The disgraceful state of the ground | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The disgraceful state of the ground

nikkk

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 8, 2011
IJN":36p6wvog said:
MannameadGreen":36p6wvog said:
Graham Clark has it spot on.

Is he, why, because you agree with him?

Many of us want to help the club in anyway we can, even on this thread someone with vast expertise and professional standing has got off his arse and done something to help the club. That's what SOME fans want to do.

Because you, Graham and a few others don't agree with that doesn't make it any more valid than what others think and do.

I think that is a such a good point. I really don't see a problem with the fact that fans WANT to get involved in projects like this. From a technical expert or a few with toothbrushes ! This is perfect for fans getting involved and supporting the club beyond buying tickets. And whilst there may be issues of maintenance that ideally need addressing I am firmly in the camp of putting everything into the team and getting out of this league. The other minor issues can be sorted after promotion as far as I am concerned.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
IJN":23n36nqr said:
MannameadGreen":23n36nqr said:

Many of us want to help the club in anyway we can, even on this thread someone with vast expertise and professional standing has got off his arse and done something to help the club. That's what SOME fans want to do.

Because you, Graham and a few others don't agree with that doesn't make it any more valid than what others think and do.

But that's not the point, surely. Those people shouldn't HAVE to help maintain the club's property, when our finances are in (relatively) good shape. Murals, decorations, ideas to promote the club, fan fests....fantastic fan initiatives. But not basic maintenance.

Why have a welfare state when there are charities willing to help homeless people? Because it's the state's responsibility to look after its citizens. It's Argyle and the council's responsibility to look after the stadium.

Quinny":2fvpr9qp said:
MannameadGreen":2fvpr9qp said:
Graham Clark has it spot on. There is absolutely no way the fans should be paying to maintain the bricks.

Some things cannot be done and paid for by volunteers - James Brent is a rich businessman whom we shouldn't be bailing out on this issue. It's a football club not dogs for the blind. We can't keep donating, unless we might as well become a fan run club.

I disagree with this idea that James Brent is a rich person who should be dipping into his pocket to fund ... whatever ... because the club can't afford to pay for everything the fans expect it to. Clubs being totally reliant in rich benefactors because they can't control their finances is everything which is wrong with modern football, and JB made it clear from the start that he wasn't going to be a piggy bank we can dip into whenever we need cash. His role was to help the club turn around from running at a loss which is what any responsible club should be doing.

So your starter for ten: you're on the board of the club with a fixed budget. Do you dip into the money set aside for players to fund additional repairs to the stadium or do you do what you can with the budget you have?
Obviously, I would rather he spends money on the playing budget rather than maintenance. But as Biggs says, I don't think there's a conflict here. If the club is turning a profit and it's not being reinvested for literally the most basic ground maintenance, then what's the point in us actually turning a profit?

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
Quinny":2j3irkq7 said:
MannameadGreen":2j3irkq7 said:
Graham Clark has it spot on. There is absolutely no way the fans should be paying to maintain the bricks.

Some things cannot be done and paid for by volunteers - James Brent is a rich businessman whom we shouldn't be bailing out on this issue. It's a football club not dogs for the blind. We can't keep donating, unless we might as well become a fan run club.

I disagree with this idea that James Brent is a rich person who should be dipping into his pocket to fund ... whatever ... because the club can't afford to pay for everything the fans expect it to. Clubs being totally reliant in rich benefactors because they can't control their finances is everything which is wrong with modern football, and JB made it clear from the start that he wasn't going to be a piggy bank we can dip into whenever we need cash. His role was to help the club turn around from running at a loss which is what any responsible club should be doing.

So your starter for ten: you're on the board of the club with a fixed budget. Do you dip into the money set aside for players to fund additional repairs to the stadium or do you do what you can with the budget you have?
Fingers crossed for Joe Mason moving to Wolves then. A nice little bonus.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
nikkk":f768llnq said:
IJN":f768llnq said:
MannameadGreen":f768llnq said:

I think that is a such a good point. I really don't see a problem with the fact that fans WANT to get involved in projects like this. From a technical expert or a few with toothbrushes ! This is perfect for fans getting involved and supporting the club beyond buying tickets. And whilst there may be issues of maintenance that ideally need addressing I am firmly in the camp of putting everything into the team and getting out of this league. The other minor issues can be sorted after promotion as far as I am concerned.

I don't think there's any issue with volunteering, if that's what people want to do then brilliant - very admirable. But it is disappointing that without fans noticing the decay and acting upon it, that it would simply not be done and would rot. That's the wider issue here really, though menial for some and more meaningful for others.

Isn't this quite simple ?

IF the Club is obligated morally or legally then it HAS to be binding on them ?

PAFC - be warned !!

Whether they choose to designate volunteers to comply, so be it.

IF it is done - to the required level ?

Job done ?

IF the Club feels it is NOT obligated to ANYONE or ANYTHING then the fans, related to those who they feel
must be remembered, can decide whatever action they think appropriate ?

Personally, I would think it may be incumbent on the Club - yes, even in times of austerity - to show THEIR mettle and respond favourably - in whatever way ?

The outcome, hopefully, will be beneficial to ALL, without great expense AND loss of face !!

Keep the Faith :scarf:

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
there isn't any spare cash though.that is the problem.commercial department be ready if we get promoted to get this "repair" sponsored by an argyle supporting building company.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
TinTin":3s39w5og said:
£300k as a 10% [minimum] sell-on clause for Joe Mason COULD pay for the maintenance of a NEW wall AND bricks - for a LONG time ?

Keep the Faith :scarf:
i don't remember reading of a sell on clause for joe mason.i hope there is tin tin,we need every penny we can muster to feed this cash hungry business.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
I'd be very surprised if there was a sell-on clause: we were in administration, we needed cash, and cash at that point was vitally more important than potential money x years down the line. We were hardly in a position to demand terms when Cardiff offered £250k for him.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
There was no sell on clause for Mason mentioned in the final admin report from Guilfoyle but did state the sell on clauses for other players.
Today the club confirmed to the Herald there is a sell on clause for Mason but no percentage was given.

The Herald says we sold Mason for £250,000, the admin report says £150,000.