Simon Church (signed for Scunthorpe) | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Simon Church (signed for Scunthorpe)

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
X Isle":28z2ot30 said:
elburtontrev":28z2ot30 said:
Any updates.....does this rumour have any legs.....definitely need a proper striker, church certainly fits that bill IF fit
The 'if fit' is the crucial bit.

Clearly he's missed a pre-season so will be behind the curve even if he's fully fit. But we don't even know where on his injury's recovery scale he is. Given he's clueless he might just have come to us to train, it could well be stretching things too far to call him a trialist.

There won't be a quick answer I suspect, a year out will make him waaay behind readiness. It might take months. What we do know is that DA trains them hard, so if he's going to get match fit anywhere it'll be here.

A bit harsh , don't you think X'y ?

Jul 29, 2010
DartingtonPilgrim":3dyamgph said:
X Isle":3dyamgph said:
elburtontrev":3dyamgph said:
Any updates.....does this rumour have any legs.....definitely need a proper striker, church certainly fits that bill IF fit
The 'if fit' is the crucial bit.

Clearly he's missed a pre-season so will be behind the curve even if he's fully fit. But we don't even know where on his injury's recovery scale he is. Given he's clueless he might just have come to us to train, it could well be stretching things too far to call him a trialist.

There won't be a quick answer I suspect, a year out will make him waaay behind readiness. It might take months. What we do know is that DA trains them hard, so if he's going to get match fit anywhere it'll be here.

A bit harsh , don't you think X'y ?
Ha ha, that should be 'clubless' :funny:

Bleedin' predictive sex :wink:

Apr 15, 2015
Arrived to this thread very late.

Simon Church? Rings a bell!
Could he do a Job for Argyle? He might be a Revelation(s). If not the faithful will be up in (Ps)alms.
Attendance will drop if current form continues- the Exodus needs to be stopped.
Haggai’ll stop there - but there’s a pint in it for the first person to get Zephaniah in here properly!

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
cheshiregreen":2rlzt0m6 said:
Goals are flying in for us lately do we still need him? :)

Yes we need a goal scoring striker if we are to score more than the opposition. GC10 cant supply wonder strikes every week

Jul 29, 2010
samjones":2jvc4w8k said:
cheshiregreen":2jvc4w8k said:
Goals are flying in for us lately do we still need him? :)

Yes we need a goal scoring striker if we are to score more than the opposition. GC10 cant supply wonder strikes every week
:whoosh:

Apr 29, 2016
samjones":3vfd67ee said:
I don't think even JESUS ( Gabriel ) could save us at the moment.

Desperate times requires desperate measures springs to mind with another out of contract, unfit and injury prone player that no one else wants.

I wont be singing Hallelujah if this comes off especially with that scoring record :facepalm:

I’m surprised that you would even know the words! :)

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
Camelford Green":jswnalj0 said:
Charles.plym":jswnalj0 said:
nick_PASTIE":jswnalj0 said:
katkin":jswnalj0 said:
whats the chances of him signing today and getting a debut?!?

I would have thought we would know by now.

Did he play at Aberdeen with Steve McLean- sure that odious lemon would have put in a good word for Argyle
Comments like that make me wonder how any self respecting player would want to play for fans with such attitudes. :(

For the record, Steve is about the pleasantest footballer you could care to meet and puts in considerable amount of his own time free of charge in supporting and coaching local kids. He has never had anything but good things to say about Argyle and Plymouth, whilst regretting that, for a range of reasons, Argyle fans never got to see the best of him while he was here.

And his record since moving back north, including a goal and a winner's medal in a Scottish Cup Final, suggests that he could more than do a job for us just now.

I dont claim to have known him well but the little I did know led me to believe he was a true gent.

Feb 8, 2005
I have no reason to believe that Church isn't training with us, so I assume that is with Adams agreement.

Church has the required pedigree that we should be looking at, but like minded Clubs are not interested in risking their money until he can assure them of his fitness after the operation, and full fitness prior to a season start.

I believe Adams is looking to take that risk, but is making sure that Church can get to full fitness before he makes a decision. He also needs to make sure that Church can fill the role that he needs him to play.

