Sheridan's future | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sheridan's future

Apr 15, 2008
London
If we'd won a few more home games, we wouldn't be having this debate. Overall, a fair season - 6 years of decline arrested, still something to play for with 4 games to go and our first 20 goal striker in many a year.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
Bristol Rich":1qblbrdv said:
Secondly he hasn't had a rubbish season but he certainly has not had a brilliant season. In my whole time of supporting Argyle there has only been 2 brilliant seasons. (25 years plus btw)
Sums it up really - a good rebuilding season - now lets push on. :scarf:

PS BRich - if you were old like me you'd have more brilliant seasons - I can add Dave Smiths team and Tony Waiters team. :lol:

May 1, 2011
tigertony":21qu304t said:
Bristol Rich":21qu304t said:
Secondly he hasn't had a rubbish season but he certainly has not had a brilliant season. In my whole time of supporting Argyle there has only been 2 brilliant seasons. (25 years plus btw)

PS BRich - if you were old like me you'd have more brilliant seasons - I can add Dave Smiths team and Tony Waiters team. :lol:

In support of my comments read how angry Sheridan is today in the Herald, he certainly doesn't think it has been a brilliant season.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Bristol Rich":39h3j2jb said:
tigertony":39h3j2jb said:
Bristol Rich":39h3j2jb said:

In support of my comments read how angry Sheridan is today in the Herald, he certainly doesn't think it has been a brilliant season.

Indeed, he set the bar for play offs pre season and he's underachieved (or at least it appears likely he will) on his own ambitions. But, that doesn't mean it's been a bad season for the club or a bad season for Sheridan. It's by no means great though, there's been a few great moments in what's been a decent season.

Jun 26, 2006
He picks the squad - He sets the formation and tactics - And he continues to do it both during the match and then for the following match. He could change things but he doesn't . Therefore he can rant all he likes in the media . Four points from the last five games at this stage of the season is not good enough . If Reid and Allesandra / Lavery had not hit a real purple patch we could /would have been in the mire .
I applaud him for the way he turned the season around but I am afraid that he like the team has come up short .

Jun 22, 2005
I'm not reading 10 bleddy pages but let me guess, some are complaining the fella who kept us up last year despite almost certain relegation and now has us finishing top 10 with a brief flirt with a playoff position is in fact a load of poo and should be sacked?

Janners :facepalm:

May 1, 2011
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":6smfofro said:
gaspargomez":6smfofro said:
Why should the target be to avoid relegation, Frazer ? Argyle have far bigger gates than most teams in League One, let alone League Two. We should have the resources to win the league. Many teams in L2 have an administration history or debts, so that's no excuse.

Avoiding relegation is no longer a marker of success. Playoffs should have been the minimum this year.

How many said that at the start of the season? The vast majority of fans said at the start of the year they'd be happy with consolidation and tbf we've been given more than that.

Next season I'd agree with you, but we have to make steps forward - not unrealistic leaps.

Sheridan said the playoffs were the marker at the start of the season. Get your facts right before you rant, that why Sheridan is so angry at the players, read the Herald today and maybe think a bit more in future before you angrily type. This is a poor league and an opportunity has been missed and Sheridan knows that better than anyone.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
Bristol Rich":2detty5f said:
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":2detty5f said:
gaspargomez":2detty5f said:
Why should the target be to avoid relegation, Frazer ? Argyle have far bigger gates than most teams in League One, let alone League Two. We should have the resources to win the league. Many teams in L2 have an administration history or debts, so that's no excuse.

Avoiding relegation is no longer a marker of success. Playoffs should have been the minimum this year.

How many said that at the start of the season? The vast majority of fans said at the start of the year they'd be happy with consolidation and tbf we've been given more than that.

Next season I'd agree with you, but we have to make steps forward - not unrealistic leaps.

