The Argyle Way | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Argyle Way

Aug 5, 2016
Pootle's Pom Pom":29v88vgm said:
phil-thefluter24":29v88vgm said:
Knibbsworth":29v88vgm said:
16 points from the last 10 league matches.

Comfortable top half form.
So why, are after all this "upturn" in form are we still third from bottom!!

Probably because we only took 5 points from the first 11 games. Or is that too difficult to understand?

First 11 matches:
1 WIN
2 DRAWS
8 DEFEATS
= 5 Pts

Second 11 matches:
4 WINS
4 DRAWS
3 DEFEATS
= 16 points

Of course, this is not including the tricky cup game away to Bradford where we played very well in my opinion and created some great chances, only to miss them and concede freak goals at the other end.

Nor does it include the game at Huish Park, where Adams dropped Diagouraga, started the unknown keeper Mannion, gave Taylor and Threlkeld some pitch time who hadn't played a competitive match for months, and started Fletcher up front while experimenting with a two striker formation.

The negative out there feel it is quite important that the fact we lost these cup games is a detail that doesn't go unmissed. Picking up three times the points we were (over an extensive period) is apparently just papering over the cracks by the positive and delusional.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Just one more point on the Argyle style of playing.

Implementing a 'philosophy' doesn't always have to be in the Swansea/Barcelona-style tiki-taka vein.

At clubs like Atletico Madrid and Spurs (perhaps the Argentinian manager link isn't a coincidence), the focus from top down is on steel, fight and character.

The determination and resilience on show from the first team v Liverpool, and the youngsters v City, would certainly reflect that sort of mentality running throughout the club.

Sep 6, 2006
Biggs":12i47zu0 said:
Balham_Green":12i47zu0 said:
Biggs":12i47zu0 said:
Agree totally with Mickey's points about failure. People say 'same old Argyle' for a reason, not because they have some sort of apathetic Janner gene. It's because they've seen Argyle fail or be in the lower divisions year after year after year.

As I said, we are English football's biggest underachievers. That is factually correct as we are the biggest city (Wakefield does NOT count :lol:) to have not hosted top flight football.

There has to be a reason for that, I personally feel that the correlation between being the most isolated club and most underachieving club can't be a coincidence.

Population of Milton Keynes?

229,000 apparently. Plymouth is 264,000.

Also, Plymouth is quite unique among larger cities in that it doesn't lay claim to an urban area. That 264,000 figure is strictly within boundaries that end at places like Roborough, Woolwell and Chaddlewood.

If you did what the City of Wakefield and many other conurbations did, then you'd include Ivybridge, Saltash, Bovisand, Torpoint etc etc and probably have nearly 400,000 in a new Plymouth Urban Area. And those places are much closer to Plymouth than Pontefract is to Wakefield.

Even Milton Keynes population is listed as an 'urban area' which includes separate places like Newport Pagnell and Woburn Sands. Though MK not the best example as it always was designed as an urban sprawl of suburbs and not a conventional city.

I think I've gone off topic slightly, sorry! :facepalm:

MK is much bigger than that.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Balham_Green":1k9wlu2x said:

It isn't.

Very off topic again, but the latest figure for the BOROUGH of Milton Keynes is 255,000 but much like the City of Wakefield includes places like Olney... 12 miles north and vast swathes of countryside away from Milton Keynes proper. The 262,000 for Plymouth proper is still bigger than that.

Again though... if Plymouth had a similar unitary authority or urban area, it would include places like Ivybridge, Tavistock, Saltash etc etc etc and would be pushing 400,000.

May 8, 2011
Back on topic, I’ve now seen the U18s play against Willand, Manchester City and Exeter City over the last fortnight, just to say that the Argyle Way is to change your tactics and team set up depending on the opposition, seems most logical to me.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Biggs":35olhv44 said:
Balham_Green":35olhv44 said:

It isn't.

Very off topic again, but the latest figure for the BOROUGH of Milton Keynes is 255,000 but much like the City of Wakefield includes places like Olney... 12 miles north and vast swathes of countryside away from Milton Keynes proper. The 262,000 for Plymouth proper is still bigger than that.

Again though... if Plymouth had a similar unitary authority or urban area, it would include places like Ivybridge, Tavistock, Saltash etc etc etc and would be pushing 400,000.

The City of Wakefield may be a collection of conurbations but it holds City status. That's the simple fact and is what puts them into the mix. What makes a city a city isn't up for discussion. They qualify, end of.