Sheridan's super man management (Herald) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sheridan's super man management (Herald)

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
If it works you have to say that's good maagement, come on let's support the team and manager.
Also I actually like Banton on the wing, he is a good dribbler and is good at taking on defenders, you could say it his best position, but maybe on the right wing might be better, then Thomas could get a run out too?

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
r4h4al":39f3idz4 said:
If it works you have to say that's good maagement, come on let's support the team and manager.
It isn't going to work for as long as he's played on the left wing.

It's simple as that.

C

Cobi Budge.

r4h4al":bva15x5f said:

It's hard to support a manager who doesn't want any sort of connection with the fans, it just seems like he doesn't want to be here.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Cobi Budge.":1q74w760 said:
r4h4al":1q74w760 said:

It's hard to support a manager who doesn't want any sort of connection with the fans, it just seems like he doesn't want to be here.
why does having a connection with the fans matter so much? would it be nice? yes but i would rather sheridan got us 3 points more often than not rather than have some love affair with the fans.

C

Cobi Budge.

Football is nothing without emotion.

I want points as well, but I'd also like a manager who clearly cared about the club and the fan base, someone who the fans actually enjoyed having in charge.

You shouldn't have to choose between points and personality.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Cobi Budge.":3hzd5l2r said:

I want points as well, but I'd also like a manager who clearly cared about the club and the fan base, someone who the fans actually enjoyed having in charge.

I would choose points every day of the week.

The way I see it if Sheridan was getting better results and we were in the play offs or autos then fans would accept/enjoy him as manager regardless of him sugar-coating the club or not.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Cobi Budge.":3seqkzem said:

You don't have to make that choice, you just choose to because you put too much emphasis on all that nonsense.

We don't need to know the Manager's every waking thought or have him tell us how much he loves us.

The last bloke who did that walked out on us exactly one day after blatantly denying that he was negotiating a move to another club, leaving us devastated and precipitating the decline of our club to it's present sorry state. That's how much he really loved us and the City of Plymouth!

Personality is over rated, we don't need a fans love-in with Sheridan or any other Manager.

Reid was a great guy, ditto Mick Jones, Kevin Hodges, Paul Mariner and a few others who were not very successful.

Pulis wasn't a great communicator and Warnock has a Marmite personality, you love him or you hate him depending on you point of view; but they were both good Argyle Managers. Give me a miserable twerp who never smiles and never talks to the fans but who wins football matches and gets us up.

That's all that really matters because if he does that,we'll all be very happy.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Strange isn`t it, I read the article and I only read positive things, the reference to not winning 50/50 challenges didn`t come across as criticism but as a reference to Bantons` playing style, i.e. he is an attacking winger. Sheridan also states that he is the most gifted, talented player at the club who had a good pre-season but is going through a bad patch, I can`t see that would undermine Bantons` confidence, rather it shows how much the manager values him. I would rather Sheridan gave honest, meaningful interviews rather than sugar coat the pill. Let`s return to the natural order of things whereby we support and he manages, oh, and by the way, the crass actions of the people on the terraces who moan and complain, who boo and shout useless, negative things at the players do far more harm, what is the point of turning up on a Sarurday if not to "support" the team of which the manager is a part.

P

pafcstafford

justanotherfan":2nzcchs4 said:
Strange isn`t it, I read the article and I only read positive things, the reference to not winning 50/50 challenges didn`t come across as criticism but as a reference to Bantons` playing style, i.e. he is an attacking winger. Sheridan also states that he is the most gifted, talented player at the club who had a good pre-season but is going through a bad patch, I can`t see that would undermine Bantons` confidence, rather it shows how much the manager values him. I would rather Sheridan gave honest, meaningful interviews rather than sugar coat the pill. Let`s return to the natural order of things whereby we support and he manages, oh, and by the way, the crass actions of the people on the terraces who moan and complain, who boo and shout useless, negative things at the players do far more harm, what is the point of turning up on a Sarurday if not to "support" the team of which the manager is a part.

Don't understand how anyone could perceive anyother way unless they were desperately trying to twist things in order to suit some sort of agenda.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Steve.PAFC2012":1tj9ljtg said:
Cobi Budge.":1tj9ljtg said:

I would choose points every day of the week.

The way I see it if Sheridan was getting better results and we were in the play offs or autos then fans would accept/enjoy him as manager regardless of him sugar-coating the club or not.

Sheridan could be a bleddy robot for all I care as long as Argyle were winning games. The fact of the matter is we're not winning games despite having one of the best squads in the league. He needs to go if we want to make the playoffs this year IMO.

Feb 25, 2007
St Blazey
Who said we have one of the best squads in the division?

We will know in May if thats true.

Personally were average at best. I dont see a promotion in our current squad.

Sherdian needs more time to get this right. Chopping and changing wont help us. Theres no one out there who might improve this squad on the money were paying for players.

Aug 11, 2013
I think Sheridan is like a tradesman who's got some quality tools and because he doesn't know how to use them properly, his results have variable quality. ..... So he looks for more tools.

