Purrington signs for Rotherham - confirmed | Page 33 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Purrington signs for Rotherham - confirmed

Jun 22, 2015
simple, keep getting great free transfers which is what DA is doing. Clubs with more money than us have the business model we want to have in 3/4 years...get the young'uns in, but we are where we are...which aint bad at the moment

Sep 13, 2003
Mork":1198cefl said:
Just one question Jimsing, what's your plan for returning to the championship, when we keep selling our better players.

I think a sense of perspective is needed here. If Purrington is so good, why did no other teams apart from Rotherham tempt him away ?

The current Southampton model didn't start in the Premier League days, the model started back in the 90's and didn't begin any form of payback until they were in the Championship (they even were relegated to League One too don't forget). Southampton have been on an upward trend ever since and are the team to aspire to.

He was only an average left back. Hardly squad destroying.

Mork

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
davie nine":35y0xnhh said:
Mork":35y0xnhh said:
davie nine":35y0xnhh said:
Yes we could, Mork, apart from McHugh and Nelson. The others weren't really wanted because DA wanted HIS squad. I don't believe that he wanted to keep any of the others.

I also believe that the Board trust him to the extent that they will not interfere or refuse his reasonable requests.

That's why they gave him a 4 year contract.

Who do you think he wanted to keep?

He offered them terms, if he didn't want them, why offer terms? As well as Nelson, i think he wanted to keep, Hartley, Wilde & Reid. I accept the McHugh situation.

I think that DA's explanation of today's events with Ben Purrington should convince you that HE ALONE decides what happens as far as ins and outs with regard to the playing budget are concerned.

'Justanotherfan's' (and others) theory has been confirmed today by the manager himself. No doubt, you will still maintain that he wanted to retain Hartley, Wylde and Reid but, if so, there is sufficient evidence to prove you were WRONG, including a chance meeting that 'Jaf' had with Hartley's dad.
Broken record an all that, but if he wanted rid of them, he wouldn't of offered terms.
DA is working within in a tight budget, which means making hard decisions. I believe we're now in a stronger position to back DA.
Let's see what tomorrow brings.

R

Robbie64

Well hanging onto our talented youngsters would be a good way forward sadly we can't !!! I believe in speculating to accumulate if u receive unexpected revenue use it responsibly on decent players to move us forward else we just carry on stagnating forever !! Please don't mention administration I still can't work out which Dubai tower it bought but that's all done & dusted now but suppose many a fan will be waiting for the next episode of the vanishing millions!!! I also can't understand everyone fetish for new stands I sit in the devonport so being selfish I'd rather have players On the pitch then an empty stand full of the old guys from the muppets who you never hear lol

Aug 22, 2006
Am I reading this correctly. 300k? :lol:
For a highly rated young Englishman? :lol:
What year are we in? 1986 apparently? Well I suppose judging by some of the poo that's going on around the world maybe it's no surprise that we are so backwards. Deary me. Peterborough united would never sell a player for that amount of money but then again I suppose they are a far bigger club than us.

Aug 5, 2016
Mazza26":1p253r66 said:
Am I reading this correctly. 300k? :lol:
For a highly rated young Englishman? :lol:
What year are we in? 1986 apparently? Well I suppose judging by some of the poo that's going on around the world maybe it's no surprise that we are so backwards. Deary me. Peterborough united would never sell a player for that amount of money but then again I suppose they are a far bigger club than us.

I accept your point and agree that there are some clubs that consider themselves 'big' and 'ambitious'. Peterborough are a great example of a club that think they are the mutt's nuts.

They might refuse to sell players for amounts like £300,000. But you don't hear of the bids they turn down who walk out the door some months down the line for nothing.

That won't ever generate a headline but it's the reality of football.

Adams will know from speaking to Ben just how committed he was. If he wasn't committed , if he had been tapped up and his head was turned, he would have been like Nelson: straight up the M5 on the day his contract expired. Then the situation is out of our hands.

The figure Adams negotiated for Ben and the subsequent add ons is clearly in excess of what a tribunal would have set for him.

