still no news (grandstand) | Page 27 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

still no news (grandstand)

Will the Grandstand be completed by October 2016?

• No

Votes: 205 72.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 78 27.6%

• Total voters
Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Motorman":20u4ia8x said:
spowell92, I see you live in worcester, your one of the biggest critics of the grandstand, out of interest how many home games did you attend in the season just finished or even the season before that.

I think about 23,000 would have been a good compromise and make many fans happy, too big for L2, slightly too big for L1, about right for championship and too small for the premier, if we ever got there.

Hi Motorman, Worcester is a term time University address. I attended roughly 50% of games Home and Away over the recent season in all comps; probably a larger sway to Away games this season, but essentially I go whenever I can. Prior to that I spent 2 years living in Truro while I attended college and was able to get the train to Home Park whenever it was affordable. Going back further I grew up in North Cornwall village. From here, before I was legal to drive, it was very difficult to make it to Home Park. I think this highlights the difficulties many Argyle fans will face, the lack of public transport available throughout the county makes it very hard to attend games on a regular basis without absolute dependence on a car. So I resent other fans so readily criticising the fans that have stopped attending on a regular basis. Getting to Home Park can be very hard for some and the club hasn't often made their efforts worth it.

I personally disagree with you about outright building a stand that'll take us to 23k. Like you say, too small for League 2 and League 1. BUT, if the true ambition of this club is to reach the Championship again, then a League 1 promotion winning Argyle may require a stadium of that capacity. I think the ground should be developed in a way so that any expansion can be erected easily, efficiently and cost effectively. Build the ground to match the club as it climbs the divisions. So build it to 17.5k now and increase it by 4k when necessary - NOT when its too late. If the club is selling out 17.5k week in week out and the demand is there for a 20+ stadium, then it is more than likely that the club will have wasted the opportunity and demand will have dwindled by the time the club can supply. So I agree that the aim of the club should be around 22-23k by the time the club has reached the Championship, though I'm an advocate of the multi-phase build.

Sep 19, 2005
Plympton
spowell92":226l9scz said:
Motorman":226l9scz said:
spowell92, I see you live in worcester, your one of the biggest critics of the grandstand, out of interest how many home games did you attend in the season just finished or even the season before that.

I think about 23,000 would have been a good compromise and make many fans happy, too big for L2, slightly too big for L1, about right for championship and too small for the premier, if we ever got there.

Hi Motorman, Worcester is a term time University address. I attended roughly 50% of games Home and Away over the recent season in all comps; probably a larger sway to Away games this season, but essentially I go whenever I can. Prior to that I spent 2 years living in Truro while I attended college and was able to get the train to Home Park whenever it was affordable. Going back further I grew up in North Cornwall village. From here, before I was legal to drive, it was very difficult to make it to Home Park. I think this highlights the difficulties many Argyle fans will face, the lack of public transport available throughout the county makes it very hard to attend games on a regular basis without absolute dependence on a car. So I resent other fans so readily criticising the fans that have stopped attending on a regular basis. Getting to Home Park can be very hard for some and the club hasn't often made their efforts worth it.

I personally disagree with you about outright building a stand that'll take us to 23k. Like you say, too small for League 2 and League 1. BUT, if the true ambition of this club is to reach the Championship again, then a League 1 promotion winning Argyle may require a stadium of that capacity. I think the ground should be developed in a way so that any expansion can be erected easily, efficiently and cost effectively. Build the ground to match the club as it climbs the divisions. So build it to 17.5k now and increase it by 4k when necessary - NOT when its too late. If the club is selling out 17.5k week in week out and the demand is there for a 20+ stadium, then it is more than likely that the club will have wasted the opportunity and demand will have dwindled by the time the club can supply. So I agree that the aim of the club should be around 22-23k by the time the club has reached the Championship, though I'm an advocate of the multi-phase build.

