Resign, Sacked and Over Reaction | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Resign, Sacked and Over Reaction

May 8, 2011
up_the_line":3kzycex7 said:
I'm sorry, I can't agree with you MGM.
Adams had a whole summer to shape his team and bought in something like 14 players so to say that, just 4 months later we should give him a chance to have another go at finding some players who work is a bit wooly for me.
And I'm not buying all this 'punching above our weight' stuff with reference to budget..players like Goodwillie and Carey aren't earning a pittance and we have a pretty big squad to pay this year.
I just think he's a manager who relies on plan A and when that gets found out he has to chuck more and more players at it til it does...as demonstrated by the farcical use of Goodwillie as a lone striker.

The opportunity was there this afternoon, in a one off game, against a team who are rock bottom and have their own injury woes, and who went down to 10 pretty early, to surprise the opposition...try a new approach. But instead Adams relentlessly ploughs on with his 'tried and tested'.

I'm sorry, but when you see Argyle defending corners against 10 man Newport with all 11 players in our box it tells the story perfectly. Even Westley's team, supposedly masters of the dark arts, niggly negative timewasters who come to spoil, even they at 10 men left a striker up when defending corners.

So I don't think lack personnel is the problem, but more a deep reluctance or stubborness in the manager to try different methods. Which is very odd given how he was supposed to have spent a year looking at the different ways other managers worked.

Meanwhile at Luton, Portsmouth, Colchester etc their fans all think why the hell aren't our teams top of the league! We have the budget, we're too big for this league!
Sounds familiar?

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
demportdave":3pdjl03k said:
MGM - Who is actually calling for Adams to be sacked?

However, it's no wonder that many of the fans are so frustrated and angry, Adams appears to have learnt nothing from last season. It's the same old same old.

Regarding the budget being used as an excuse, unless Adams or anyone else can actually show us the budget sheets of all 24 teams in Division 4, please stop pedalling this nonsense about our supposed low budget. There is an element of the Brexit campaign here who kept on about an extra £350 million for the NHS which people believed because it was said so many times.

To cover his shortcomings, Adams is insulting our intelligence in trying to convince us that we are "punching above our weight" by trying to get out of Division 4 and some people are actually believing him! How dare we be so ambitious after 6 seasons.

Plase don't patronise long-suffering fans by telling them to grow a backbone. After 6 years in the basement, our crowds are still amongst the best in our Division and better than some in the Division above. In the circumstances, our crowds have held up quite well and have been very patient, but that patience is beginning to run out with some in the fanbase as it appears we might have to wait some time yet to get out of the basement.

Now this really is spot on.

Nov 4, 2012
I'm sorry but if anyone honestly thinks DA should be sacked they are a f#cking moron. Maybe it will go t!ts up again but to sack a manager at this stage whilst in the automatic promotion spots is imbecilic.

That doesn't mean DA should be immune from criticism. He does need to rethink his tactics at home. Today was poor. Very poor and the tactics were all wrong but calling for his head? Get a grip.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Saddens me that people seem to want to buy into the revolving door philosophy when it comes to managers, there's so much evidence to suggest that it doesn't work, especially in the lower divisions. Charlton & Leyton Orient are prime examples.

Derek Adams has done, and is doing a good job at the club. We're all frustrated but to start to question a managers position after 4 poor results (following an unbeaten run of 14 games) is in my opinion, madness.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Talk of Adams resigning or being sacked is completely farcical. What annoys me most about football fans in general, is the belief that a managerial change will only be positive. They assume all the good stuff will stay the same and all the bad stuff will be fixed.

Doesn't work like that, and for all the negative home tactics it's been a largely positive reign so far.

However, those home performances and the inability to break down teams is a major concern. Let's see if Adams can fix it.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Cobi Budge":2o36piqp said:
Saddens me that people seem to want to buy into the revolving door philosophy when it comes to managers, there's so much evidence to suggest that it doesn't work, especially in the lower divisions. Charlton & Leyton Orient are prime examples.

Derek Adams has done, and is doing a good job at the club. We're all frustrated but to start to question a managers position after 4 poor results (following an unbeaten run of 14 games) is in my opinion, madness.
I agree with your revolving door analogy.

However, with specific regards to Adams and Argyle, I think the concern for many fans are the worrying similarities with last season and the possibility that he has not leant from it. Adams told us that we have a stronger squad this season, better equipped to perform over the course of a long season. I'm not sure that is the case.

At any level, no goals in 3 successive home games is a serious cause for concern.

