Sheridan's future | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sheridan's future

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Frank_Butcher":3f87ry27 said:
There are many positives to be taken from this season. By and large Sheridan's transfer dealings have been sound with some notable exceptions, however there will always be failings in any transfer policy. Just consider a team with Soukouna, Williams, Gorman, Lennox, Chadwick and Griffiths and then think where we are now. Defensively we're much better (48 goals conceded in 42) and we have a strike force, that on their day can be as good as anything else in the league (Reid/ Alessandra) - as the stats will tell.

The big failing for me is no surprise - tactical awareness. It's getting repetitive and frustrating at the same time and he seems to have developed a 3-5-2 dogma since discovering a winning formula at Fleetwood. Flexibility and awareness to change are what's needed and hence my suggestion that he (or perhaps one of the other coaching staff) work from the stand.

But perhaps his biggest failing is his failure to connect with the fans. He appears brash in public and gives off an impression that he hasn't committed himself to the club or region. If he had, I think fans would be much more forgiving and see this season as progress regardless of how it ends up.

On balance - definitely stay for me.

Spot on! Stay for me. Sheridan has signed some decent players and got us into contention for the play-offs, something we could only dream about during the last six years.

BUT, and it's a big but, he fails once the ref blows the whistle to start a game, he cannot influence a game with tactical awareness, he may throw on a few subs and hope for the best, however too often Sheridan is outwitted by the opposition manager.
It's during a game where a manager should really earn his wage and make tactical changes. It's Plan A and nothing else.

Perhaps he needs the coaches from his Chesterfield days alongside him in the dugout?

The frustrating thing for all of us is that Sheridan has done so well to get us in with a shout of the play-offs but we are just failing at the final hurdle when a few tweaks to the team during important matches (Exeter and Oxford) could have gained us a few extra points.

May 16, 2005
Elburton
I'm grateful to the man for digging us out of the mire last season.

I'm also pleased to have a season where we've not had to look over our shoulders for the first time in years.

However, I doubt that he's the man to take us forward, given his obvious lack of tactical nous.

Change in the summer please.

Jan 26, 2013
Plymouth
So if Sheridan is 'tactically inept' what does that make the likes of Fletcher and Mariner? Most fans expected this season to be one of consolidation before it started, so for many to be calling for Sheridan's head when we have more than consolidated is bemusing. I think we're getting there- yesterday was poor and marked the end of our season pretty much but Sheridan knows what we're lacking and he deserves to have the chance to build a team worthy of challenging for promotion next season.

Jan 12, 2009
He has to stay, has done a great job this season and is building a team. I think we will see him move a lot of players out and improve the side all over.

With the tactical stuff, sometimes he gets it spot on, sometimes he doesn't, that's why he is in league 2!

A big thing this season was Lavery, if we had kept him with Lewi out wide we would be for sure In the playoffs.

Mar 23, 2008
plymptonpilgreen":8115ox13 said:
I don't believe what im reading.
We are just outside the playoffs for the first time since our dramatic fall and people want him sacked ?
Haha some argyle fans are dense they really are
Not as dense as fans who accept dire and sterile football and antiquated tactics from a bang average manager, now that is dense.

Feb 13, 2004
Not where I should be.
Deacster":3rprd0ns said:
plymptonpilgreen":3rprd0ns said:
We are just outside the playoffs for the first time since our dramatic fall and people want him sacked ?
Not as dense as fans who accept dire and sterile football and antiquated tactics from a bang average manager, now that is dense.

That's us is it?

The team that won 1-2 at Newport on Tuesday, the team that won 1-3 at Cheltenham, the team that won 5-0 at home to Morecambe, the team that beat Fleetwood 0-4?

FFS! We are in the best position for years, with more hope than ever and we are useless. I despair sometimes, if we were playing Liverpool or Man City this afternoon to win the Premiership there are some 'fans' on here that would be calling for the manager's head.

D

djkmeva

What did we expect? An excellent second half of the season kept us up last year, did we really expect to jump from the brink of non-league football to promotion in such a short space of time?

I would have settled for a mid-table, quiet season back in August and not have the depressing feeling we've had for the last 4-5 years, the fact that we're even in contention for the play-offs this late in the season is a hell of a turnaround.

Admittedly the football isn't the best to watch but progress has been made :D

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
Deacster":1h39lkcn said:
plymptonpilgreen":1h39lkcn said:
Bang average eh ? His overall win rate at Argyle is 40%
Now who else can we compare that with ?????
Kieth Hill - his is about 40% after taking out his Barnsley fiasco
John Ward (the messiah until the train stopped at Bristol) - 36%
and
Paul Sturrock who has 40% overall and 40% at Argyle alone.
Neil Warnock who has almost 40% overall and 40% at Argyle alone.

