organised teams like Colchester who can outmuscle in midfield, as happened in the second half on Saturday. There are some pacey forwards who can cause us problems as we saw against Portsmouth. However it's our overall team performance which is winning us points, and the will to win, as was proved in the late draw and late winner in both these games. Whenever you hear any of our opponents managers being interviewed post match, the very last thing they say about our performance is patchy, or unconvincing.

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
At the moment 35 from 15 = 107 pts in a season....phew that gives us a bit of leeway.

May 8, 2011
oldage said:
It's mirroring last season in so far as we were top despite our unconvincing performances. Our home form is still patchy and although we are grinding out results how many supporters are confident that we will win before each match at Home Park ?[/quote

Home form patchy 5 wins, 2 draws and 1 defeat, only bettered by Carlisle and Doncaster.
3 points more than last year, a better goal difference, if we are unconvincing it must mean the other teams are worse than last year.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
oldage":11hilpln said:
Exactly.

By this time in 2001 I was starting to think that we looked like a top 3 team. I never really felt that way last season, mainly because of the poor home form, and I don't feel that way about this season yet.

We are having good spells of maybe 15-20 minutes in games but we are not looking as convincing as perhaps a team in our position should be.

I think in part it's because of the way that Adams likes to play, with just the 1 out and out forward, so we don't tend to dominate teams and keep them under pressure.

On Saturday against a team who have not won for 7 games we managed only 2 shots on goal and 1 of those was Donaldson closing down the Keeper.

Yes, we won and that's all that really matters but Saturday was a good example of the sort of unconvincing performance that some of us have commented on.

Jan 3, 2013
But isn't it delightful that IMHO we haven't really played yet but are unbeaten in 13 and are 11 points clear of 4th?

Jan 5, 2016
Fact - we are Top with 11 points clear of 4th.
how we are playing to get there is meaningless.
Points are what matters.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Knarf Reprah":37j0zwm8 said:
But isn't it delightful that IMHO we haven't really played yet but are unbeaten in 13 and are 11 points clear of 4th?
Two ways of looking at it I guess. It will be a repeat of last season and our performances so far are hiding our deficiencies and we have ridden our luck a little or this squad is stronger in depth, physicality and mental strength than last season's, hasn't reached it's full potential yet as a team and and will go on to secure promotion. Personally, I like to think it will be the latter.

C

CornishGreenWhite

Another win. We now sit on 38 points.

47 points to go... 16 wins needed.

:scarf:

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Another two wins before Christmas and we can be sure of not being relegated come end of the season!

Let's not be too cocky to soon.

Having said that, bring on Grimsby but beware the mighty Bogle.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
mdgreener

but Crewe is the next game that I am focused on and won't think too much beyond that.

Next one to focus on md.