Sheridan said the playoffs were the marker at the start of the season. Get your facts right before you rant, that why Sheridan is so angry at the players, read the Herald today and maybe think a bit more in future before you angrily type. This is a poor league and an opportunity has been missed and Sheridan knows that better than anyone.
Snag is some of these ''really negative vibe'' posters who want JS out forget what they wrote some months back.
GGomez wrote last September
It's too early to judge sheridan. Give the man a chance. There was a post about sturrock and warnock being available (not by me) which the moderators deleted from this board. I am a fan of those managers, who are outstanding, but it would be foolish to consider sacking Sheridan before he has a proper chance to impose himself. He deserves a full season. The club needs stability after recent seasons of chaos

Well its not a full season is it ?? Has JS had a proper chance to impose himself ?? Think not ! :whistle:

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Should Sheridan be sacked? No.

Should Sheridan be doing better with the players he has? Yes.

If we lose Alessandra, or (especially) Reid/Hourihane next season, we're toast. Unless Sheridan finds top drawer replacements for them, which looking at the amount of crap signings he's made compared to good ones, is not massively likely.

Sheridan deserves credit because in the 15 months he's been here, we've gone from 23rd to 9th. Which means he deserves to keep his job (plus sacking him with 2 years left on his contract would be another hit on our finances). But the style of football has got even worse. The only way I can see us finishing top 7 next season is if Sheridan manages to find 1 or 2 more "gems" like Reid, Alessandra and McCormick, and we manage to keep those three previously mentioned, plus Hourihane and Nelson, at the club and match fit.

F

Frazer Lloyd-Davies

Bristol Rich":1e7kc8vt said:
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":1e7kc8vt said:
For flip sake! Am I actually reading some of this utter crap?!

Sheridan appears to have been a victim of his own success. Our aim this season was to ensure we weren't in a relegation scrap. Not only has that been achieved, but we're still in the chase (outside bet admittedly) for the Play Offs.

Sheridan has had a brilliant season, as have the rest of the team. If we can keep this team together (I'm worried that Hourihane, some of the youngsters and especially Reid may leave soon) and add two or three first team starters then there's no reason why next season we can't challenge for promotion and even the title.

Get of his back for crying out loud and actually look at what he has achieved.

I'm not sure how you can say our aim this season was to avoid a relegation scrap?? That's a poor argument that you can't back up.

21st
23rd
23rd
21st
21st

Anything that doesn't start with a bloody two will go down well in my book this season!!!

Jul 6, 2005
We've all got our own opinions and that's how it should be.

However, the one opinion that really matters more than any other is that of Sheridan himself.

Unlike some easily pleased Janners, he has made it perfectly plain that avoiding relegation and even mid-table mediocrity are not what he was looking for.

He is as bitterly disappointed and frustrated as any of the critics on Pasoti - myself included - that we are throwing away a good chance of being in the mix to get out of this dreadful Division.

I think the green tints rejoicing because we are not fighting relegation to the Conference are completely overlooking this.

It's obvious by his reaction after the recent setbacks that Sheridan will regard not making the play-offs as failure

Dec 7, 2006
Its threads like this that make me wonder whats happened to X-Isle - has he given up posting coz I dont recall seeing anything from him for quite a while now? :think:

May 1, 2011
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":1hhjtm5u said:
Bristol Rich":1hhjtm5u said:
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":1hhjtm5u said:
For flip sake! Am I actually reading some of this utter crap?!

Sheridan appears to have been a victim of his own success. Our aim this season was to ensure we weren't in a relegation scrap. Not only has that been achieved, but we're still in the chase (outside bet admittedly) for the Play Offs.

Sheridan has had a brilliant season, as have the rest of the team. If we can keep this team together (I'm worried that Hourihane, some of the youngsters and especially Reid may leave soon) and add two or three first team starters then there's no reason why next season we can't challenge for promotion and even the title.

Get of his back for crying out loud and actually look at what he has achieved.

I'm not sure how you can say our aim this season was to avoid a relegation scrap?? That's a poor argument that you can't back up.

21st
23rd
23rd
21st
21st

Anything that doesn't start with a bloody two will go down well in my book this season!!!

But you said the word brilliant, exactly the opposite of what Sheridan is saying by the way.

Also what made you think that avoiding relegation fight this season was a sucess?? Again the opposite of what the manager is saying.

C

Cobi Budge.

Should Sheridan be sacked? I don't think so.

Should Sheridan be doing better with the players he has? Very much so.