still no news (grandstand) | Page 28 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

still no news (grandstand)

Will the Grandstand be completed by October 2016?

• No

Votes: 205 72.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 78 27.6%

• Total voters

John Cooper

Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
GreenSam":1gtlu993 said:
Lundan Cabbie":1gtlu993 said:
spowell92":1gtlu993 said:
newquaygreen":1gtlu993 said:
If we had a new stand would that in itself mean more people would attend ujas the match experience would;d be better?...just a thought.
I guess if so by how many is the million dollar question :whistle:

I can't find official attendances figures for Hull at Boothferry Park except the season in which the second half was played at the KC. They averaged 11,884 with half a season in the old Boothferry Park and the second half of the season played at the newly opened KC. In their first full season at the KC, in the 4th tier of English football they averaged 16,846 and 18,027 the following season in the 3rd tier; attendances have only continued to rise since, along with the club. I think, though I do stand to be corrected, that their full season average attendances at Boothferry were along the lines of 6,000.

In 2003/4 in the 4th tier Swansea City averaged 6853 at Vetch Field and 8457 the following season. They then moved into the Liberty Stadium and the average attendance was 14111. Again, like Hull we know that attendances continued to rise along with the club.

So yes there is evidence to suggest that if a club builds a new, exciting development and shows its fan-base the ambition and intent that they wish to achieve then the fans will gather to watch and support the team in doing so. Will this happen at Home Park? With the current proposals I highly doubt it, the stand is a complete step backwards on what we previously had in terms of size and your average joe fan wont be looking to regularly enjoy the corporate suites. Once the novelty of having something new has soon worn off, after people realise that our grandstand is smaller than that of Mansfield's, it'll be more dead than the current Mayflower steps.

What about Millwall, Colchester, Coventry, Shrewsbury, Walsall, Oxford, Darlington and Chester? They all invested in new stadiums too. Success isn't automatic with new builds.
Most of those clubs did acheive RELATIVE success though. Colchester, Walsall and Shrewsbury all rose to above their prrevious levels. It probably helped Oxford when you consider that one big factor against them in that they're strangled budget-wise by Kassam's extortionate rent payments.

The three obvious exceptions being Darlington, Coventry and Chester. And the first of those three isn't relevant because to be (proportionally) as big as Darlington's was then it would literally have to be a six figure capacity stadium. There's no comparing your Plymouth/Swansea/Cardiff type places with Darlington. Heck, there's not even any point comparing your Shrewsbury/Walsall/Milwall type places with Darlington either.

Walsall almost went bust after their new stadium was built.
The initial ground rent almost took them under, until it was renegotiated.

Dec 3, 2005
When will we know where we are sitting next year lol

Can I move back to the GRANDSTAND?

Jul 17, 2011
Now that the grandstand is vacant, would it be a good idea to put a tv screen there showing score and time, and replays?

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
driscollberg":tpl0ywbc said:
Now that the grandstand is vacant, would it be a good idea to put a tv screen there showing score and time, and replays?
Can't see Brent forking out the £££ to do that, besides if all doesn't go to plan and the redevelopment doesn't start there will be some pretty peed off fans if they can't get their seat back in the grandstand because of a tv screen which even isn't even a essentiality.

Dec 3, 2005
Refurbish the Grandstand, build extensions on the back of the Grandstand - new bars - toilets - fill in the corners with a continuation of the horseshoe, how much would that cost - look unique and increase the capacity at the same time.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
djg145":2ejmpurt said:
Refurbish the Grandstand, build extensions on the back of the Grandstand - new bars - toilets - fill in the corners with a continuation of the horseshoe, how much would that cost - look unique and increase the capacity at the same time.

More than is in the kitty, that's for sure

Jun 8, 2014
My main issue for HHP is obviously one that has been mentioned previously, what about when Brent leaves and then we've moved up the leagues, and suddenly there's a large demand and an increase in ticket sales. Suddenly we don't have enough room to expand. What can we do then? Well, very little.

Short term measures, in most basic form, should have short term implications. This HHP development does not fill that category, which is my main concern. I think it's brilliant that Brent is willing to invest in the club somewhat, and clearly he does want to take us forward, however I'm not entirely sure I want him to take us very far. Just far enough so we can start to develop but we aren't held back by a capacity limit or there's no space for any development.

As soon as we put a capacity limit on or a development like this goes through, then you're stuck and there's nothing that can get you out of it, which in turn, won't draw in new investors because they would have to invest a whole heap of money into the club in order for it, as a business and an area, to start moving forward.

Clubs like Swansea and Norwich should be those we try to follow, with ambition at the helm without going over your limits and ending up with financial difficulties. It can be done, but I can't say I feel that Brent is the man to make it happen. I've no doubt he has people's best interests at heart but I'm not sure his answers are the right ones, with HHP as the example. Brent wont be here forever but when he leaves, who wants to buy a club with very limited room for development and a fanbase that would only ever be able to reach a maximum amount, it's just not an attractive prospect.

So, whilst HHP would at this very moment in time not be a bad idea, as with the club at the moment it all fits together nicely and with the size of the fanbase as well. However, with the key aim being long term development, I just cannot see how it works. Sadly you're just bottling up a club and a ground which, I'm sure we all think has the potential to go very far.

If it all goes through, I can easily see how in a few years we'll look back at this as a big mistake, if it even goes through anyway. Somehow seems unlikely at the moment.

Oct 23, 2013
Block 12
Lundan Cabbie":218uuneg said:
djg145":218uuneg said:

So more than £0.00 in the Granstand kitty.

Dec 3, 2005
Argyles history is riddled with 'big mistakes' - 'wasted opportunity's' and 'what if's'.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
djg145":25mk0f14 said:
Argyles history is riddled with 'big mistakes' - 'wasted opportunity's' and 'what if's'.

And may it continue for a long life on unfulfilled potential and underachievement.

G

Greenskin

Lundan Cabbie":7m6nnhks said:
djg145":7m6nnhks said:

You're not Chris Errington, are you ? For a Palace fan,you certainly seem to take a very close and,going by the above comment,well informed interest in all things Argyle.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Greenskin":2qijnnqs said:
Lundan Cabbie":2qijnnqs said:
djg145":2qijnnqs said:

You're not Chris Errington, are you ? For a Palace fan,you certainly seem to take a very close and,going by the above comment,well informed interest in all things Argyle.

I've met LC and he's definitely not Chris Errington although his healthy interest in Argyle is odd, he was the second most prolific poster on Pasoti last month. :)

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
PL2 3DQ":1axux7yp said:
Greenskin":1axux7yp said:
Lundan Cabbie":1axux7yp said:
djg145":1axux7yp said:

I've met LC and he's definitely not Chris Errington although his obsession with Argyle is odd, he was the second most prolific poster on Pasoti last month. :)

Argyle are my local team although I am a foreigner. PASOTI may be for Argyle fans but it is frequented by sensible football supporters and the debate is often excellent which is more than I can say for sites you might expect a Palace fan to frequent.
As for the second most prolific poster, you should take out the word association posts in Terraces and it might be more accurate. :)