Sheridan's future | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sheridan's future

Mar 23, 2008
plymptonpilgreen":1peqqpgg said:
Deacster":1peqqpgg said:
plymptonpilgreen":1peqqpgg said:
I don't believe what im reading.
We are just outside the playoffs for the first time since our dramatic fall and people want him sacked ?
Haha some argyle fans are dense they really are
Not as dense as fans who accept dire and sterile football and antiquated tactics from a bang average manager, now that is dense.
Where's the money coming from deacster? We'd all accept greatness if it were there, it aint, the money ain't so im happy to just be fighting for a play off place.

im easily pleased
Look at our squad each week and compare to the oppositions, we have one of if not the biggest squad in the league with a good number of senior pros, the budget is there.

Dec 27, 2004
Bidford on Avon
GreenSam":2y668huh said:
Pilgrim_Joe":2y668huh said:
Lies, lies and damn statistics as the saying goes.

Put another way:

Do you believe PS or NW would have lost 2 consecutive home games at the businees end of the season?

I don't
Sturrock's Southend side lost 2 in a row in February and then 1 draw and 2 losses out of 3 home games in March when they were right in the thick of the play-off push. So, yes I do. http://www.footballsite.co.uk/Statistic ... nited.html

Incidentally, Neil Warnock was sacked by Leeds in April with them only a few points off the relegation zone, after he lost....you guessed it, two home games in a row. With an away loss sandwiched in between http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80 ... s_by_round

So in answer, yes. Sturrock and Warnock are good managers but it's wrong that they are inherently winners and non-bottlers whereas Sheridan is not.

In both of those instances there were behind the scenes scheming ongoing at that time.

My own opinion of the team is that they're easily good enough to get out of this league, however, the tactics are holding then back.

It's a game of opinions and that's mine

Dec 27, 2004
Bidford on Avon
GreenSam":519ih1u5 said:
Pilgrim_Joe":519ih1u5 said:

Put another way:

Do you believe PS or NW would have lost 2 consecutive home games at the businees end of the season?

I don't
Sturrock's Southend side lost 2 in a row in February and then 1 draw and 2 losses out of 3 home games in March when they were right in the thick of the play-off push. So, yes I do. http://www.footballsite.co.uk/Statistic ... nited.html

Incidentally, Neil Warnock was sacked by Leeds in April with them only a few points off the relegation zone, after he lost....you guessed it, two home games in a row. With an away loss sandwiched in between http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80 ... s_by_round

So in answer, yes. Sturrock and Warnock are good managers but it's wrong that they are inherently winners and non-bottlers whereas Sheridan is not.

In both of those instances there were behind the scenes scheming ongoing at that time.

My own opinion of the team is that they're easily good enough to get out of this league, however, the tactics are holding then back.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Pilgrim_Joe":rc9olhul said:
GreenSam":rc9olhul said:
Pilgrim_Joe":rc9olhul said:

Put another way:

I don't

Fair enough I'm just responding to your question too.

I agree that there was probably dodgy stuff going on at Leeds behind the scenes (is there ever not?) but at Southend? Yes they've had a few financial problems but that's partly because they've spent so much on players in the first place. Even in spite of that, there's certainly been absolutely no evidence that I've ever heard of from anywhere that 'scheming' was going on anyway. Right now Southend are in a very healthy state and set to build a new stadium of a capacity well over 20,000- they just weren't really doing all that well under Luggy. Not that they're doing amazingly under Phil Clown either but then he's just a poor manager who had one good year his whole career with Hull.

Nov 4, 2012
Why are people accusing those who are backing Sheridan of having no ambition and accepting mediocrity? I don't want to forever be a mid-table 4th tier team, I want success as much as everyone else, but I am aware that success will not come instantly, when he took over his aim was to keep us up, he was succesful, this year his target should have been to consolidate, he has also achieved this. If this time next season we are in a similar position then his position should come into question but for crying out loud calling for his head is utter stupidity.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Deacster":30rvjzmo said:
First of all thanks for paying such attention to my posts, bit weird but hey ho. I make no bones about it I don't like the manager. I don't like his style of play, I don't like his lack of tactical nous, I don't like his pitch side body language, I don't like the fact be barates HIS team for his own shortcomings, I don't like the lack of a plan for the team and club, I don't like the fact he NEVER changes a game and leaves his subs too late........I could go on. So yes, we when lose a game with a pith poor performance, lack of tactics and fight then yes I fo blame him.

