Seats on the old terrace | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Seats on the old terrace

Sep 25, 2003
Carbis Bay
PAFC94":jwqorav1 said:
I think we would sell in excess of 15k for a Play-off Semi Final especially if it's against someone like Luton who would sell out their allocation. Seems stupid that we can't go back to having a terrace.

There's no crush barriers on the terrace anymore so they'd have to be paid for and installed anyway.

Nov 4, 2012
Dalton Is God":8zq9a3jt said:
PAFC94":8zq9a3jt said:
I think we would sell in excess of 15k for a Play-off Semi Final especially if it's against someone like Luton who would sell out their allocation. Seems stupid that we can't go back to having a terrace.

There's no crush barriers on the terrace anymore so they'd have to be paid for and installed anyway.

That can't be anywhere near as expensive as 3.5k seats though surely?

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
What about safe standing? Or is that system still being trailed?

Dec 7, 2006
I believe the seats we had on the Mayflower were the very same used for the Open golf tournaments? They dont get installed for a season so I'd be amazed if a reasonable rate wasn't available for one-off hire for any semi-final game. Still, I'm not entirely sure they'd be required anyway so it's all academic really.

Oct 28, 2011
Nottingham
Surely any cost for a season is going to include ongoing maintenance for the seats, safety-insurance etc...which I imagine wouldn't be so great for a single game.

On the other hand, it also might be worth considering that putting in more-economically priced seats might lower the gate receipts overall if people who would be going anyway were to buy tickets for that section. So I guess it would ultimately depend on the demand for tickets versus the cost of hiring out the seats, probably at short notice (which might push up the price) as our involvement in the play-offs obviously isn't guaranteed at this point.

Jul 29, 2010
Dalton Is God":39szg335 said:

A new grandstand, that's what we need. The day we start re-installing crush barriers will mean we've given up on getting one. I know that doesn't take a huge leap of imagination given the way it's dragging on, but even so.

The bottom line requirement for a grandstand aside, so talking hypothetically, purely to scratch an itchy curiosity, what are the rules preventing/allowing us to re-instate good old fashioned terracing?

We all know that a club has to go 'all seater' if it stays in the championship (or above) for three seasons. I don't personally agree with that but thems the rules.

But what then?, we dropped out of the championship in 2009, are we allowed to re-instate terracing five full seasons after last hosting a championship game?, and if not why not?

If there's no equal and opposite reverse to the '3 year championship rule' to help clubs who've fallen on harder times then potentially a ridiculous state of affairs could exist. Imagine for a second (it's easy if you try), we hadn't successfully cleared administration and had to re-start in some gawd awful non-league pyramid system. Would we STILL have to provide an all-seater venue, just because we had three years plus in the championship?

Seems harsh. We SHOULD be able to re-instate terracing after a designated period, accepting that in year three of a championship return we'd have to rip it up again. Yet I've never heard of any such dispensation.

Sep 23, 2014
plymouth
Dalton Is God":278is7hg said:
PAFC94":278is7hg said:

There are no crush barriers behind the goal at the away end at Exeter, although is that because it isn't that steep ?

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
X Isle":1bflkcew said:
But what then?, we dropped out of the championship in 2009, are we allowed to re-instate terracing five full seasons after last hosting a championship game?, and if not why not?

Because that's the Law. Once a stadia has moved across to all-seating, they are not allowed to return to standing, not without a change in legislation. Lots of clubs are clamouring for safe-standing, but Parliament is resolute in not changing the Law. And I can see their point: no Govt would want there to be another disaster on their watch.

I really cannot see a return to standing at any time soon.

Jul 29, 2010
Quinny":uahweccx said:
X Isle":uahweccx said:

Because that's the Law. Once a stadia has moved across to all-seating, they are not allowed to return to standing, not without a change in legislation. Lots of clubs are clamouring for safe-standing, but Parliament is resolute in not changing the Law. And I can see their point: no Govt would want there to be another disaster on their watch.

I really cannot see a return to standing at any time soon.

Thanks, if that's the definitive last word on it from the authorities then it's just nuts especially when virtually every other club in our league has terracing :facepalm:

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
There aren't many clubs in League Two which would have triggered the mandatory move to all-seating by being in the Championship since the Taylor Report - Pompey are probably the only other club (and Luton? Need to check that) which are all-seater and not allowed to revert to standing.

edit: Tranmere and Prenton Park...
edit 2: Nah - Kenilworth Road became all-seater before the Taylor Report. Still wouldn't be allowed to return to standing, though.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
Like other people have said, I'm not sure we'd need it. I'm not sure we'd fill what we have got, let alone require extra; especially with the poor advertising from the club.

Apr 15, 2008
London
Quinny":18l5poq9 said:
There aren't many clubs in League Two which would have triggered the mandatory move to all-seating by being in the Championship since the Taylor Report - Pompey are probably the only other club (and Luton? Need to check that) which are all-seater and not allowed to revert to standing.

edit: Tranmere and Prenton Park...
edit 2: Nah - Kenilworth Road became all-seater before the Taylor Report. Still wouldn't be allowed to return to standing, though.

Southend as well.

Aug 10, 2006
X Isle":2xphwvg8 said:
Baseline it cost £100k five years ago, it's probably doubled in that time. Add in the fact it's unlikely a company has 3.5K seating gathering dust so we'd have to pay a premium price to get a quick installation, plus the fact it may not be available anyway and you can see why this simply isn't gonna happen.

Any Johnny-come-lately 'fans' who get locked out of this mythical sell-out this season might want to reflect on this. If they'd dragged their lazy asses to HP in greater numbers throughout the season then the economic argument for catering for them would be a whole heap easier to make.
it cost 70 grand not 100