Sheridan's future | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sheridan's future

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
I thought that at the start of the season most of us would have been happy with a top ten/top half finish in which we flirted with the play-offs. That's what we've got, ergo we've got the season that most people would have accepted from day one.

So, so far he's done a good job by the standards that probably 95% of us set him at the start of the season. Next season, unless the budget he's got to play with is dramatically slashed then the expectation should be promotion or at the very least top seven. I think he kept us up when he had to, he's turned us into a decent top ten outfit now. This is what the vast majority of us said would be a good season back in July. The next step is to take us up. He's a good manager, he's turned us into a side with pride in ourselves again (albeit inconsistent): and the next step is to go up. Let's give him next season (with hopefully the same budget, we'll see on that score) and I don't see why he can't do it.

I'm amazed personally that so many want him out. We all (pretty much all) said this would be an inconsistent transition season with a few bumps and a few ups and downs. That's exactly what we've got. Obviously it's a game of opinions but I'm just bemused. Did we all forget saying that this would be a good season? But I'm not just being green tinted- if we don't go up next year it's a failure in my eyes.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
NJS37":3lah69iu said:
What madness am I reading?
GreenSam":3lah69iu said:
I thought that at the start of the season most of us would have been happy with a top ten/top half finish in which we flirted with the play-offs. That's what we've got, ergo we've got the season that most people would have accepted from day one.
I'm amazed personally that so many want him out. We all (pretty much all) said this would be an inconsistent transition season with a few bumps and a few ups and downs. That's exactly what we've got. Obviously it's a game of opinions but I'm just bemused. Did we all forget saying that this would be a good season? But I'm not just being green tinted- if we don't go up next year it's a failure in my eyes.
Calm down
At last some common sense. :thumbup:

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
He set expectations high preseason when he announced play offs were the target. We're falling short of that, no doubt, but that does not mean the season is a poor one. It's a significant improvement on the drab we've been delivered for the last few years. I'm a fan of Sheridan's, stick with him and he'll have us a squad playing some quality football I'm sure of it.

Jun 15, 2013
Back him. Though we are continuously losing at the important moment, it is obvious that we have got improved significantly.
If we cannot get promoted, there will be a exciting next season.

Mar 23, 2008
GreenSam":fbv35b7d said:

So, so far he's done a good job by the standards that probably 95% of us set him at the start of the season. Next season, unless the budget he's got to play with is dramatically slashed then the expectation should be promotion or at the very least top seven. I think he kept us up when he had to, he's turned us into a decent top ten outfit now. This is what the vast majority of us said would be a good season back in July. The next step is to take us up. He's a good manager, he's turned us into a side with pride in ourselves again (albeit inconsistent): and the next step is to go up. Let's give him next season (with hopefully the same budget, we'll see on that score) and I don't see why he can't do it.

I think though that's the point Sam, I speak to myself abd I think many others when I say I don't feel proud of this team. Thet lack guts and play anti football, it's dire to watch. I agree in the sense of league position, if we finish there that's in theory a good spot. The issue for me is how we get there abd frankly I'd rather we finished a little lower if we had evidence of a progressive game plan, had blooded youngsters, witnessed a manager who has a clear path for the future and was dynamic emough to achieve it. Instead with JS in charge I feel genuinely despondent, the last two home games have been scarily bad with long ball football and antiquated and basic tactics.

Dec 2, 2010
The unfortunate thing is that if ever there was a season that it was going to be 'easier' to get out of this division, this was it. It is the poorest of the 3 seasons we've been it and we've had our best finish......not a coincidence?

The way the season is ending, it will be an improvement and acceptable, but, the club would have failed to meet their own target if we don't reach the play-offs. So in that respect, it is (will be) a failure. And JS has failed. No argument. However, most fans expectations were so low that most will be happy come 3 May.

I think many of us are concerned at JS's tactical nous and his inability to change a game, particularly when we go a goal down. Over 8,000 people could see the tactics needed to change yesterday and that a goal was coming, but the person who counts couldn't....or wouldn't! He is increasingly frustrated at the performances, particularly at home, and the players not doing what he wants.....well, ultimately, that's a reflection on him! We can't win every game, but this is trotted out too often for my liking.

The statistics yesterday are shameful for a home team going for promotion. An Argyle win, given the other results, would have set us up nicely and put our destiny back in our hands, plus Oxford play York on Friday.

It will be interesting to see how things unfold over the summer and how serious the club is in progressing or just happy treading water?

On JS, I am pretty ambivalent. He has improved us, but he has the limitations above. Would I be bothered if he wasn't here....no!

N

newquaygreen

PAFC94":3ks6vvok said:
Managers are sacked far too often, Sheridan has turned us from relegation certanties to a solid League 2 team, sometimes he gets it wrong but he has done a good job, give him the summer and see how he does next season.

Agreed.
He has done what was asked of him I am sure for this season.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I think we have to trust him again next season in the present circumstances. Unless he is making a right mare of things which some might say he is I prefer continuity. Sacking the manager is not always the answer. Just look at the Premier league. 8 managers sacked during the course of this season and Palace are the only team in a better league position than they were before the sacking. But please trim the squad size Sheridan and improve the first choice eleven.

Sep 16, 2009
Bournemouth
Give him one more season, if we finish the league mid table again next year, time for a change maybe. Argyle are a big club in this league and its just not good enough where we. Look at how Pompey have changed since they appointed Andy Awford. Sometimes change is good!

Sep 28, 2011
I don't believe what im reading.
We are just outside the playoffs for the first time since our dramatic fall and people want him sacked ?
Haha some argyle fans are dense they really are

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I think they are in a fairly small minority though Plymptonpilgreen.

Sep 28, 2011
jerryatricjanner":ij1hiv6n said:
I think they are in a fairly small minority though Plymptonpilgreen.
I agree JJ. Still doesn't make it any easier to read though.
Everyone's entitled to an opinion though i suppose. I've kneejerked a few times so this is no different.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
There are many positives to be taken from this season. By and large Sheridan's transfer dealings have been sound with some notable exceptions, however there will always be failings in any transfer policy. Just consider a team with Soukouna, Williams, Gorman, Lennox, Chadwick and Griffiths and then think where we are now. Defensively we're much better (48 goals conceded in 42) and we have a strike force, that on their day can be as good as anything else in the league (Reid/ Alessandra) - as the stats will tell.

The big failing for me is no surprise - tactical awareness. It's getting repetitive and frustrating at the same time and he seems to have developed a 3-5-2 dogma since discovering a winning formula at Fleetwood. Flexibility and awareness to change are what's needed and hence my suggestion that he (or perhaps one of the other coaching staff) work from the stand.

But perhaps his biggest failing is his failure to connect with the fans. He appears brash in public and gives off an impression that he hasn't committed himself to the club or region. If he had, I think fans would be much more forgiving and see this season as progress regardless of how it ends up.

On balance - definitely stay for me.