Church has always had a problem with his hip, which was made worse by playing on plastic pitches abroad, and he has had to have an operation in order to attempt to continue with his career, which is the reason for his delay in playing football for such a long time.

I also think that Adams is very disappointed with Cifci, and will be returning him to Celtic at his first opportunity, which will be in January.

This will free up wages for Church, if he is able to get him up to match fitness and match speed by then, and that Adams and the medical staff are happy with his recovery.

Dec 19, 2009
Thomas Edwards":38nwx1hx said:
Camelford Green":38nwx1hx said:
Charles.plym":38nwx1hx said:
nick_PASTIE":38nwx1hx said:
katkin":38nwx1hx said:
whats the chances of him signing today and getting a debut?!?

I would have thought we would know by now.

Did he play at Aberdeen with Steve McLean- sure that odious lemon would have put in a good word for Argyle
Comments like that make me wonder how any self respecting player would want to play for fans with such attitudes. :(

For the record, Steve is about the pleasantest footballer you could care to meet and puts in considerable amount of his own time free of charge in supporting and coaching local kids. He has never had anything but good things to say about Argyle and Plymouth, whilst regretting that, for a range of reasons, Argyle fans never got to see the best of him while he was here.

And his record since moving back north, including a goal and a winner's medal in a Scottish Cup Final, suggests that he could more than do a job for us just now.

I was told the same thing when he left us.

He did a lot with our youth squads and the kids in his own time.

What he got up to in his own time was his business but as a fan of PAFC I'll judge him on what he was actually paid to do by the club, put in a decent shift and hopefully score goals. He did neither. Utterly lazy, salky attitude and couldn't hit a barn door. As a player for us he was a pile of manure.

Apr 29, 2016
jimsing":143fb4ar said:
I have no reason to believe that Church isn't training with us, so I assume that is with Adams agreement.

Church has the required pedigree that we should be looking at, but like minded Clubs are not interested in risking their money until he can assure them of his fitness after the operation, and full fitness prior to a season start.

I believe Adams is looking to take that risk, but is making sure that Church can get to full fitness before he makes a decision. He also needs to make sure that Church can fill the role that he needs him to play.

Church has always had a problem with his hip, which was made worse by playing on plastic pitches abroad, and he has had to have an operation in order to attempt to continue with his career, which is the reason for his delay in playing football for such a long time.

I also think that Adams is very disappointed with Cifci, and will be returning him to Celtic at his first opportunity, which will be in January.

This will free up wages for Church, if he is able to get him up to match fitness and match speed by then, and that Adams and the medical staff are happy with his recovery.

Don't think that returning him will be quite as easy as that. I think that a transfer between Scotland and England is considered an international transfer and is therefore for the season. We may be in the hands of Celtic as to whether they are happy to have him back in January and it then becomes a mutual decision with them taking over his wages again.

E

Electronic

philmeboots":q265yuf6 said:
jimsing":q265yuf6 said:

Don't think that returning him will be quite as easy as that. I think that a transfer between Scotland and England is considered an international transfer and is therefore for the season. We may be in the hands of Celtic as to whether they are happy to have him back in January and it then becomes a mutual decision with them taking over his wages again.

From the recent iFollow interview with Adams I am not hearing that Ciftci isn't in his plans. I think Adams still rates him and he is in his plans. Reckon he will feature again when back from injury.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Could Church and Cifci play as a front 2?

Is Adam's reluctance to play 2 up top because of player limitations or his stubborness?

From his Reading days i dont recall Church being a target man? Maybe making runs off Cifci would be a better role (IF he signs of course).

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
We need to get away from this obsession with 2 up front. Hardly anyone plays with 2 up front these days. It leaves you completely outnumbered in midfield.

Our problem is that we sit back and let teams have the ball. We're basically a counter attacking side with the left and right midfielders making an attacking 3.

I would much prefer us to keep the same formation but play a high pressing game so we're on the front foot, rather than sit back and let other teams have the ball.

But 2 up front? Nah.