The Argyle Way | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Argyle Way

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
Nobody was complaining last year when this football had us flying at the top of the table.

Unfortunately we have found ourselves in a higher league and without the players to play the way we want to, in part due to injuries.

I think if we allow Derek time and the funds we will get the right players in and compete at the top of this league - playing the way DA wants. I know we don't often "go for it" but our ball retention at times last year was sublime to watch. We were so frustrating to play against and it involved some very good passing.

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
Yeah, Biggs, I’m the same, all those emotions which you list ( & more besides!)....I just get thoroughly engrossed in the game.....the only time I remember ever getting actually bored was that horrible non-performance at Dagenham on March 17, 2015. For me that was inexplicable, had no redeeming features & just thoroughly p1ssed me off ! ( I recall “offering my Cheltenham ticket freely to a good home”- never before had I not wanted to “ see my team” whenever I could)

Other than that it’s always “ all those things what you said”......& am certainly happy to accept that “ the downs “ make “the highs” feel all the better!

Mar 14, 2009
I don't find it as boring, as l do frustrating.

The lack of movement up in the final third. The mis laid passes. The lack of penetration because we simply don't have enough pace in the team.

You don't have to play two upfront. You just have to have players who support the forward.

On another thread a person said the current style of football is similar to Sturrock mark 1 when in the lower tiers. I can see what they mean because we defended deep and sat back. The difference was though we could defend better than any Adams team because he had someone who could tackle in Stevie Adams at CDM. He had mobility in the middle of the park in Bent and Friio that were able to help the defence out but get up and support Evans. Fox and Sarcevic are just two examples of players that are too slow to do that.

The reason why Adams is seen as decent is because there is hardly much to compare him too in terms of relative success. So any type of success and we give serious adulation because we are just happy not to be having another poor season.

The question you have to ask yourself is what has the club been good at since you been supporting it?

Although we have had some success with youngster making the step up and playing in the first team over the decades, you can't really say the Argyle way is to promote the youth. You can't say we have a football identity with regards to our play style. We are neither renown for our direct or short passing games. For us to get excited about goalscring forwards we often have to go back and mention the days of Tommy Tynan. Finally, there is the crowds. Considering the population of this city the crowds have mostly been poor. People rather support plastic prem teams than Argyle. It's been the sporting butt of most jokes because people don't take the club seriously.. So the Argyle way, whatever that is, has yet to galvanise the city to get behind this team. Sure there has been Wembley. Yet after this they disappear and we are left we a similar, continuous pattern.

Of course you could point to particular periods in your life as an Argyle fan where success has been obtained and l'm sure many of you have made good friendships from supporting Argyle. Yet if you look beyond this though, l think whilst some individual's involvement with Argyle will be a happy one in the grand scheme of things if you look at us in a collective way as football fans l do think we still don't have a real identity because of any lack of successful sporting history from either the cups or the top two tiers of English football.

So really given the lack of progress this club has ever made where it's just has stagnated over the decades mainly in the bottom two tiers how can we promote and champion an Argyle way of doing things? Unless we want to continue to associate ourselves with past eras missed opportunities.

The Argyle way has been mainly of abject failure. Until we get serious financial backing by people who a). Care about the club and b). Actually have the money to make us competitive then we have to accept mid table in league one is about our level.

However, l do believe we will have our day/time as all clubs in their history are subjected to baron periods. It's just our baron periods have been the for majority of our club history which given the size of the club seems to make us some of the most unfortunate supporters.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
Metal_Green_Mickey":2629wtep said:
I don't find it as boring, as l do frustrating.

The lack of movement up in the final third. The mis laid passes. The lack of penetration because we simply don't have enough pace in the team.

You don't have to play two upfront. You just have to have players who support the forward.

On another thread a person said the current style of football is similar to Sturrock mark 1 when in the lower tiers. I can see what they mean because we defended deep and sat back. The difference was though we could defend better than any Adams team because he had someone who could tackle in Stevie Adams at CDM. He had mobility in the middle of the park in Bent and Friio that were able to help the defence out but get up and support Evans. Fox and Sarcevic are just two examples of players that are too slow to do that.

The reason why Adams is seen as decent is because there is hardly much to compare him too in terms of relative success. So any type of success and we give serious adulation because we are just happy not to be having another poor season.

The question you have to ask yourself is what has the club been good at since you been supporting it?

Although we have had some success with youngster making the step up and playing in the first team over the decades, you can't really say the Argyle way is to promote the youth. You can't say we have a football identity with regards to our play style. We are neither renown for our direct or short passing games. For us to get excited about goalscring forwards we often have to go back and mention the days of Tommy Tynan. Finally, there is the crowds. Considering the population of this city the crowds have mostly been poor. People rather support plastic prem teams than Argyle. It's been the sporting butt of most jokes because people don't take the club seriously.. So the Argyle way, whatever that is, has yet to galvanise the city to get behind this team. Sure there has been Wembley. Yet after this they disappear and we are left we a similar, continuous pattern.

