Sheridan's future | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sheridan's future

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I reckon half of Argyle's problem is that there are not enough leaders in the team with a will to win. This is summed up by JS's reference to PW being a shouting organiser, amongst a team of apparent mutes. The trouble with PW is that he is now at an age that shouting alone will not cover-up his playing decline from his glory days 8 or so years ago.

The open question remains is whether JS can shake up his playing stock for next season and bring in the characters that he so much craves for. In this mission he will be hindered possibly by reluctance of his first choices to move south and west, along with a shallow depth of enrolement kitty.

I do not envy his task, but somehow he needs to create more consistency, midfield strength, and individual drive in a greater number of his on-field personnel, for Argyle to climb out of the basement. Luggy did it by enrolling Celts and Scots in abundance, that he knew from his previous contact. I do not know where JS is going to fish for his but at least he is better qualified than Fletch.

Jan 26, 2009
Morecambe
I never said I know better, I was just curious.
You can put words in my mouth if you like, but it wont get you very far.

But go you superfan for living close enough to go to the game.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Quintrell_Green":ycad0mol said:
I reckon half of Argyle's problem is that there are not enough leaders in the team with a will to win. This is summed up by JS's reference to PW being a shouting organiser, amongst a team of apparent mutes. The trouble with PW is that he is now at an age that shouting alone will not cover-up his playing decline from his glory days 8 or so years ago.

The open question remains is whether JS can shake up his playing stock for next season and bring in the characters that he so much craves for. In this mission he will be hindered possibly by reluctance of his first choices to move south and west, along with a shallow depth of enrolement kitty.

I do not envy his task, but somehow he needs to create more consistency, midfield strength, and individual drive in a greater number of his on-field personnel, for Argyle to climb out of the basement. Luggy did it by enrolling Celts and Scots in abundance, that he knew from his previous contact. I do not know where JS is going to fish for his but at least he is better qualified than Fletch.

As well as recruiting leaders on the pitch he could also sign the two coaches from his days as manager of Chesterfield. Did they ever find new clubs or did one stay at Chesterfield? It's now looking obvious that they provided the tactical insight during matches to help Sheridan.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
David Doidge":1t04sqzq said:
The trouble with people today is they want success instantly and life doesnt work like that I am afraid.
Sorry David but you can't accuse Argyle fans of that. More than any others in the whole damn Football league we have endured years now of unmitigated kak and still turn up in astonishing numbers. Instant success? Really? - is that what we're expecting?

It's a poor league with little between the top and bottom in terms of quality. He has had better conditions and funds than most to work with and although overall the results have been acceptable the performances (even when we've won) have too often been p*** poor. Please can someone tell me what his 'style' of football actually is? I've got no idea what the Hell he's trying to do. If I could see him building something believe me I'd be patient. But the football is God-awful. Even worse than facing my Exeter supporting friends after our recent humiliation was not knowing how to answer their genuine astonishment at our brainless long ball 'tactics' and inability to string more than three passes together.

Here's a telling stat I've been sad enough to check. Since the beginning of February (which includes our recent purple patch) we've played 15 games but had less than 50% possession in 11 of them (even the 5-0 against Morecambe was only 52%). How many of those could we hand-on-heart say we deserved to win? How often did we really outplay the opposition? How often have we basically relied on a punt up to Reid? Is our position justified? Can we endure this style of play anymore?

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
Last season we almost fell out of the football league. This season we are play off contenders. Somethings gone right somewhere!

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Sheridans` biggest mistake was getting us in a play off spot (briefly), this has triggered all manner of wishing and wanting, the team have flattered to deceive. At the beginning of the season I and many others would have been content to finish where we now find ourselves. The players that he has signed are the best of those that were prepared to come to Plymouth on the wages available, like it or not, the fact of geography is indeed relevant. I think he will complete the job in hand and get us out of this league. Faith and patience Janners.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
Cobi Budge.":1gdn32pw said:
"We were nearly relegated once = we should have no ambition forever."

Seems to be the unfortunate mindset of many.
Twice in back to back seasons. You cannot turn a tanker around in a harbour when you need to weld the seaward side. You have to take it out to sea then turn it round slowly and bring it in again. Then you can start working on it. The tanker is back alongside and work is beginning. Its a big tanker and takes time.

40% win rate in his 61 games is quite good and is the win rate you need for the playoffs. Major difference is to draw more than you lose of the remaining games.

Give JS a chance FFS

Jul 10, 2013
What madness am I reading? Every single person would have taken this at the start of the season, he has done a good job this year all the team are missing is consistency! Can't believe some people are writing a promotion push off next season with Sheridan before we have even finished this season!!! In my opinion I don't give a toss whether he lives in Plymouth/spends his time here, all I care about is the results on Saturdays!
Admittedly Oxford weren't all that good we were awful and the 352 doesn't work, we have TIME and look what time we gave Sheridan earlier in the season to work our way up the table. A sacking would be absolutely ridiculous considering he still has 2 years left.
Calm down