Feb 8, 2005
Mork":1q7f4hoa said:
Just one question Jimsing, what's your plan for returning to the championship, when we keep selling our better players.

And how are you going to keep hold of them when they want to leave?

Progress up the leagues wont be easy, but with a good manager, a good fanbase, and a good board all working together it can be done.

We've done it once in the recent past, we can do it again.

Jun 2, 2016
Purrington's only public comment re Argyle as far as I've seen is a bland 26 word statement on Twitter. Not a mention to the fans. After 13 years at the club, poor form that. Sounds like he can't get out quickly enough

Apr 8, 2014
I personally think it's a good bit of business. Never been his biggest fan, he has improved as the season has gone on but he was hardly holding the team together. Too many stray passes and a bit lightweight for my liking, can't see him cutting it in the championship. Good luck to the lad, if he goes on to bigger things we will profit further. If he's the average left back I believe him to be it's already a good bit of business.

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
Sorry to see him go. One thing we've been good at this season is defending. £300k to upset our back four for the rest of the season seems a bit short-sighted to me. Just hope DA has a replacement in mind that he can sign before midnight. :eh:

Sep 23, 2005
the_corkscrew":2mlrh1ra said:
Purrington's only public comment re Argyle as far as I've seen is a bland 26 word statement on Twitter. Not a mention to the fans. After 13 years at the club, poor form that. Sounds like he can't get out quickly enough
It did come across as very flat. Shame really but time to move on.

E

Electronic

Mork":2il4q2e4 said:
Robbie64":2il4q2e4 said:
Hey 45yrs supporting argyle we know whats coming lol.during the 70s.80s.&90s we would only buy to try & stay up usually!! We have a fantastic fanbase which has always been let down .so they stay away & come out for big games.things are decided without supporters input(eg that drab green we wear now bring back are proper green surely thats stapletons ?)wouldnt it be nice to have 3or 4 good ££££ signings to really get fans buying season tickets.show intent to suceed & fans will flock.look at burton which has a populstion of say plympton but they are forward thinking wanting to push on & not just survive

I don't think it's realistic that we could have 3 or 4 good ££££ signings. Hanging on to our young telented players? Absolutely, it's the future.

This is what has annoyed me about the Purrington sale and would seem a potentially damaging signpost for the future.

I don't think anyone would reasonably say we should be paying inflated transfer fees and wages for anyone but we should be trying to encourage young, homegrown talent to stay at the club, as the way forward to better things. If not, then what? Are we destined to always rely on free transfers and journeymen?

Adams does appear to be a miracle worker and I believe he is our greatest asset right now, bar none. What if he leaves? Do we get so lucky again?

Purrington might just have wanted to get out but why? He will be playing League One football next year and in all likelihood would have done so with Argyle, so the only reasonable conclusion to draw is that the lure of a 3.5 year contract and better money took him away. I'm not saying Argyle should have matched the offer but did they do everything they could to meet it halfway? If not, I think that's a concern as the message is essentially that we are not interested in building a squad for the future but under current strategy look to be in the world of 1yr deals and rebuilding year to year.

It might get us up this time but then what? It is easy to see Adams getting hacked off and leaving for a club with more serious intentions.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Speculation of course but one would hope that once we rid ourselves of this god awful league we could start laying foundations for future growth. With the prospect of non-league football only a relegation away, maybe it is prudent to only offer one year deals - minimises our exposure to a financial crisis. If we are in L1 and god forbid we were relegated, we could still support another year or two of higher wages despite being a league further down the pyramid.

Whilst we shouldn't be in the National League, it is always a possibility while we ply our trade in the 4th tier.

Aug 3, 2008
Plymouth
If he does well at Rotherham he will be just down the road of may top teams' scouts and may well go for big money which we will get a share of. How many scouts regularly watch our games on a regular basis?
He could have stayed here and been successful but could have eventually moved for a pittance due to time left on contract or gone at the end of his contract for a tribunal fee.
I see it as a win win for Argyle in some ways.