Simon Church (signed for Scunthorpe) | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Simon Church (signed for Scunthorpe)

Dreamgreen

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Beyton_Green":3o6sgcm5 said:
Can't believe the support on this thread for McLean one of the biggest duds ever signed. And as we all know we've had a few!

He was carp for us. He looked lazy and uninterested. However, he played against us for Cheltenham at HP and looked quality on the day. It happens !

Apr 3, 2010
Beyton_Green":1sx6yoen said:
Can't believe the support on this thread for McLean one of the biggest duds ever signed. And as we all know we've had a few!
I can't forget the way he sprinted towards the devonport (whilst on loan at Cheltenham)and held his hand to his ears after his hugely deflected free kick planted into the corner of the net. Also gestured at home fans as he was subbed off

Jul 29, 2010
I can't forget being sprayed by splinters of perspex as he kicked a hole in the old dug-outs when he wasn't picked as the last substitute.

Awful player for us, just goes to show the finger counters the folly of demanding we spend big money on transfer fees to "show ambition".

Dec 6, 2012
Plymouth, England, PL2 3HG
Camelford Green":2srlfyyv said:
Charles.plym":2srlfyyv said:
nick_PASTIE":2srlfyyv said:
katkin":2srlfyyv said:
whats the chances of him signing today and getting a debut?!?

I would have thought we would know by now.

Did he play at Aberdeen with Steve McLean- sure that odious lemon would have put in a good word for Argyle
Comments like that make me wonder how any self respecting player would want to play for fans with such attitudes. :(

For the record, Steve is about the pleasantest footballer you could care to meet and puts in considerable amount of his own time free of charge in supporting and coaching local kids. He has never had anything but good things to say about Argyle and Plymouth, whilst regretting that, for a range of reasons, Argyle fans never got to see the best of him while he was here.

And his record since moving back north, including a goal and a winner's medal in a Scottish Cup Final, suggests that he could more than do a job for us just now.
Exactly!!!

Nov 22, 2006
What has an argument about what kind of person Steve MacLean is got to do with the possibility of signing Simon Church, on that topic he could be a handy little forward for us but again the supply line needs to be better for anyone to score goals we will wait and see if this one comes through

Oct 24, 2013
arrythewurzel":23yzjy4c said:
Sad to say it ... but Harry Kane would struggle to get on the scoresheet at the present time in this team. If he's a hold-up striker then great otherwise he'll be another square peg in a round hole ....

Some on here saying he isn’t worth it as he doesn’t score enough goals, others saying only worth signing if he’s a hold up striker!

Feb 2, 2007
pedro91":2h096y2v said:
Camelford Green":2h096y2v said:
Charles.plym":2h096y2v said:
nick_PASTIE":2h096y2v said:
katkin":2h096y2v said:

Did he play at Aberdeen with Steve McLean- sure that odious lemon would have put in a good word for Argyle
Comments like that make me wonder how any self respecting player would want to play for fans with such attitudes. :(

For the record, Steve is about the pleasantest footballer you could care to meet and puts in considerable amount of his own time free of charge in supporting and coaching local kids. He has never had anything but good things to say about Argyle and Plymouth, whilst regretting that, for a range of reasons, Argyle fans never got to see the best of him while he was here.

And his record since moving back north, including a goal and a winner's medal in a Scottish Cup Final, suggests that he could more than do a job for us just now.
Exactly!!!

I thought he was paid very well to do a job for us. Often didn't even put in a shift- probably not fully fit or some other good reason but his conduct on return was also one of the most inflammatory and abusive I have ever seen from a professional player to fans.

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
Back on topic - I'd like to see Simon sign. He's fairly well proven at a higher level and (imho) he's better than what we currently have on the books.

And off topic - I still can't fathom how Derek got us into this pickle in the first place - Kennedy, Boateng and Tanner would have made such a difference to the squad.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda :cry:

Jul 29, 2010
On topic...not if he's crocked he's not.

Off topic...other opinions are available.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
Camelford Green":3l7rkr0s said:
Charles.plym":3l7rkr0s said:
nick_PASTIE":3l7rkr0s said:
katkin":3l7rkr0s said:

I was told the same thing when he left us.

He did a lot with our youth squads and the kids in his own time.

Mar 23, 2011
Fareham
Blackpool pilgrim":3t0ek7lq said:
Beyton_Green":3t0ek7lq said:
I can't forget the way he sprinted towards the devonport (whilst on loan at Cheltenham)and held his hand to his ears after his hugely deflected free kick planted into the corner of the net. Also gestured at home fans as he was subbed off
To be fair, I don't mind that as much as the Devonport were no doubt giving him a load of abuse. Argument is he is a pro and should be better than that, but if you can't take it don't give it.

Sep 23, 2014
plymouth
Emu":2rvjjcyu said:
pearces greens":2rvjjcyu said:
A welsh international requires a trial with us before he signs, id have thought in our position the only requirement would be he has to own a pair of boots !

I would think anyone who has been out of the game with the type of injury he has had would require a trial.
Its a JOKE !! By the way did you ever fix that aerial ?

Aug 8, 2014
Any updates.....does this rumour have any legs.....definitely need a proper striker, church certainly fits that bill IF fit

Jul 29, 2010
elburtontrev":12q2ok3n said:
Any updates.....does this rumour have any legs.....definitely need a proper striker, church certainly fits that bill IF fit
The 'if fit' is the crucial bit.

Clearly he's missed a pre-season so will be behind the curve even if he's fully fit. But we don't even know where on his injury's recovery scale he is. Given he's clueless he might just have come to us to train, it could well be stretching things too far to call him a trialist.

There won't be a quick answer I suspect, a year out will make him waaay behind readiness. It might take months. What we do know is that DA trains them hard, so if he's going to get match fit anywhere it'll be here.