Sheridan's super man management (Herald) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sheridan's super man management (Herald)

Dec 2, 2010
Pilgrim61":2jq7j80f said:
Sheridan is the man in the Emperor's new clothes!

An absolutely stupid comment to come out with and just shows how clueless he is. Probably on the bench tomorrow!

Ahem.....brilliant for confidence!

Sep 23, 2005
Golden Hind":2fksmxh9 said:
There is often the debate about if a manager is picking up points, does it matter what their methods/personality are?

Of course it does! We support Plymouth Argyle: Why? Is it because we love winning trophies and playing wonderful football? Well, it can't be because we don't often do that. For me it is because Argyle represent the city and region that we all have some kind of connection to. They represent US on the football field, not in scoring goals, but the attitude they demonstrate on the pitch to each other, their opponents, the fans and themselves. This also applies to the manager, the kit man, the people in the shop.... anyone who associates themselves with the club, even us. How does this manifest itself then?

A hypothetical example in the context of the Green Army would be that my day and pride in Argyle would be ruined if we thumped our rivals 4-0 but had to sit and listen to sections of the Argyle crowd chant racist or homophobic abuse at an opposing player, despite winning and playing wonderful football. Our troubles off the pitch in recent years elevated the passion and pride I took in supporting Argyle to heights I had not experienced since I was an obsessive teenager on the Devonport terrace. Seeing the fans take responsibility to work together (for the most part), demonstrate the values of cooperation, unity, perseverance, determination (as we expect the players to show on the pitch) was humbling. We were losing week on week, but my love for Argyle was growing, not diminishing.
Who are your favourite players down the years? In my time watching I chose players like Stonebridge, not because he was the best, but because he seemed a decent guy who gave everything and played the game with a big smile on his face. I liked Norris because his work ethic and respect for the badge was enormous. I liked Romain because he was a club man who loved the area and the place he represented just like us, not because he was a good goalkeeper. Graham Stack was a decent goalkeeper, but he didn't demonstrate the values I expect from an Argyle player and as such I'm glad he left.
So let's look at managers. Warnock and Luggy are always the ones who endure since I have followed Argyle. Largely because they made Plymouth home. They became one of us, and still maintain connections to the area. They treated the club with respect and I felt they understood that a football club is more than what happens on the pitch. Holloway was the same to some extent, love him or loathe him, he got the city going and understood that Plymouth Argyle exists for 13 days out of 14 outside of Home Park, that is simply the focal point every other week. It's interesting to note all 3 managers mentioned experienced success at Argyle.
While I will not deny, results on the pitch are extremely important to following Argyle (Combined with a degree of talent, if the players are demonstrating those values that we generally collectively hold, then results should come anyway). We all like Argyle to win and we will do what it takes to help that, but not at any cost. I want Plymouth Argyle to be an institution that makes a positive impact on people's lives. I want it to provide enjoyment for us as fans by winning games, I want it to create a sense of community for those who go, I want it to support the growth and health of our city and its area, I want it to provide opportunities for children to learn and experience the values that are important in life, I want it to allow fans to travel and visit and engage with other football communities etc etc.
As the manager of a lower league club, there is not the resources around you to allow others to take responsibility for all of these aspects. You are the leader, you are the focal point, you speak to the media and the players more than anyone else. If points are all that matter, then go and support Chelsea with their racist, adulterous captain payed with money from a shady Russian energy baron.
I am not referring specifically to Sheridan here, but making a drawn out point that it IS important to have a manager who is a positive spokesperson for the organisation we all cherish so dearly and that the things we value as Argyle fans is reflected in they way they conduct themselves in press conferences, in the dug-out, on the training pitch, in the board room, around the city, at other clubs......

Great stuff.

Jul 7, 2006
In addition he now states that Luke Young was in a "too comfortable place" so he thought he would be better off elsewhere so:

1. If he was comfortable in our division then surely he would have an easier time in the Conference and thus be "more comfortable"(whatever that means) so what gain is there.

2. Why did he not send him out on loan to 'shake him up' if that is what was required.

3. With experienced staff such as Wotton, Wilmott and McCarthy surely they should have had enough motivational experience between them to make necessary changes. After all the Torquay Manager seems to have succeeded in a very short time whereas our lot appear to have failed,

Sheridan's logic has completely lost me.