Thank you for the answer but you have made yourself look a bit silly by admitting you hardly visit home park. You keep asking for a bigger stadium in case the crowds return and yet you rarely go to the games yourself. In that case ill revise my feeling on the capacity to 22,999. :)

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Motorman":1az7u1o2 said:
spowell92":1az7u1o2 said:
Motorman":1az7u1o2 said:

Thank you for the answer but you have made yourself look a bit silly by admitting you hardly visit home park. You keep asking for a bigger stadium in case the crowds return and yet you rarely go to the games yourself. In that case ill revise my feeling on the capacity to 22,999. :)

Honestly? That is pathetic. :facepalm:

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
spowell92":tggua0dh said:
Motorman":tggua0dh said:
spowell92":tggua0dh said:
Motorman":tggua0dh said:

Spowell - you're being very kind and polite.
If Spowell is being a bit silly then you, Motormouth (sorry motorman), are being absolutely bleedy ridiculous. One of the worst thought out, childish and stupid replies I have ever seen on this site. All it shows is a total ignorance of the factors that affect whether people can get to games. Don't see you slagging off OG or TinTin or Bermuda Green ? I get to less games than Spowell - fancy a pop at me ? or just comeback with 22998.
Grow up !

Derby Pilgrim

Jam First
Jun 20, 2011
South Derbyshire
tigertony":ovtijao7 said:
spowell92":ovtijao7 said:
Motorman":ovtijao7 said:
spowell92":ovtijao7 said:
Motorman":ovtijao7 said:

Spowell - you're being very kind and polite.
If Spowell is being a bit silly then you, Motormouth (sorry motorman), are being absolutely bleedy ridiculous. One of the worst thought out, childish and stupid replies I have ever seen on this site. All it shows is a total ignorance of the factors that affect whether people can get to games. Don't see you slagging off OG or TinTin or Bermuda Green ? I get to less games than Spowell - fancy a pop at me ? or just comeback with 22998.
Grow up !

Best not mention that I haven't seen a game at Home Park since the last game of the season when we were promoted to the Championship.

I want us to have over 20k capacity stadium to meet the "ambition" of the club but ambition is one thing and stupidity is another. I want what is best for my club not what is best for me (I may be fat but even I cant take up 3000 seats)

N

newquaygreen

If we had a new stand would that in itself mean more people would attend as the match experience would;d be better?...just a thought.
I guess if so by how many is the million dollar question :whistle:

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
newquaygreen":mxsqxtml said:
If we had a new stand would that in itself mean more people would attend as the match experience would;d be better?...just a thought.

I can't find official attendances figures for Hull at Boothferry Park except the season in which the second half was played at the KC. They averaged 11,884 with half a season in the old Boothferry Park and the second half of the season played at the newly opened KC. In their first full season at the KC, in the 4th tier of English football they averaged 16,846 and 18,027 the following season in the 3rd tier; attendances have only continued to rise since, along with the club. I think, though I do stand to be corrected, that their full season average attendances at Boothferry were along the lines of 6,000.

In 2003/4 in the 4th tier Swansea City averaged 6853 at Vetch Field and 8457 the following season. They then moved into the Liberty Stadium and the average attendance was 14111. Again, like Hull we know that attendances continued to rise along with the club.

So yes there is evidence to suggest that if a club builds a new, exciting development and shows its fan-base the ambition and intent that they wish to achieve then the fans will gather to watch and support the team in doing so. Will this happen at Home Park? With the current proposals I highly doubt it, the stand is a complete step backwards on what we previously had in terms of size and your average joe fan wont be looking to regularly enjoy the corporate suites. Once the novelty of having something new has soon worn off, after people realise that our grandstand is smaller than that of Mansfield's, it'll be more dead than the current Mayflower steps.

