Ryan Brunt signs from Bristol Rovers | Page 13 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ryan Brunt signs from Bristol Rovers

C

Cobi Budge.

Granted he didn't appear to showcase much ability but at least he made an effort at attacking a couple of set pieces and crosses in to the box, something nobody else seemed willing to do.

What baffled me was that, during the closing stages, we had two big strikers on the pitch, yet Thomas, the only player in our side capable of delivering good crosses was only brought on for the last couple of minutes.

A

Ajax66

I thought Ryan acquitted himself well for the short time he was on. Needs a little time to settle in. I thought our balls into the box were poor all match. Have to agree with Cobi, Nathan should have been on sooner. Hardly any pressure on their back line for the whole match.

C

Cult Of Personality

I thought he looked alright he held the ball up well a few times and once he settled could make a diffence

Of course the miss kick into his face lives in the mermory but these things happen

Jul 6, 2005
Cobi Budge.":634v50uf said:
Granted he didn't appear to showcase much ability but at least he made an effort at attacking a couple of set pieces and crosses in to the box, something nobody else seemed willing to do.

What baffled me was that, during the closing stages, we had two big strikers on the pitch, yet Thomas, the only player in our side capable of delivering good crosses was only brought on for the last couple of minutes.
Of the 4 opportunities he had to deliver the ball into the box, Thomas managed to get it in just once.

This guy is so over-rated by some of the fans but as was the case with Harvey, the more we struggle and the more that Sheridan refuses to use him, the more the myth grows that he is better than he actually is. This time next year he will probably be playing for a mid-table Conference side at best.

I am not blaming him for our many short-comings, they are mostly Sheridan's fault, but I can understand why he is so reluctant to bring him on because he has very little to offer.

Mar 23, 2008
Liked his header from the corner, did well to get up and we don't have many players who can/will do that.

C

Cobi Budge.

All a matter of opinions but I think in the last 2 matches, we've looked far more threatening with Thomas on the pitch, and to be honest, in the majority of matches I've seen him in.

He's no where near the finished article but he's got pace and he can whip a ball in, Sheridan needs to swallow some pride and be much more liberal in his use of Thomas.

G

Greenskin

David_Fisher":14cohkoh said:
Greenskin":14cohkoh said:
Phil Sloggett":14cohkoh said:
I actually saw glimpses of Brunt that I liked, I think he is someone who could hold the ball up quite well and 'do a job' for us.

However, a goal scorer? I can't see it. That is what we need as well, someone who is going to get in the box and knock in a few goals. A penalty box striker, if you will.

I know players like that cost money. However, Sheridan needed to try and dig out another Marino Keith, not a poor man's Michael Evans.

He would have been better giving Tyler Harvey a run of games, he is more the type of player we need. Someone who is going to be facing the goal, not a player who will spend most of his time with his back to it.

Poor judgement by Sheridan in my opinion.

Surely though the signing of Brunt was more as cover for the seemingly inevitable departure of Morgan and the absence of Smalley?

I would say Brunt looked like a not-very-good non-league "striker".

Not really the point I was making, nothing to do with how good or bad he is, just that he was signed to fulfil the role of target man as Morgan or to a lesser extent Smalley would do, rather than be of the Alessandra or Harvey type. I didn't think he did that badly, couple of nice lay offs, a header at the far post-maybe the spectacular misfire of an overhead kick or whatever it was which ended up in his own face didn't do him many favours in the first impressions department.

C

Cobi Budge.

Phil Sloggett":3sedicwt said:
How did he get on today?

A bit random but while I was watching the game I looked over to the devonport and spotted the Trigger mural, there are similarities. His hold up play is really quite good, he's strong and he wins the vast majority of battles in the air, he's just quite poor with the ball at his feet, in fact, very poor. So a mixed bag for me.

And after seeing him up close, I do think he needs to lose a couple of pounds.

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
Cobi Budge.":1or6cmlr said:
Phil Sloggett":1or6cmlr said:
How did he get on today?

A bit random but while I was watching the game I looked over to the devonport and spotted the Trigger mural, there are similarities. His hold up play is really quite good, he's strong and he wins the vast majority of battles in the air, he's just quite poor with the ball at his feet, in fact, very poor. So a mixed bag for me.

Interesting, thanks.

Will be interesting to see how he gets on trying to work his way into the first team.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Cobi Budge.":36nqmgkl said:
Phil Sloggett":36nqmgkl said:
How did he get on today?

I took my Nephew on Saturday--he's a Press association journalist normally covering Everton and Stoke--it's fair to say he wasn't too impressed. One of the things he picked up on immediately was that many of the players, including Brunt, were clearly overweight.

Aug 12, 2011
Old Gunner":ph4b75i7 said:
Cobi Budge.":ph4b75i7 said:
Phil Sloggett":ph4b75i7 said:
How did he get on today?

I took my Nephew on Saturday--he's a Press association journalist normally covering Everton and Stoke--it's fair to say he wasn't too impressed. One of the things he picked up on immediately was that many of the players, including Brunt, were clearly overweight.

Ouch :silent:

Surely he must have something, I mean, why would our gaffa have given him a 18 month deal :funny:

G

Greenskin

Old Gunner":1x3hdz3p said:
Cobi Budge.":1x3hdz3p said:
Phil Sloggett":1x3hdz3p said:
How did he get on today?

Good job he wasn't at the Luton game then. :lol:

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Greenskin":sb40gui3 said:
Old Gunner":sb40gui3 said:
Cobi Budge.":sb40gui3 said:
Phil Sloggett":sb40gui3 said:
How did he get on today?

Good job he wasn't at the Luton game then. :lol:

Too true. I hear when Luton FC use Luton Airport to fly to away games they get surcharged for weight issues, ho ho!

Sep 6, 2006
If Brunt is to replace Marvin why not just keep Marvin until the end of the season. He's no worse! I would say of all the players we DONT need at the club the first is a non scoring striker.