Sheridan's super man management (Herald) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sheridan's super man management (Herald)

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
It's a perfectly legitimate tactic to try and provoke a player into improving. Players need a thick skin.

Saying it to the press however, in addition to his thinly veiled dig at JB about the Hourihane sale to me is indicative of someone who is determined to commit 'suicide by cop' rather than just resigning. Sad but possibly true.

Jun 26, 2006
See there are actually a couple of arguments to be had .

Firstly - Eric Cantona couldn't tackle . Do you think that Ferguson said to him Listen son you're in the team to make as many bad tackles as you can and get yourself injured / sent off or Listen son you are in the team because you have outrageous talent and can score me loads of goals . Let some other donkey do the tackling .
I am not comparing the talent of Jason Banton with Eric Cantona but you get the drift
Secondly - Why , if we know he can't tackle and won't even threaten to challenge for a header ,are we playing him in a position which effectively means he has to shoulder some defensive responsibilty or leave our left back exposed to two on ones . Play him where at this level he is likely to be most effective up alongside Reid .
I wish we would stop trying to overthink what is effectively a simple game . Our players are of a certain standard - they aren't Barcelona , Real Madrid or Manchester City and need things simple .

Topboy

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Oct 2, 2003
Plympton
fishypilgrim":1k7oka8k said:
See there are actually a couple of arguments to be had .

Firstly - Eric Cantona couldn't tackle . Do you think that Ferguson said to him Listen son you're in the team to make as many bad tackles as you can and get yourself injured / sent off or Listen son you are in the team because you have outrageous talent and can score me loads of goals . Let some other donkey do the tackling .
I am not comparing the talent of Jason Banton with Eric Cantona but you get the drift
Secondly - Why , if we know he can't tackle and won't even threaten to challenge for a header ,are we playing him in a position which effectively means he has to shoulder some defensive responsibilty or leave our left back exposed to two on ones . Play him where at this level he is likely to be most effective up alongside Reid .
I wish we would stop trying to overthink what is effectively a simple game . Our players are of a certain standard - they aren't Barcelona , Real Madrid or Manchester City and need things simple .

I disagree with your first point Fishy - Cantona's tackle on that Crystal Palace fan was of the finest witnessed on the modern game. :whistle:

Agree with the rest though.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
Paven":3e805ufq said:
Gary_Wills":3e805ufq said:
Always others who boo to quickly, isn't it. The rascals.

What Shez has said is encouraging in that he's thinking about his players' mindset rather merely reading riot acts, and judging by Pasoti he's picked out the right player to set the spotlight on, thank god.

I agree. It's a simple psychological trick, and whilst he's not (IMO) the sort of player who reacts to it, it might toughen him up a bit. JS may have made a small mistake by releasing it as all those who want him out currently now have extra fuel to stoke their fire.

Releasing it to the press wasn't clever, but some react well to crticism.

Wouldn't say it's stupid by any means.

I agree.

Aug 15, 2008
Give Banton a free role. Flat back four. Four in midfield as a flat four - Then Banton. Then Reid. 4-4-1-1.

"Jason I want you to go out there and destroy Hartlepool, Win us the game "

He has the skill he really does - let him loose.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Another ludicrous comment from Sheridan.

The best way that Sheridan can help Banton show what he can do and restore his confidence is to play him in his best position, which is in and around Reid.

Give him the license to play his natural game, taking on players, winning free kicks around the box, getting shots on goal and without too much defensive responsibility. Banton never has been and never will be the "chalk on your boots" winger that Sheridan is trying to make him.

It's not working and everyone can see it except Sheridan.

Apr 28, 2013
This is unbelievably ridiculous now! Just the things he's been saying are a good enough reason to get rid of him; it makes no sense and his tactics are not going to win us games! A 'footballing' chairman and he wouldn't be here right now..

Jul 6, 2011
Another ridiculous thread by the usual suspects. Why isn't it possible for us to have a little belief in our manager? Jason Baton needs a good kick up the backside, we've even said so on this site ourselves and yet when the manager does so the idiots jump out of the woodwork and demand his head. What a bunch of doughnuts!
Let's see if Jason can man up and rise to the occasion on Saturday and then maybe Cobi can start an apology thread...

Aug 11, 2013
demportdave":2l1fpaix said:
Another ludicrous comment from Sheridan.

The best way that Sheridan can help Banton show what he can do and restore his confidence is to play him in his best position, which is in and around Reid.

Give him the license to play his natural game, taking on players, winning free kicks around the box, getting shots on goal and without too much defensive responsibility. Banton never has been and never will be the "chalk on your boots" winger that Sheridan is trying to make him.

It's not working and everyone can see it except Sheridan.

This with bells on.

It suggests Sheridan still hasn't realised what is blindingly obvious. That he isn't a winger. Unless he's doing it as a 2 fingers to his detractors?

Don't play him in his natural position ... Play him out of position .... And when that inept decision is repeated 8 times then let the player get vilified .. You really couldn't make it up.

I agree ... I think he's fed up of being here and wants a pay out. There's too many inexplicable but deliberate anti-argyle decisions/comments coming out of Home Park.

May 26, 2006
South Devon
It's a very strange thing to do and say. Like others have said, play him in his best position and then let's see what he can do. I just can't warm to Sheridan at all. I could cope with his dour, miserable demeanour if he was a decent football manager, but unfortunately for us, he isn't.

Oct 5, 2013
Personally, I think the manager is a pretty good salesman, who keeps coming up with some pitch or other that enough people believe, for him to make just about enough 'sales' now and then to keep people convinced. Fortunately, such salesmen eventually find that they cannot fool all of the people all of the time.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
Gary_Wills":1arusgjv said:
Always others who boo to quickly, isn't it. The rascals.

What Shez has said is encouraging in that he's thinking about his players' mindset rather merely reading riot acts, and judging by Pasoti he's picked out the right player to set the spotlight on, thank god.
Isn't that Harbins job? What does Harbin do ?

Dec 2, 2010
Sheridan is the man in the Emperor's new clothes!

An absolutely stupid comment to come out with and just shows how clueless he is. Probably on the bench tomorrow!