Just as a matter of interest, can you recall which way you voted ?
Pre Season Poll

Dec 27, 2004
Bidford on Avon
Hi Frank

I voted for play offs and despite the indifferent middle I always believed that was very achievable.

The impression I get, rightly or wrongly is that the winning formula was stumbled upon.

If as now looks probable we don't make it this year - does anyone think we would be genuine contenders for automatic next year with the same setup?

Mar 23, 2008
Frank_Butcher":mp41fv86 said:
Deacster":mp41fv86 said:
First of all thanks for paying such attention to my posts, bit weird but hey ho. I make no bones about it I don't like the manager. I don't like his style of play, I don't like his lack of tactical nous, I don't like his pitch side body language, I don't like the fact be barates HIS team for his own shortcomings, I don't like the lack of a plan for the team and club, I don't like the fact he NEVER changes a game and leaves his subs too late........I could go on. So yes, we when lose a game with a pith poor performance, lack of tactics and fight then yes I fo blame him.

Pre Season Poll
Mid-table if I recall correctly, so I should be a happy camper but not so. For me it's not where we are, but the general feel. If you said to me in Aug we would be in with a shout of the play offs I would have bitten your hand up but the football is just so very poor I'm far from happy. Being honest.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
gaspargomez":2w7slcje said:
Sheridan is probably as good as any other manager that club could afford, with the exception of Sturrock and Warnock.
Either of those would get Argyle promoted next season, I reckon. And I expect both would be happy to take the job if it was offered.
Sorry, but that's my strong belief.
Wasn't quite your belief last Septmber though
It's too early to judge sheridan. Give the man a chance.
There was a post about sturrock and warnock being available (not by me) which the moderators deleted from this board. I am a fan of those managers, who are outstanding, but it would be foolish to consider sacking Sheridan before he has a proper chance to impose himself. He deserves a full season. The club needs stability after recent seasons of chaos

Just before I start, I don't want to be labelled as some sort of Adrian Durham-style sycophant who won't allow any questioning of the management. I can and I will question the management when I feel it is necessary and I do think that there are occasions when managers just need to depart. These are just the honest views that I hold on our situation, having had time to think it over during the weekend.

I don't think we're down the sh*tter like a lot seem to.

We've suffered a bad run of form. We've have bottled it in big games in front of big crowds, especially at home. Sheridan, at times, has shown an infuriating stubbornness and made some tactical decisions that can only be described as baffling. I'm not saying that he's a flawless manager, because his flaws, namely his lack of a plan B, are easy to spot. I do however think that overall Sheridan's done a good job, and we should be looking forward with (cautious) optimism, rather than the incessant pessimism that crawls over this site.

Most of the fanbase at the start of the season wanted a quiet season of stability - that's what we're almost certainly going to get. We've flirted with the play-offs, probably going to come just short and now some want him gone. I don't doubt that some of the people who want him to go are the same that would, at the start of the season, have taken a 10th place finish. We all say things in the heat of the moment that we regret - I think it's better to take a moment, pause and look at the bigger picture. Sheridan's taken a club that's been infected with a culture of losing for god-knows-how-long and turned them into a decent outfit, closer to promotion than relegation, more good than bad. As Portsmouth have shown, it's not just as easy as "we've got a big budget, go and get us the title". Besides which, I doubt our budget is quite on the level of Chesterfield, Pompey or Oxford.

Yes, next season we should be aiming for top seven at the very least, and if we finish outside of that then there's something seriously wrong either in the dugout or in the boardroom and Sheridan may have to depart. But Sheridan's overcome most of his hurdles so far and deserves the chance to try and get us up next term. Sheridan successfully steered us to safety last campaign and he's astutely guided us to a safe, upper-mid-table position in this. He's proven he can take teams up from this league before - he might not be able to do so with Argyle but he deserves a go at it.

I would certainly feel more comfortable with Sheridan at the helm than Warnock or Sturrock. I don't doubt that either of the latter two care deeply about the club and love the region, but they're outdated. Most sides in League Two aren't hoof-and-hope any more, including us. We have bad games but on our day we're a slick side to watch - both Warnock and Sturrock's styles are more boring to watch than Sheridan's. The way I see it, thanks for the past, like both on a personal level but I'd rather move on without someone who thinks Michael Brown is an adequate replacement for Jonny Howson.