So really given the lack of progress this club has ever made where it's just has stagnated over the decades mainly in the bottom two tiers how can we promote and champion an Argyle way of doing things? Unless we want to continue to associate ourselves with past eras missed opportunities.

The Argyle way has been mainly of abject failure. Until we get serious financial backing by people who a). Care about the club and b). Actually have the money to make us competitive then we have to accept mid table in league one is about our level.

However, l do believe we will have our day/time as all clubs in their history are subjected to baron periods. It's just our baron periods have been the for majority of our club history which given the size of the club seems to make us some of the most unfortunate supporters.

Agree with regards to the fan base. Its frustrating knowing we could of sold Home Park 3/4 times when we played Liverpool and taking 35k plus up to Wembley yet barely get over 8/9k in league one.

If I ever win millions and millions on the lottery I'll offer to buy Argyle. Although I'd need to start doing the lottery first!

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
Yes, MGM, Stevie Adams was often under -recognised for that job he did, the likes of which we don’t , as you say, really have now.
That goal at Luton was another aspect of Stevie ( did he not do similar at Roots Hall, one dank November evening?)
A great pleasure to see him at a recent Fansfest ( & begged me the question as to how many players of more recent years would be such ready “returnees”)

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Agree totally with Mickey's points about failure. People say 'same old Argyle' for a reason, not because they have some sort of apathetic Janner gene. It's because they've seen Argyle fail or be in the lower divisions year after year after year.

As I said, we are English football's biggest underachievers. That is factually correct as we are the biggest city (Wakefield does NOT count :lol:) to have not hosted top flight football.

There has to be a reason for that, I personally feel that the correlation between being the most isolated club and most underachieving club can't be a coincidence.

Jul 9, 2008
Plymouth
The best, most professional outfits have all their teams playing the same style. Surely this is the only way to ensure seamless integration when introducing reserve or youth team players. The system is efficient and effective, but requires the right personell (a good 'hold up' No 9),, something that has been denied to Adams until recently and with the right 'runners' from midfield the system can be quite fluid. The Jan transfer window will be key to our further progress.Adams, overall has a goodish record getting the right players. I am hugely optomistic!

Jul 12, 2016
Thomas Edwards ,you say "nobody was complaining last year when this football had us flying at the top of the table"You obviously don't read Pasoti very often!

Sep 6, 2006
Biggs":3ekgpbu5 said:
Agree totally with Mickey's points about failure. People say 'same old Argyle' for a reason, not because they have some sort of apathetic Janner gene. It's because they've seen Argyle fail or be in the lower divisions year after year after year.

As I said, we are English football's biggest underachievers. That is factually correct as we are the biggest city (Wakefield does NOT count :lol:) to have not hosted top flight football.

There has to be a reason for that, I personally feel that the correlation between being the most isolated club and most underachieving club can't be a coincidence.

Population of Milton Keynes?

Apr 9, 2011
Duncan Rice":h5id5b2t said:
The best, most professional outfits have all their teams playing the same style. Surely this is the only way to ensure seamless integration when introducing reserve or youth team players. The system is efficient and effective, but requires the right personell (a good 'hold up' No 9),, something that has been denied to Adams until recently and with the right 'runners' from midfield the system can be quite fluid. The Jan transfer window will be key to our further progress.Adams, overall has a goodish record getting the right players. I am hugely optomistic!
"goodish record" have you had a good look at what was signed in the summer :doh:

Apr 29, 2016
Not sure why every post has to turn into the same subject but it’s getting pretty boring I have to say. If we get back to the original post. Even if you want to tar the first team with a negative brush please don’t start to criticise the youngsters. They played positively against Eastleigh and the same against Wimbledon, if you’re advocating that they should have had a go at Man City then you’re really “off your rocker”!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Balham_Green":8r78rlhp said:
Biggs":8r78rlhp said:

229,000 apparently. Plymouth is 264,000.

Also, Plymouth is quite unique among larger cities in that it doesn't lay claim to an urban area. That 264,000 figure is strictly within boundaries that end at places like Roborough, Woolwell and Chaddlewood.

If you did what the City of Wakefield and many other conurbations did, then you'd include Ivybridge, Saltash, Bovisand, Torpoint etc etc and probably have nearly 400,000 in a new Plymouth Urban Area. And those places are much closer to Plymouth than Pontefract is to Wakefield.

Even Milton Keynes population is listed as an 'urban area' which includes separate places like Newport Pagnell and Woburn Sands. Though MK not the best example as it always was designed as an urban sprawl of suburbs and not a conventional city.

I think I've gone off topic slightly, sorry! :facepalm:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Balham_Green":600djbr6 said:
Biggs":600djbr6 said:

Is a town and not a city.

The City of Brighton and Hove has now relinquished the title of largest city without top flight football so somebody has to claim it. However Wakefield IS a city though so I'm not sure why it's not allowed to be dumped with the dishonour.

Whether you believe Wakefield to be s proper city or not, there is enough reason to let them have it.... unless of course, Plymouth actually wants to claim this negative title.