The Argyle Way | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Argyle Way

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Us three, hardy miss a match all season, we sometimes see games (and players performances) different.

I think we can live with that can't we?

Sep 21, 2003
Peverell
SurreyGreen":3acgyh8l said:
It might work in some games but it is tedious and boring to watch at times. Unfortunately we are stuck with it until Adams leaves. At least show some attacking intent.. I'm not saying get rid of Adams now as we are too far into the season to do that I feel, that time has passed. However for next season I would like to see a change in the way we approach games.

The dreadful, insipid football will eventually hit Argyle's season ticket and gate receipt income if it hasn't already. If Adams is in charge next season, and I'm pretty sure he will be, I'll be downgrading from green to white membership at the very least.

Oct 31, 2015
landons forehead":1g78c4e6 said:
SurreyGreen":1g78c4e6 said:
It might work in some games but it is tedious and boring to watch at times. Unfortunately we are stuck with it until Adams leaves. At least show some attacking intent.. I'm not saying get rid of Adams now as we are too far into the season to do that I feel, that time has passed. However for next season I would like to see a change in the way we approach games.

The dreadful, insipid football will eventually hit Argyle's season ticket and gate receipt income if it hasn't already. If Adams is in charge next season, and I'm pretty sure he will be, I'll be downgrading from green to white membership at the very least.

I suspect youre not the only ST holder thinking that to be honest

Princerock

ā™£ļø PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
For a team that supposed to defend well and catch them on the break...something ain't working....second worse defence in the league and we've played more games than goals scored....what part of getting it hideously wrong isn't being understood.

Tugboat

Cream First
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 24, 2007
landons forehead":9dq35w61 said:
SurreyGreen":9dq35w61 said:

Carful, youā€™ll get lambasted by the ultra greens for not being a ā€˜trueā€™ supporter with more talk of contempt.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
The games Iā€™m at (about half of them this season if a Balham Green wants the details) Iā€™ve generally found relatively entertaining bar the Oxford game for obvious reasons. I tend to find all Argyle games incredibly absorbing though, as Iā€™m so tense whenever anything happens anywhere near either goal!

I often come back to Pasoti after those games and donā€™t recognise the reports from some posters. I find I normally align with Posteyā€™s brief synopses.

In terms of the games I havenā€™t seen, I was out of town for the Gillingham game, but reading on here youā€™d think we barely left our own penalty area after scoring. In fact, reports and highlights show we almost scored twice after that goal, and conceded the equaliser with all three midfielders in the opposing half.

Adams is definitely on the pragmatic side and probably plays it too safe at times (we need to find a way to dominate teams at home), but the football is nowhere near as defensive as some say.

Oct 31, 2015
Princerock":39do3v1k said:
For a team that supposed to defend well and catch them on the break...something ain't working....second worse defence in the league and we've played more games than goals scored....what part of getting it hideously wrong isn't being understood.

Yea but that is not the real stats that matter. The tints will have you bound and gagged for such blasphemy and tell you we are on a play off style run with silky counter sttacking foitball.

What is a good barometer as well as your quote above is opposotion fans nearly all saying we are the worst team they have seen. Buy hey it will keep us up

Sep 6, 2006
Princerock":1nr24dl2 said:

To be fair 8 of those conceded were in 2 games after red cards.

Sep 6, 2006
rsp4":2zehmy6y said:
Princerock":2zehmy6y said:

Yea but that is not the real stats that matter. The tints will have you bound and gagged for such blasphemy and tell you we are on a play off style run with silky counter sttacking foitball.

What is a good barometer as well as your quote above is opposotion fans nearly all saying we are the worst team they have seen. Buy hey it will keep us up

We were probably the worst team they had seen. We are the worst team I have seen on occasion. However quite often they didn't beat us so its not objective.

Sep 6, 2006
Balham_Green":347lnrse said:
rsp4":347lnrse said:
Princerock":347lnrse said:

We WERE probably the worst team they had seen. We are the worst team I have seen on occasion. However quite often they didn't beat us so its not objective.

Sep 6, 2006
HC Green":w90ydnda said:
Balham_Green":w90ydnda said:
HC Green":w90ydnda said:
rsp4":w90ydnda said:
Just saw a twitter account with yet another opposition fan stating we were awful. Every week an opposing fan says the same.
I know some will say needs must to stay up but if this is going to be the Argyle way for the next 3 x years or until DA moves on then god help us.

It is dreary, boring to watch and other fans take the pi$$ and to cap it all it is not that affectice in Lg1.

A colleague bought something up about the way we pkay which is true. We didnt play like this until the FA cup game against Liverpool and since then DA sees it as the holy grail way of playing.

I hope the youngsters are more attack minded than the 1st team and this DOES NOT become the Argyle way

1) if you watch the U18s regularly in either the Youth Alliance league or the SWPL, you would know that the Argyle way is to choose your tactics depending on who you are playing, the way they played against Man City was completely different to how basically the same team played against Willand Rovers a week before.
2) Watching Argyle is never dreary or boring to watch but perhaps that just me not wanting Argyle to lose and enjoying the art of defending as well as the skilful midfielders and the goals we score.
3) We havenā€™t played like we did at Liverpool since then.

Re 2) I take it you weren't at Pompey then?

Yes, certainly was. Frustrated by the game but not bored.

Well I was bored out of my mind. If that's your idea of entertainment on a Saturday afternoon...

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
This is completely irrelevant to the style of play, but Iā€™m never ever bored when watching Argyle simply because I get overly excited whenever the ball is in the opposition half, and completely terrified whenever itā€™s in ours.

If weā€™re losing 4-0 with 10 men, I sit there quietly seething and bemoaning my bad fortune in following English footballā€™s biggest underachievers.

Angry, nervous, excited, demoralised or ecstatic... but rarely ever bored.

Sep 6, 2006
Biggs":gurwmjyn said:
This is completely irrelevant to the style of play, but Iā€™m never ever bored when watching Argyle simply because I get overly excited whenever the ball is in the opposition half, and completely terrified whenever itā€™s in ours.

If weā€™re losing 4-0 with 10 men, I sit there quietly seething and bemoaning my bad fortune in following English footballā€™s biggest underachievers.

Angry, nervous, excited, demoralised or ecstatic... but rarely ever bored.

Not one decent effort the whole game at Pompey. Boring!

Aug 3, 2017
To answer the original post...though I donā€™t see youth games, shouldn't the idea of at least half of the youth games be to mimic the first team? I mean, how will people develop their positions with a chance of getting in the first team if they play completely different tactics? Fletch is an example, good young player not really a target man nor is he a wide attacker. Doomed if he doesnā€™t get to mimic first team. Much the same coukd be said for Rooney and him leaving. He clearly needed a second striker.

Getting on to the topic this has morphed in to. Drab, dreary and tedious at times we have been, but come the end of the season if weā€™re out of the relegation zone, Iā€™ll be happy! One step at a time.

Who cares that other teams fans slate us. If you hear some of the comments I make about opposing teams, you think they were not fit to be professional teams. Thatā€™s football fanaticism.