So it seems you need 40% to succeed - I'll rest my case m'lud :whistle:

Dec 27, 2004
Bidford on Avon
Lies, lies and damn statistics as the saying goes.

Put another way:

Do you believe PS or NW would have lost 2 consecutive home games at the businees end of the season?

I don't

N

newquaygreen

Pilgrim_Joe":1lakg6xb said:
Lies, lies and damn statistics as the saying goes.

Put another way:

Do you believe PS or NW would have lost 2 consecutive home games at the businees end of the season?

I don't

But they weren't playing

G

Greenskin

Deacster":98t5ti0u said:
plymptonpilgreen":98t5ti0u said:

The intriguing aspect of your posts is the apparent double standards contained therein.Not suggesting for one minute that things are ideal at the moment or that Sheridan is the perfect manager but it must be said that things are a darned sight better than they were a year ago or when Sheridan took the job in January 2013-the league position confirms that,slim chance of a play off place rather than a relegation battle-surely that can't be contradicted.You've wasted no opportunity to slag Sheridan off,in fact it occurs just about every time that Argyle lose a game,no problem with that-you have your opinion and have a right to express it.Just strikes me as rather odd and illogical that i can't remember you applying the same standards when Argyle were losing match after match under the previous manager,who i do believe was defended until the last ditch and maybe beyond by yourself.Again,that isn't really a problem,just seems rather a contrary position to hold-would there be an element of one law for one but not for the other in your point of view? Just wondering.

Jan 27, 2012
Sheridan is probably as good as any other manager that club could afford, with the exception of Sturrock and Warnock.

Either of those would get Argyle promoted next season, I reckon. And I expect both would be happy to take the job if it was offered.

Sorry, but that's my strong belief.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
Greenskin":1uwvce7u said:
Deacster":1uwvce7u said:
plymptonpilgreen":1uwvce7u said:

but it must be said that things are a darned sight better than they were a year ago or when Sheridan took the job in January 2013-the league position confirms that,slim chance of a play off place rather than a relegation battle-surely that can't be contradicted.
Absolutely right - it can't be contradicted because its not an equation throwing in different stats. Its a hard fact - league tables don't lie.

tigertony":1uwvce7u said:
Bang average eh ? His overall win rate at Argyle is 40%
Now who else can we compare that with ?????
Kieth Hill - his is about 40% after taking out his Barnsley fiasco
John Ward (the messiah until the train stopped at Bristol) - 36%
Paul Sturrock who has 40% overall and 40% at Argyle alone.
Neil Warnock who has almost 40% overall and 40% at Argyle alone.
So it seems you need 40% to succeed - I'll rest my case m'lud :whistle:
These figures are not a manipulation of other facts. These are hard stats not lies and can be confirmed by anyone. Win % are facts so why would we want to replace a 40% with .... um .... 40% or even ... um a 40%
Pointless - anyway JS is our manager and so far he's improved the results beyond our expectations (in most cases) so let him see out the contract and then really measure performance.

I now expect a arguement based on:
He hasn't moved his family down - neither have a million other workers in UK
His footy, during recovery and rebuild, is not attractive enough - its the same group who were slagging off TP !
Some signings have proved to be carp - always happens just like Torres to Chelsea
Players don't seem motivated in some games - happens in footy just like England in last WC
JS seems disinterested just leaning on the dugout - just like Sturrock did last time he was here.
Give him a chance FFS

F

Frazer Lloyd-Davies

For fudge sake! Am I actually reading some of this utter crap?!

Sheridan appears to have been a victim of his own success. Our aim this season was to ensure we weren't in a relegation scrap. Not only has that been achieved, but we're still in the chase (outside bet admittedly) for the Play Offs.

Sheridan has had a brilliant season, as have the rest of the team. If we can keep this team together (I'm worried that Hourihane, some of the youngsters and especially Reid may leave soon) and add two or three first team starters then there's no reason why next season we can't challenge for promotion and even the title.

Get of his back for crying out loud and actually look at what he has achieved.

Jan 27, 2012
Why should the target be to avoid relegation, Frazer ? Argyle have far bigger gates than most teams in League One, let alone League Two. We should have the resources to win the league. Many teams in L2 have an administration history or debts, so that's no excuse.

Avoiding relegation is no longer a marker of success. Playoffs should have been the minimum this year.