Sheridan in/out thread | Page 37 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sheridan in/out thread

Do we need a change of manager?

• Yes

Votes: 122 54.2%
  • No

Votes: 75 33.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 28 12.4%

• Total voters
Apr 3, 2010
I don't think he should go no way when we are well placed after 11 games despite not playing very well at all, no way the board should be expected to pay up a huge amount if money either just completely senseless at this moment in time. I also fail to see who we could realistically bring on board here that would do a better job without buying a manager out of a contract at another club. It's daft even considering it the last thing this club needs is more upturn we need stability and continuity we are in a stable place at the minute without uprooting trees we are heading in the right direction.

Mar 29, 2011
lewjam14":1ls1cx3x said:
i will start making banners like the Newcastle fans for the swindon game

sheridan out

You're my hero. I wish I could be more like you when I grow big! :doh:

Sep 6, 2006
pearces greens":2sofwced said:
No manager should be sacked when in 8th place, early days yet, next two games could bring 6 points, Christmas will tell, if we are in the playoff positions he should be given the chance to push on, a new manager will not make our players any better, too much emphasis is placed on a manager, once they cross the white line its up to them, they aint good enough full stop.

So the players aren't good enough..... Who brought them here I wonder?
A manager can make players play better anyway without a doubt. He can motivate them, give them more belief, improve training, get them to play better as a team. Thats HIS job!!

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
LostPilgrim":18lbfkke said:
8th in the league after 11 games and the majority on here want to sack the manager! Who the hell do we think we are?! :lol:

I think that quite a few people are obviously capable of seeing past the fortuitous results we've had and recognise that, despite our current dizzying position of 8th in division 4 no less (woop woop), that promotion is distinctly unlikely if we are happy to allow teams like Shrewsbury (no away goals in 7 hours of football) to utterly dictate the pace of the game on our own patch and show us how a ball is actually passed between two team mates.
People it seems are also capable of seeing when a player who has been brought to this club is either a.) being played woefully out of position or b.) is devoid of any discernible qualities (Smalley, Morgan) or c.) Devoid of any discernible desire (Smalley).
Perhaps you will be happy come the end of the season if we finish 9th as it will 'represent an improvement on last season', I really don't know. Perhaps, on the strength of the performances you've witnessed this season you're convinced that JS is moulding these players into a team that is likely to achieve promotion. From where I'm sat (and I'm desperate to be proven wrong, believe me) I see no evidence that we'll be playing League 1 football next season, and that is the ONLY way this season will be judged a success.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
How many wins do we need to have at home before it stops being a load of 'fortuitous' results and starts being the result of having good defenders and goalkeeper?

We must be close to that point, no? Luck can only stretch for so long.

Dec 7, 2006
PlymouthLoyal":3cu61ema said:
I don't think he should go no way when we are well placed after 11 games despite not playing very well at all, no way the board should be expected to pay up a huge amount if money either just completely senseless at this moment in time. I also fail to see who we could realistically bring on board here that would do a better job without buying a manager out of a contract at another club. It's daft even considering it the last thing this club needs is more upturn we need stability and continuity we are in a stable place at the minute without uprooting trees we are heading in the right direction.
:facepalm: :oops:

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
The biggest gripe with me is that we have the best pitch in the league and yet we never put it to use by playing FOOTBALL on it, instead its just a long pass up to Reuben and expecting him to turn in to Messi or Ronaldo.

May 1, 2011
GreenSam":27vdru8h said:
How many wins do we need to have at home before it stops being a load of 'fortuitous' results and starts being the result of having good defenders and goalkeeper?

How many away day defeats do we have to have before it stops being anyone and anything but the responsibility of the manager? Excuses can only stretch for so long.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Bristol Rich":3i2wpfmu said:
GreenSam":3i2wpfmu said:

How many away day defeats do we have to have before it stops being anyone and anything but the responsibility of the manager? Excuses can only stretch for so long.
I completely agree and that's why I'm not pro-Sheridan anymore. Look back through my recent posts and I've continued to say the excuses have run dry for him. I just agree with credit where it's due. He deserves it for the home game but not the aways.

May 1, 2011
GreenSam":rswxp9nc said:
Bristol Rich":rswxp9nc said:
GreenSam":rswxp9nc said:

I completely agree and that's why I'm not pro-Sheridan anymore. Look back through my recent posts and I've continued to say the excuses have run dry for him. I just agree with credit where it's due. He deserves it for the home game but not the aways.

I think the issue was on Saturday it was so boring, everyone is fed up and it feels like a wet Sunday in St Budeux. The team won yes, but the trash served up has had this decimating effect.

Dec 2, 2005
London
up_the_line":1pj6yn9t said:
LostPilgrim":1pj6yn9t said:
8th in the league after 11 games and the majority on here want to sack the manager! Who the hell do we think we are?! :lol:

I think that quite a few people are obviously capable of seeing past the fortuitous results we've had and recognise that, despite our current dizzying position of 8th in division 4 no less (woop woop), that promotion is distinctly unlikely if we are happy to allow teams like Shrewsbury (no away goals in 7 hours of football) to utterly dictate the pace of the game on our own patch and show us how a ball is actually passed between two team mates.
People it seems are also capable of seeing when a player who has been brought to this club is either a.) being played woefully out of position or b.) is devoid of any discernible qualities (Smalley, Morgan) or c.) Devoid of any discernible desire (Smalley).
Perhaps you will be happy come the end of the season if we finish 9th as it will 'represent an improvement on last season', I really don't know. Perhaps, on the strength of the performances you've witnessed this season you're convinced that JS is moulding these players into a team that is likely to achieve promotion. From where I'm sat (and I'm desperate to be proven wrong, believe me) I see no evidence that we'll be playing League 1 football next season, and that is the ONLY way this season will be judged a success.

How many goals did Shrewsbury score after "utterly dictat[ing] the pace of the game"?

I won't be happy unless we reach the at least the play offs. 8th after a quarter of the season (having lost our captain and bought almost an entire new defence) would suggest that is a distinct possibility.

Nov 4, 2012
I just don't think Sheridan has the passion for the club. I've just been reading a book of classic Argyle matches, perhaps someone should show it to Sheridan to show him what this club means. Most of the games are before my time but still. League cup Semi-finals against Leicester and Man City, the FA Cup semi at Villa Park. The 4-0 promotion game against Bristol City, 6-3 against Leeds, 35,000 fans at Wembley in 96... And games I can remember 2-0 against QPR to clinch the title, beating Derby 2-0 to reach the Cup quarter final, beating Wednesday 3-1 at Hillsborough to go top of the league. This is a great club and we need a passionate manager to take us forward and bring back the good times.

Jul 18, 2011
The only team that Luggy had a passion for was Dundee United, remember the horrible Orange kit. I think our best mangers have not been passionate but professional - Pulis and Warnock are both good examples. In each case they took an underperforming team and got results immediately.

I think the last good and passionate manager we had was Dave Smith who also produced teams that played good football.

And if it comes down to it, if it's a choice between poor football that gets results and losing I know which I will take.

May 1, 2011
LostPilgrim":3emmw8cb said:
up_the_line":3emmw8cb said:
LostPilgrim":3emmw8cb said:

How many goals did Shrewsbury score after "utterly dictat[ing] the pace of the game"?

I won't be happy unless we reach the at least the play offs. 8th after a quarter of the season (having lost our captain and bought almost an entire new defence) would suggest that is a distinct possibility.

I think the point is among the other excellent points raised is the post is that Argyle should not be hanging on at home against a poor side like Shrewsbury. Youl also miss the point about players constantly being played out of position.