Simon Church (signed for Scunthorpe) | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Simon Church (signed for Scunthorpe)

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I'd like FOUR up front. A number 7 one side a 9 and 10 in the middle and then a number 11.

Attack, attack attack.

As you can see, I should be the official advisor. :greensmile:

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
IJN":134lpwkq said:
I'd like FOUR up front. A number 7 one side a 9 and 10 in the middle and then a number 11.

Attack, attack attack.

As you can see, I should be the official advisor. :greensmile:

All joking aside (but not far to the side)

This is what I'd like to see vs Rochdale tbh.

We HAVE to beat them at home, we HAVE to!! :scarf:

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Agreed Monkey, but if we are intent on sitting back and soaking up pressure (which seems to be DA's preferred method) and then hoofing the ball upfield, maybe having 2 up there and 8 back is better than what we have today.

If everyone in the team knows their role and what the manager expects then the formations doesn't really matter. My problem is that we sit so deep that when we do win possession we can do little with it except hand it back to the opposition.

But, whilst other teams can play 4-3-3, 4-5-1 or any variation of that .. we don't seem to be able to do this effectively. We just don't seem to have the players to make it work. The defenders need better distribution, the forward needs better hold up play and and the others need to be able to get up and support quicker. That is why the good teams play 4-3-3 as they can do those three things - maybe the main attribute missing is pace.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
You make some good points. Our problem is the sitting back and inviting pressure.

We still need 5 in midfield though otherwise we get completely over run.

I have seen little evidence of hoof ball. Yes it goes long sometimes but generally we try and play it out.

Feb 5, 2015
monkeywrench":1p8hid5l said:
We need to get away from this obsession with 2 up front. Hardly anyone plays with 2 up front these days. It leaves you completely outnumbered in midfield.

Our problem is that we sit back and let teams have the ball. We're basically a counter attacking side with the left and right midfielders making an attacking 3.

I would much prefer us to keep the same formation but play a high pressing game so we're on the front foot, rather than sit back and let other teams have the ball.

But 2 up front? Nah.

Completely agree with not bothering with 2 up front. It's pointless in 2017 because nobody else does it, so we would lose out in the middle. We need to be more fluid than that.

The dilemma is the Spurs method of pressing, or Mourinho style of sit and counter. Both are extremely effective when players are playing with confidence.

I'm not sure we have players capable of the pressing method atm - it's extremely hard to do for 90 minutes and get right. It's one of the reasons I have so much admiration for the way Spurs play. However, it has its pitfalls - Spurs are yet to win anything playing that way, and Mourinho, on the flip side, has won multiple trophies in the last few years.

So, here's hoping we keep improving week on week with the countering 4-2-3-1/4-1-4-1/4-3-2-1 that Adams loves.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
GreenLDN":jfgislsy said:
monkeywrench":jfgislsy said:
We need to get away from this obsession with 2 up front. Hardly anyone plays with 2 up front these days. It leaves you completely outnumbered in midfield.

Our problem is that we sit back and let teams have the ball. We're basically a counter attacking side with the left and right midfielders making an attacking 3.

I would much prefer us to keep the same formation but play a high pressing game so we're on the front foot, rather than sit back and let other teams have the ball.

But 2 up front? Nah.

Completely agree with not bothering with 2 up front. It's pointless in 2017 because nobody else does it, so we would lose out in the middle. We need to be more fluid than that.

The dilemma is the Spurs method of pressing, or Mourinho style of sit and counter. Both are extremely effective when players are playing with confidence.

I'm not sure we have players capable of the pressing method atm - it's extremely hard to do for 90 minutes and get right. It's one of the reasons I have so much admiration for the way Spurs play. However, it has its pitfalls - Spurs are yet to win anything playing that way, and Mourinho, on the flip side, has won multiple trophies in the last few years.

So, here's hoping we keep improving week on week with the countering 4-2-3-1/4-1-4-1/4-3-2-1 that Adams loves.

I agree that we're not set up for the pressing game, it's something we need to build up over pre-season. It's just my preferred way of playing.

Feb 8, 2005
Pogleswoody":umu067rv said:
4-2
3-1
4-1
4-1
4-3
2-1

Any of those would do for me at the moment!! Weekly results from here to Xmas? :scarf:

(Yes pedants ... Argo score first in away games!!)

Highly unlikely I'm afraid Pogles. We are probably going to be set up to defend our point, but with the ability to create the opportunity to take a chance and take all three with a 1-0 win.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
jimsing":1pcd00an said:
Pogleswoody":1pcd00an said:
4-2
3-1
4-1
4-1
4-3
2-1

Any of those would do for me at the moment!! Weekly results from here to Xmas? :scarf:

(Yes pedants ... Argo score first in away games!!)

Highly unlikely I'm afraid Pogles. We are probably going to be set up to defend our point, but with the ability to create the opportunity to take a chance and take all three with a 1-0 win.

A boy can dream you know!

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
At least Adams is consistent he likes strikers who can't score.