His playing people out of position is like using a screwdriver as a chisel. He uses a screwdriver in place of a chisel, even though he's got a sharp chisel in the toolbox. The screwdriver will work as a chisel to a point but the reults aren't exactly quality. Worse, the screwdriver is damaged from its misuse and is never quite the same afterwards. Banton?

Aug 15, 2008
Stick to what you said John. A Home team and an Away Team - I think its a good idea. The problem is the incessant tinkering of formations. Do not worry about the opposition and nullifying them - make them worry about us!

The problem with changing formation and personnel every match is that it sows confusion and there are no partnerships being formed on the pitch. I would call a meeting and tell the squad: this is the Home Team - here is how we play, here is how we line up, and here are your respective jobs. Repeat for the away team.

Just keep it simple and let the players take responsibility because at the moment they are not. This is because they do not know their jobs and people are not asking for the ball, If you keep the same personnel for the next 5 home matches and the same way of playing (Of course small alterations for certain teams but the basic tenet remains the same) the players will gel - they will become a team and they will fight for each other.

Oct 5, 2013
arrythewurzel":3p6u9a6g said:
I think Sheridan is like a tradesman who's got some quality tools and because he doesn't know how to use them properly, his results have variable quality. ..... So he looks for more tools.

His playing people out of position is like using a screwdriver as a chisel. He uses a screwdriver in place of a chisel, even though he's got a sharp chisel in the toolbox. The screwdriver will work as a chisel to a point but the reults aren't exactly quality. Worse, the screwdriver is damaged from its misuse and is never quite the same afterwards. Banton?

Brilliant piece of writing - poetic! And great points made.

Aug 22, 2008
Chicago
There is often the debate about if a manager is picking up points, does it matter what their methods/personality are?

Of course it does! We support Plymouth Argyle: Why? Is it because we love winning trophies and playing wonderful football? Well, it can't be because we don't often do that. For me it is because Argyle represent the city and region that we all have some kind of connection to. They represent US on the football field, not in scoring goals, but the attitude they demonstrate on the pitch to each other, their opponents, the fans and themselves. This also applies to the manager, the kit man, the people in the shop.... anyone who associates themselves with the club, even us. How does this manifest itself then?

A hypothetical example in the context of the Green Army would be that my day and pride in Argyle would be ruined if we thumped our rivals 4-0 but had to sit and listen to sections of the Argyle crowd chant racist or homophobic abuse at an opposing player, despite winning and playing wonderful football. Our troubles off the pitch in recent years elevated the passion and pride I took in supporting Argyle to heights I had not experienced since I was an obsessive teenager on the Devonport terrace. Seeing the fans take responsibility to work together (for the most part), demonstrate the values of cooperation, unity, perseverance, determination (as we expect the players to show on the pitch) was humbling. We were losing week on week, but my love for Argyle was growing, not diminishing.
Who are your favourite players down the years? In my time watching I chose players like Stonebridge, not because he was the best, but because he seemed a decent guy who gave everything and played the game with a big smile on his face. I liked Norris because his work ethic and respect for the badge was enormous. I liked Romain because he was a club man who loved the area and the place he represented just like us, not because he was a good goalkeeper. Graham Stack was a decent goalkeeper, but he didn't demonstrate the values I expect from an Argyle player and as such I'm glad he left.
So let's look at managers. Warnock and Luggy are always the ones who endure since I have followed Argyle. Largely because they made Plymouth home. They became one of us, and still maintain connections to the area. They treated the club with respect and I felt they understood that a football club is more than what happens on the pitch. Holloway was the same to some extent, love him or loathe him, he got the city going and understood that Plymouth Argyle exists for 13 days out of 14 outside of Home Park, that is simply the focal point every other week. It's interesting to note all 3 managers mentioned experienced success at Argyle.
While I will not deny, results on the pitch are extremely important to following Argyle (Combined with a degree of talent, if the players are demonstrating those values that we generally collectively hold, then results should come anyway). We all like Argyle to win and we will do what it takes to help that, but not at any cost. I want Plymouth Argyle to be an institution that makes a positive impact on people's lives. I want it to provide enjoyment for us as fans by winning games, I want it to create a sense of community for those who go, I want it to support the growth and health of our city and its area, I want it to provide opportunities for children to learn and experience the values that are important in life, I want it to allow fans to travel and visit and engage with other football communities etc etc.
As the manager of a lower league club, there is not the resources around you to allow others to take responsibility for all of these aspects. You are the leader, you are the focal point, you speak to the media and the players more than anyone else. If points are all that matter, then go and support Chelsea with their racist, adulterous captain payed with money from a shady Russian energy baron.
I am not referring specifically to Sheridan here, but making a drawn out point that it IS important to have a manager who is a positive spokesperson for the organisation we all cherish so dearly and that the things we value as Argyle fans is reflected in they way they conduct themselves in press conferences, in the dug-out, on the training pitch, in the board room, around the city, at other clubs......