The AFT's Christmas Collection for the Plymouth Foodbank. | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The AFT's Christmas Collection for the Plymouth Foodbank.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Knarf Reprah":1v22ytwq said:
IJN I used to be the chair of Devon and Cornwall foodbanks.

Then you should know better than to spout such crap!

There are people out there that need OUR help, good on the AFT I say.

As Bob has said, this thread should NOT be used to beat up the AFT.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
The AFT have taken some knocks recently they should be applauded for continuing to collect food/donations for the poor people who will not be so lucky as most of us over the Christmas period.

Well done guys.

nikkk

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 8, 2011
Knarf Reprah":38gmtr3g said:
jimsing":38gmtr3g said:
Is this really what the Argyle Fans Trust should be doing?

Ego trips again .......

You have got to be joking ....both of you. This is a trust initiative that I can remember has been going on for years ... Sadly there are people that need help ...Does it really matter if they are Argyle fans or not. Saddens me greatly .. I walked from Mutley to West Hoe today, I was asked for change at least 3 times ... FFS Nothing more to say, other than I hope this gets well supported by Argyle fans helping those that need the help.

Feb 8, 2005
I don't dispute that the cause is a good one. I don't dispute that it is a thoroughly deserving charity appeal, and I don't dispute that it has been going on for many years. I'm just asking whether it should still be held under the AFT banner. It does not appear to be a significant reason for the AFT to be in existence and it is not one of their aims or objectives.

It seems to me that the AFT should be a group that monitors the actions of the Football Club and brings together the fanbase and the Board, making suggestions to improve the matchday experience, improving relations between Club and fanbase, and taking back to the fanbase decisions and the reasons for the decisions of the Board of the Football Club.

Although I have to say that the Board have been very open with their actions, even though a small proportion of the fanbase have put forward alternative unproven reasons for their actions which appear to be well wide of the mark.

I am not trying to belittle what the AFT are currently doing, I applaud their efforts, but it is my opinion that the same could and should be done under a different banner.

The AFT should be concentrating their efforts on assisting the fanbase and the Board in getting together in order to find common ground in order to push the Club forward with the approval of the majority of Argyle supporters and the Board together.

I don't think the foodbank will generate any additional memberships for the AFT, which is where they should be refocusing their efforts.

There is very little coming out of the AFT to encourage supporters to join. The larger the percentage of regular supporters that join the AFT, the more credence the Trust will have both at boardroom and fanbase levels.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Can you not see? None of the above ‘waffle’ matters!

If ONE person has a full meal because of what the AFT has done, who gives a stuff as to the whys and wherefores.

Think about it!

Kevin Pedlar

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jul 28, 2010
Plymouth
Quite! Can’t think anyone who is desperate to get something from the food bank is going to say “ oh no thanks, it’s come from the efforts of the AFT”.

Bah humbug to Frank and others on this post

Pootle's Pom Pom

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Mar 13, 2009
Trowbridge or Bristol
For all the Scrooge's and miseries out there - can I just quote from the AFT website:

Our objectives include being the democratic and representative voice of the supporters of the club, increasing supporter influence in the running of the club, encouraging the club to operate sustainably, transparently and with financial responsibility, and strengthening the bonds between the club and local communities.

I have highlighted the key part for those unable to see the good in supporting those less fortunate than ourselves, the AFT helping the local community under the Plymouth Argyle umbrella.

I, for one, wholeheartedly support the AFT in this.

Jan 3, 2013
IJN":2uon9q0s said:
Knarf Reprah":2uon9q0s said:

I am so sorry not to adopt the party line ........are we no longer allowed to comment if the Mods don't agree with our view?

The foodbanks are a good idea, especially at Xmas but my PERSONAL opinion is that the AFT have more important matters to follow.

Pootle's Pom Pom

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Mar 13, 2009
Trowbridge or Bristol
Knarf Reprah":240g8jvr said:
IJN":240g8jvr said:
Knarf Reprah":240g8jvr said:

I am so sorry not to adopt the party line ........are we no longer allowed to comment if the Mods don't agree with our view?

The foodbanks are a good idea, especially at Xmas but my PERSONAL opinion is that the AFT have more important matters to follow.

And how much do you think the AFT would achieve in the 2 hours before kick off on Saturday regarding these important matters?

Feb 8, 2005
IJN":3uhw4jlz said:

If ONE person has a full meal because of what the AFT has done, who gives a stuff as to the whys and wherefores.

Think about it!

It may be waffle to you, Ian, but the same could be achieved without the AFT getting involved. The same people could be doing the same thing, but without the AFT banner at its head.

The AFT's priority is to increase membership in order to have a viable and constructive and meaningful discussion with the people running the Club. They can only be credible if their membership represents the bulk of the fanbase, not just a few.

Their task is to find a way of bringing the membership on board, without causing too much hassle for the members. For example, season ticket holders, with the agreement of the Club, could become members of the AFT automatically. A few pounds extra at renewal time would not be out of the way. Others could join as they do now. This would represent a fair proportion of the fanbase, whether they were active or not, and the AFT would then be able to say that their input into the meetings was with the full backing of the fanbase providing that they asked their members before making any decisions.

At present they are a minority representation, who have been diverted from their original task, and who cannot be seriously fully representative of the whole of the fanbase. Their criticism of the Grandstand and HHP plans was at best laughable, at worst destructive, and had no mandate by the majority of the fanbase.

This has to change for the AFT to be a viable entity to continue its work on behalf of the fanbase.

Pootle's Pom Pom

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Mar 13, 2009
Trowbridge or Bristol
jimsing":2bgzsr0y said:
IJN":2bgzsr0y said:

Think about it!

Their task is to find a way of bringing the membership on board, without causing too much hassle for the members. For example, season ticket holders, with the agreement of the Club, could become members of the AFT automatically. A few pounds extra at renewal time would not be out of the way. Others could join as they do now. This would represent a fair proportion of the fanbase, whether they were active or not, and the AFT would then be able to say that their input into the meetings was with the full backing of the fanbase providing that they asked their members before making any decisions.

Can you not see that having a prominent position outside of the Devonport end may improve people's awareness of the AFT, and result in a few additional members joining? (i.e. as people wander over to see what the collection is all about, get chatting to a member of the AFT and then think "ooh I could join that").

No, in your view they would obviously get new members by remaining out of sight and waiting until the season ticket renewals in 7 months time.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Can the detractors not see that with the banner headline "AFT Foodbank Collection" that a lot more people who either wouldn't be aware of the collection or disinclined to contribute, may now do so. Such hardhearted and uncharitable people should be ashamed, there but for the grace of God go I.

F

Frazer Lloyd-Davies

There's been some rubbish posted on here over the years, but discrediting the AFT for charitable work takes the biscuit somewhat.

The AFT isn't perfect and there is certainly room for improvement on their side. However, any initiative that supports those in need should be commended.

I'm also pleased to see some bridges being built between the AFT and Pasoti and it would be great if the two parties could build on this positively.