Moving onto criticism of the players. Some have been saying we need to rebuild: I don't agree. The spine of the team is solid and mostly young: Hourihane, Young, Alessandra, Nelson, Parsons, McCormick, Banton (if he gets his act together next season). We have decent squad players and hungry youngsters like Purrington, Cole, Lane, Harvey and Blanchard waiting in the wings. We do have some deadwood and Sheridan does have to take some blame bringing in players like Boco, Morgan and Trotman, but clear that out, get a few quality players in and we're a promotion-contending outfit. I see rebuilding as clearing out virtually everyone and starting again. This core, while admittedly inconsistent, has got us to the edge of the play-offs. I'd say what we need to do is 'retool'.

Sorry for the very long post (must be turning into GreenSam!) - I just felt like I had to get this off my chest before I went to bed. I know some will deride me as a happy-clapper 'green tint' but I think I'm just a pragmatist. 'You're never as good as you think you are after you win, but you're never as bad as you think you are after you lose'.

G

Greenskin

Deacster":ueymg1e2 said:
Greenskin":ueymg1e2 said:
Deacster":ueymg1e2 said:
plymptonpilgreen":ueymg1e2 said:
I don't believe what im reading.
We are just outside the playoffs for the first time since our dramatic fall and people want him sacked ?
Haha some argyle fans are dense they really are
Not as dense as fans who accept dire and sterile football and antiquated tactics from a bang average manager, now that is dense.

The intriguing aspect of your posts is the apparent double standards contained therein.Not suggesting for one minute that things are ideal at the moment or that Sheridan is the perfect manager but it must be said that things are a darned sight better than they were a year ago or when Sheridan took the job in January 2013-the league position confirms that,slim chance of a play off place rather than a relegation battle-surely that can't be contradicted.You've wasted no opportunity to slag Sheridan off,in fact it occurs just about every time that Argyle lose a game,no problem with that-you have your opinion and have a right to express it.Just strikes me as rather odd and illogical that i can't remember you applying the same standards when Argyle were losing match after match under the previous manager,who i do believe was defended until the last ditch and maybe beyond by yourself.Again,that isn't really a problem,just seems rather a contrary position to hold-would there be an element of one law for one but not for the other in your point of view? Just wondering.

Certainly nothing weird about it old cock-it's just so fudgeing obvious that every time Argyle lose,you come on and launch a diatribe against Sheridan.I don't think there's anything especially weird either about remembering that we had some strong arguments about the merits and demerits of Fletcher during his reign and subsequent sacking but if that is so,then i agree that i would appear to be an obsessive,stalking creep.

Now that's been sorted out,still puzzled that a manager who has taken the club from the pits of the division to the edge of the play offs can apparently have no good qualities whereas the previous manager,who was taking the club to places it had never been before,such as Hyde,Alfreton and Salisbury,apparently had plenty but, as you say,hey-ho.

Jan 26, 2013
Plymouth
Agree with the above. Just because Fletcher had a connection with the supporters that Sheridan doesn't should absolutely not cloud our opinions when making judgments on their managerial ability. I desperately wanted Fletcher to succeed and defended him right up until his final game but after that defeat it became evident that we were heading into the conference without change. People have short memories- CF's final 15 games saw us win ONE and also included a terrific 1-0 defeat to the mighty Dorchester. And remember who signed Gilmartin, Rhys Griffiths, Cowan-Hall, Lowry etc. The reality is we have improved immeasurably in the past 16 months and if we (hopefully) continue that trend we will be in League 1 by 2015..... :think:

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Deacster":2qobt0xn said:
Frank_Butcher":2qobt0xn said:
Deacster":2qobt0xn said:

Pre Season Poll
Mid-table if I recall correctly, so I should be a happy camper but not so. For me it's not where we are, but the general feel. If you said to me in Aug we would be in with a shout of the play offs I would have bitten your hand up but the football is just so very poor I'm far from happy. Being honest.

Do you attend away games?

May 1, 2011
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":9s7lw05p said:
For flip sake! Am I actually reading some of this utter crap?!

Sheridan appears to have been a victim of his own success. Our aim this season was to ensure we weren't in a relegation scrap. Not only has that been achieved, but we're still in the chase (outside bet admittedly) for the Play Offs.

Sheridan has had a brilliant season, as have the rest of the team. If we can keep this team together (I'm worried that Hourihane, some of the youngsters and especially Reid may leave soon) and add two or three first team starters then there's no reason why next season we can't challenge for promotion and even the title.

Get of his back for crying out loud and actually look at what he has achieved.

I'm not sure how you can say our aim this season was to avoid a relegation scrap?? That's a poor argument that you can't back up.

Secondly he hasn't had a rubbish season but he certainly has not had a brilliant season. In my whole time of supporting Argyle there has only been 2 brilliant seasons. (25 years plus btw)