A

ArgyleMatty1991

Can't we all just get along? Sheridan is underperforming. The squad is underperforming. The club is underperforming. If we aren't in the playoffs come May, Sheridan has failed and we look for a new manager/sack him then. If we are in the play offs...good we have performed for the season and then we can look forward to a successful play off run hopefully.

I am fed up with ridiculous comments which are just full of conjecture and ridicule and its making me really dislike pasoti generally and has done for quite some time. If you want to he negative that's fine but please don't drag others down with you. I'm neither optimistic or pessimistic. I'm just looking forward to the next game regardless. And on that note...after a solid performance against a poor Hartlepool team its on to the next game. Onwards!

Oct 5, 2013
ArgyleMatty1991 said "...Sheridan is underperforming. The squad is underperforming. The club is underperforming. If we aren't in the playoffs come May, Sheridan has failed and we look for a new manager/sack him then..."

I don't fully understand ArgyleMatty1991's point, and I would like to, as I have probably missed something. Some of us are calling for the manager to do his job and stop underperforming, so that the squad will stop underperforming, and then we will definitely be in the playoffs as the manager intends, because we have the players and the supporters to bring this about this season.

Oct 5, 2013
narrowboat":3byk24f4 said:
In addition he now states that Luke Young was in a "too comfortable place" so he thought he would be better off elsewhere so:

1. If he was comfortable in our division then surely he would have an easier time in the Conference and thus be "more comfortable"(whatever that means) so what gain is there.

2. Why did he not send him out on loan to 'shake him up' if that is what was required.

3. With experienced staff such as Wotton, Wilmott and McCarthy surely they should have had enough motivational experience between them to make necessary changes. After all the Torquay Manager seems to have succeeded in a very short time whereas our lot appear to have failed,

Sheridan's logic has completely lost me.

I find precisely the same. I heard the manager say in an interview that he released Young because the best thing for the player's game would be to get away from Argyle, then a few moments later he said that he hoped the player would "prove him wrong", suggesting that the truth is that he released him because he didn't think he was good enough! I wonder which of these two it was, in fact, because they are contradictory? Some of the things he says baffle me.

Oct 5, 2013
I also heard Guy Branston on the commentary saying in respect of the manager that it is easy for ex-players who have been at the top to expect league 2 players to be as good as they were, but of course by definition that cannot be the case. Perhaps some of our players feel the manager's disappointment in them and this leads to lack of confidence, leading to underperformance?

Feb 23, 2008
Sheridan has been managing around this standard of football long enough to know that the players aren't going to be though hasn't he? Surely?

Chesterfield, Oldham, us?

I love the way that people get mildly offended by some of the stuff he comes out with. This isn't in his defence but surely it's par for the course? Tough tackling, Irish midfielder, spent most of his career at the top level in the upper half of the country.

From what I've heard about Banton from his time when he was on loan with us, admittedly word of mouth rumours, I'm not sure those two personalities will ever get on too well. From what I can see Sheridan has praised his natural ability but said his attitude needs to toughen up.

Seems to be a bit of the Sturrock/Puncheon thing going on again?

Jul 3, 2013
arrythewurzel":z3i7e4yd said:
I think Sheridan is like a tradesman who's got some quality tools and because he doesn't know how to use them properly, his results have variable quality. ..... So he looks for more tools.

His playing people out of position is like using a screwdriver as a chisel. He uses a screwdriver in place of a chisel, even though he's got a sharp chisel in the toolbox. The screwdriver will work as a chisel to a point but the reults aren't exactly quality. Worse, the screwdriver is damaged from its misuse and is never quite the same afterwards. Banton?

Are you Ian Holloway!

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
Stiffler":1ugygv9d said:
arrythewurzel":1ugygv9d said:
I think Sheridan is like a tradesman who's got some quality tools and because he doesn't know how to use them properly, his results have variable quality. ..... So he looks for more tools.

His playing people out of position is like using a screwdriver as a chisel. He uses a screwdriver in place of a chisel, even though he's got a sharp chisel in the toolbox. The screwdriver will work as a chisel to a point but the reults aren't exactly quality. Worse, the screwdriver is damaged from its misuse and is never quite the same afterwards. Banton?

Are you Ian Holloway!
Very good Stiffler :clap:

If he is I wonder how his cocks are?