Oct 23, 2013
Block 12
According to the figures produced in the Q & A (that an increase of 3,200 seats would cost £3.2m amd would take 90 sellout to regain the captial) the average ticket price is £11.11

tonsk

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 19, 2003
Plymouth
www.dastardlys.co.uk
tagz":2pp1ml8v said:
According to the figures produced in the Q & A (that an increase of 3,200 seats would cost £3.2m amd would take 90 sellout to regain the captial) the average ticket price is £11.11

I think that figure would be the profit margin on each ticket sold after match day expenses.

tonsk

Oct 23, 2013
Block 12
Fleetwood have just been granted permission for their new £6m training complex. I would which will be built first their training complex or our grandstand (I think it will be the training complex)

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
spowell92":3k336m7q said:
newquaygreen":3k336m7q said:

I can't find official attendances figures for Hull at Boothferry Park except the season in which the second half was played at the KC. They averaged 11,884 with half a season in the old Boothferry Park and the second half of the season played at the newly opened KC. In their first full season at the KC, in the 4th tier of English football they averaged 16,846 and 18,027 the following season in the 3rd tier; attendances have only continued to rise since, along with the club. I think, though I do stand to be corrected, that their full season average attendances at Boothferry were along the lines of 6,000.

In 2003/4 in the 4th tier Swansea City averaged 6853 at Vetch Field and 8457 the following season. They then moved into the Liberty Stadium and the average attendance was 14111. Again, like Hull we know that attendances continued to rise along with the club.

So yes there is evidence to suggest that if a club builds a new, exciting development and shows its fan-base the ambition and intent that they wish to achieve then the fans will gather to watch and support the team in doing so. Will this happen at Home Park? With the current proposals I highly doubt it, the stand is a complete step backwards on what we previously had in terms of size and your average joe fan wont be looking to regularly enjoy the corporate suites. Once the novelty of having something new has soon worn off, after people realise that our grandstand is smaller than that of Mansfield's, it'll be more dead than the current Mayflower steps.

What about Millwall, Colchester, Coventry, Shrewsbury, Walsall, Oxford, Darlington and Chester? They all invested in new stadiums too. Success isn't automatic with new builds.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Lundan Cabbie":1tejwrfe said:
spowell92":1tejwrfe said:
newquaygreen":1tejwrfe said:

What about Millwall, Colchester, Coventry, Shrewsbury, Walsall, Oxford, Darlington and Chester? They all invested in new stadiums too. Success isn't automatic with new builds.
Walsall's new ground opened 1990, they steadily rose up the bottom tier (okay, not much progress to quickly) and were promoted in 1995, they then steadily rose up the third tier (with a minor dip in 97/98) promoted to what is now the Championship in 98/99, okay relegated straight away, but went straight back up in 00/01 and i think stayed there until we were promoted to the Championship in 03/04 (due to Rotherham postponing a point deduction until the next season or something along those lines) but they certainly rose up the leagues shortly after the opening of their new ground

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Argy1e":1cwhd6i2 said:
Lundan Cabbie":1cwhd6i2 said:
spowell92":1cwhd6i2 said:
newquaygreen":1cwhd6i2 said:

Walsall's new ground opened 1990, they steadily rose up the bottom tier (okay, not much progress to quickly) and were promoted in 1995, they then steadily rose up the third tier (with a minor dip in 97/98) promoted to what is now the Championship in 98/99, okay relegated straight away, but went straight back up in 00/01 and i think stayed there until we were promoted to the Championship in 03/04 (due to Rotherham postponing a point deduction until the next season or something along those lines) but they certainly rose up the leagues shortly after the opening of their new ground

Attendances didn't significantly increase though.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":1vz8jc3v said:
spowell92":1vz8jc3v said:
newquaygreen":1vz8jc3v said:

Most of those clubs did acheive RELATIVE success though. Colchester, Walsall and Shrewsbury all rose to above their prrevious levels. It probably helped Oxford when you consider that one big factor against them in that they're strangled budget-wise by Kassam's extortionate rent payments.

The three obvious exceptions being Darlington, Coventry and Chester. And the first of those three isn't relevant because to be (proportionally) as big as Darlington's was then it would literally have to be a six figure capacity stadium. There's no comparing your Plymouth/Swansea/Cardiff type places with Darlington. Heck, there's not even any point comparing your Shrewsbury/Walsall/Milwall type places with Darlington either.