Seats on the old terrace | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Seats on the old terrace

May 1, 2011
I'm a big believer in the return of terracing, it works in Germany and it is perfectly safe if regulated properly. Hillsborough was a tragedy which cut football really deep but it doesn’t mean we can never discuss whether or not standing is ever acceptable.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
loyal1970":15u847e5 said:
X Isle":15u847e5 said:
Baseline it cost £100k five years ago, it's probably doubled in that time. Add in the fact it's unlikely a company has 3.5K seating gathering dust so we'd have to pay a premium price to get a quick installation, plus the fact it may not be available anyway and you can see why this simply isn't gonna happen.

Any Johnny-come-lately 'fans' who get locked out of this mythical sell-out this season might want to reflect on this. If they'd dragged their lazy asses to HP in greater numbers throughout the season then the economic argument for catering for them would be a whole heap easier to make.
it cost 70 grand not 100
It depends on what source is used:

http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/ARG ... story.html

http://www.plymouth.vitalfootball.co.uk ... p?a=195569

However, it's all academic as it'll never happen.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
its so village though that a once great and popular terrace has now been reduced to a place where you stick a flag on a match day....

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
X Isle":3w32prhw said:
Quinny":3w32prhw said:
X Isle":3w32prhw said:
But what then?, we dropped out of the championship in 2009, are we allowed to re-instate terracing five full seasons after last hosting a championship game?, and if not why not?

Because that's the Law. Once a stadia has moved across to all-seating, they are not allowed to return to standing, not without a change in legislation. Lots of clubs are clamouring for safe-standing, but Parliament is resolute in not changing the Law. And I can see their point: no Govt would want there to be another disaster on their watch.

I really cannot see a return to standing at any time soon.

Thanks, if that's the definitive last word on it from the authorities then it's just nuts especially when virtually every other club in our league has terracing :facepalm:

It does make you wonder what the board's plans were during the Championship years. All too often they would tell supporters that the club was financially sound compared to others but all along were neglecting their legal responsibilities that they knew they had to comply with within three years. I guess even back then the ideal solution was to replace the grandstand but it never seemed to be a priority and then I supposed the promise of the World Cup Stadium was the answer to everything.

The one thing for sure is, legislation doesn't allow any turn back.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Lundan Cabbie":d02en85z said:
X Isle":d02en85z said:
Quinny":d02en85z said:
X Isle":d02en85z said:
But what then?, we dropped out of the championship in 2009, are we allowed to re-instate terracing five full seasons after last hosting a championship game?, and if not why not?

Because that's the Law. Once a stadia has moved across to all-seating, they are not allowed to return to standing, not without a change in legislation. Lots of clubs are clamouring for safe-standing, but Parliament is resolute in not changing the Law. And I can see their point: no Govt would want there to be another disaster on their watch.

Thanks, if that's the definitive last word on it from the authorities then it's just nuts especially when virtually every other club in our league has terracing :facepalm:

It does make you wonder what the board's plans were during the Championship years. All too often they would tell supporters that the club was financially sound compared to others but all along were neglecting their legal responsibilities that they knew they had to comply with within three years. I guess even back then the ideal solution was to replace the grandstand but it never seemed to be a priority and then I supposed the promise of the World Cup Stadium was the answer to everything.

What legal responsibilities did they neglect? They installed seats on the Mayflower to make the stadium seating only. They were hardly going to fork out on permanent ones when they were looking at a new grandstand sf some future date.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
jerryatricjanner":2nniv0nc said:
Lundan Cabbie":2nniv0nc said:
X Isle":2nniv0nc said:
Quinny":2nniv0nc said:
X Isle":2nniv0nc said:

What legal responsibilities did they neglect? They installed seats on the Mayflower to make the stadium seating only. They were hardly going to fork out on permanent ones when they were looking at a new grandstand sf some future date.

You missed the word temporary. That was simply getting around their legal responsibilities. I guess the WC stadium addressed the all-seater issue but we know what happened to that plan. Maybe more realistic would have been plans for a new grandstand ten years ago after promotion and before the New World bandwaggon turned up.

Moleman

✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2006
Plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":3udbcdf8 said:
jerryatricjanner":3udbcdf8 said:
Lundan Cabbie":3udbcdf8 said:
X Isle":3udbcdf8 said:
Quinny":3udbcdf8 said:
X Isle":3udbcdf8 said:

You missed the word temporary. That was simply getting around their legal responsibilities. I guess the WC stadium addressed the all-seater issue but we know what happened to that plan. Maybe more realistic would have been plans for a new grandstand ten years ago after promotion and before the New World bandwaggon turned up.

There WERE plans for a grandstand and more than 10 years ago, I've still got a copy of the original architects (BARR) drawings. When the "new" horseshoe was built (phase one) there was an agreement in place to quickly follow it with phase two (new grandstand) it was to be part financed by the council in return for a renegotiated lease. However the council changed and ran out of money, Argyle got promoted again and were faced with 3 years to sort out the new stand without council assistance. What followed was the purchase of the freehold, grand plans but temporary stands, a takeover, a World Cup bid, a FIFA stitch up, a reversal of fortune and the spiral to almost destruction.....

You should all mostly know the rest...

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Lundan Cabbie":2l4vbz77 said:

Cardiff set a precedent IIR because they were given special dispensation to extend the 3-year limit on upgrading Ninian Park as they were waiting on their new stadium. I expect the Board thought they could eek out replacing the grandstand for an extra couple of years if they could convince the FA and Football League of their plans and business models. It certainly feels like there was a mañana attitude when it came to the grandstand back then, though.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Lundan I don't need to use the word temporary when I say they were hardly going to fork out on permanent ones do I? They weren't trying to get around anything. The plans for a new main stand had been there for many years but the seats installed could have served the club much longer than they were there for if we had remained in the 2nd tier. It was the only sensible solution at the time.

Mar 29, 2011
I'm sure I read the figure was £250k but this was per season for the hire of the seats.

Also, temporary stands can't be that expensive. Shrewsbury hired 2 additional temporary stands which were only available for the Chelsea game. They must have seen a value in adding these so it's possible for us to do similar.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
I don't know, but I can't imagine temporary seating would cost a great deal for the odd game or two - a promotion clincher or play off semi final perhaps would attract enough interest to justify adding extra seats so that we're not turning people away. It might not be a profitable venture, but the opportunity to supply seats if the demand is there should be grabbed - a chance to convert more casual football fans to regular greens is of far greater value and importance than the necessity to cash in on a quick buck. The debate here should be whether the 13k (?) we can currently hold is enough for the potential end of season fixtures?