There is this virtue called patience.
Football fans generally dont have any.
Success usually comes with continuity so patience is paramount when it comes to football
managers. You have to give them enough time to do their job.
For DA it is to make us competetive at the top end of the league and then gaining
promotion to the higher level as soon as possible.
That part he is doing ok as we have always been at the right end so to speak under
his tenure. So more chance of getting what we all want. Hopefully auto rather than
play off but at least being competetive up there we will have those chances.
If we become uncompetetive over a long period then thats another matter.
The quality of football has generally been good with a short passing style adopted.
Generally i enjoy that type of football more than hoof so thats a plus from me.
Youngsters coming through is another issue i am interested in although again thats
long term and patience required but seeing louis and alex form our striker pair today
brought some warmth on a cold and disappointing day.
The home form is really the only issue and if he can overcome that then we will have
a seriously good team to support.
The other thing to remember is that if he becomes our special one and he wins big time
then he will be gone and so will a long term managerial appointment.
So part of me wants a little failure so we can keep him to ourselves for a change
instead of being knicked by premier giants like afc bournemouth.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Derek Adams might have brought a shed load of players in over the summer, but that was almost a full rebuild of the first team as we only had a few staying from the previous season. If you have to build a new first team, there will be a few signings who don't work out. Sturrock brought in a few duds, Nicky Banger springs to mind but I'm sure there were others.

The first part of the season has gone very well and with a few injuries, there has now been a dip. When a manager builds a full squad over ther summer, it takes quite a few games to find out where the strengths and weaknesses are. Hopefully Derek will have seen where we need to strengthen and which signings are not working. Without the luxury of loans between the transfer windows, a few shrewd deals in January will make or break our season. With the football creditor debt now paid, I'm hoping a few additions to the squad will put us back on track.

May 1, 2011
I'm very frustrated with the last month and I'm not in any way totally convinced by Adams but there is no way we can call for him to be removed. There is no mandate at all to remove him.

Mar 14, 2009
I do think we will have a very rocky spell from now through to the end of January.

I think we will get dumped out of the cup, be stratching around for a win over the next two months. Probably fall to around 6th to 9th in the league.

However, come mid to late February l honestly think results will turn again and Argyle will have a strong end to this campaign. For some reason l have maintained Argyle will finish in the playoffs again this year but difference is l think we will win them.

He is a streaky results manager. He loses a couple. He wins a couple, but amongst this he does put good runs together.

If Yeovil can come out of nowhere and now be 6th in the table then there is no reason for Argyle not to be able to put another good run in this very inconsistent league.

Sep 28, 2003
London
Three consecutive home games without a goal is worrying in a way that losing games by the odd goal isn't - to me that suggests that, as with last season, teams have worked us out and Adams doesn't know how to change the system.

This really is de ja vu all over again!

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
What is the point of even discussing sacking Adams when it isn't going to happen in a month of Sundays? The team needs to be put back together and get back to winning ways. Talk of quality signings is hopeful considering that we have a full squad. Maybe a loanee or two at the most unless other players can be moved on.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
up_the_line":qhqaam1a said:
I'm sorry, I can't agree with you MGM.
Adams had a whole summer to shape his team and bought in something like 14 players so to say that, just 4 months later we should give him a chance to have another go at finding some players who work is a bit wooly for me.
And I'm not buying all this 'punching above our weight' stuff with reference to budget..players like Goodwillie and Carey aren't earning a pittance and we have a pretty big squad to pay this year.
I just think he's a manager who relies on plan A and when that gets found out he has to chuck more and more players at it til it does...as demonstrated by the farcical use of Goodwillie as a lone striker.

The opportunity was there this afternoon, in a one off game, against a team who are rock bottom and have their own injury woes, and who went down to 10 pretty early, to surprise the opposition...try a new approach. But instead Adams relentlessly ploughs on with his 'tried and tested'.

I'm sorry, but when you see Argyle defending corners against 10 man Newport with all 11 players in our box it tells the story perfectly. Even Westley's team, supposedly masters of the dark arts, niggly negative timewasters who come to spoil, even they at 10 men left a striker up when defending corners.

So I don't think lack personnel is the problem, but more a deep reluctance or stubborness in the manager to try different methods. Which is very odd given how he was supposed to have spent a year looking at the different ways other managers worked.

I agree with all of this. As soon as they went down to 10, I would have responded with two up front straight away as it was clear there would be two banks of four against us. The tactic of aerial crosses for Goodwillie in the first-half was pathetic. And as for that corner, I said as much at the time - they had two men over the ball and two sat back on the half-way line. So why did we need 11 against 5 in the box ?

To be fair he did try two up front after the break for a period and swapped personnel in several positions, but it all seemed more of a panic rather than tactically deduced - and as the game progressed that panic continued to the point (as with Barnet) we had no shape whatsoever.

I'd say Adams is a very good manager when all is going well, but seems for the second season running to be rather one-dimensional. It would be ridiculous to call for him to be replaced, but he does need to start displaying some tactical nous during game time because teams have us worked out now.

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
To those who are against that which JB AND DA are doing why don't you s*d off and support that crap up the A38 and leave the true Argyle supporters in peace. :furious: