The Future (Cornish recognition) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Future (Cornish recognition)

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
I believe the problem is far worse than the OP first envisaged; Plymouth as a city is neither represented by the Devon or Cornwall County Councils but by its own unitary authority. As a result, whilst using Plymouth as our base city we neither represent the counties of Devon or Cornwall and so by over playing our "Plymouth" heritage we could face losing support from not just Cornwall but Devon as well.

Right now we could even be described as placing too much focus on our Cornish support; as somebody mentioned before, we previously had a Cornish brand and the Cornish flag slapped across our shirts in the form of the infamous "red blob" of Ginsters who although looked down upon by connoisseurs of the Cornish Pasty are nevertheless a Cornish company. Since then over the past few seasons we have switched sponsors to Bond Timber, again a Cornish company which is owned by a Cornish family, further to this across the tops of both the Devonport and Family stands we have the name of a company founded by a Plymothian (of course not a Devonian) and based in Cornwall in the form of Nikkk and FES. As many will also know all of those years ago Argyle FC was initially set up by two Cornishmen who weren't keen on the egg chasing that went on down our way...

On reflection of these facts it could be said that we don't do enough to thank our Devon-based support. Plymouth is well represented, they've taken the name and also provide a home to the club, the Cornish seem to fund the whole operation but we seem happy to do so as we are still well recognised for this support with our Cornish companies well represented on the shirts and in the stands. Devon however has been a bit neglected if you ask me and so in our search to provide yet further recognition to the Cornish fanbase we could face further marginalisation our Devon supporters...

:greensmile:

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
Green_Flash":2egz4895 said:
No, Plymouth Argyle is a Devon club. Cornish fans are more than welcome, but if they want a club with a Cornish identity they will need to set up their own.
As you know this is in hand. I've said that over the last few weeks and indeed have already pencilled in some of my squad.
Graiser
http://cl.jroo.me/z1/P/O/X/d/a.eaa-smal ... ld-age.jpg

IJN
http://scraps99.com/main/greetings/funn ... ap-751.jpg

Stevethegym
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7239880704/h68657394/
and a video of Tuggers practising
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLhcyxCxBdM

and we've been practising
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAB6o_7hQBE

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
greengenes":rmypemgj said:
Why does everything need to be broken down into divisions ?
Just support the Club of your choice .
Wise words and common sense. I'm convinced that some people on this thread are on something.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Penmaster":30xfvdpo said:
Gary_Wills":30xfvdpo said:
And my point being football clubs are not community assets, they don't democratically represent a population in any way, they are private small businesses offering live entertainment that's all they are. However privileged their press coverage is given the small importance in local business and society they have.

If that business wants to adapt its merchandise for its customers, so be it. But it's a rocky road pleasing one 'group' without distancing others. As this thread proves.

Not community assets? But every single club in the football league is named after the city/town/village/suburb that it is based in? How can they not be viewed as comminity assets? Why do Argyle maintain a financial commitment to being family club of the year if the club is not viewed as a community asset? Its a football club with numerous youth teams and some disability team - how can it not be viewed as a community asset?

Not all, Pm. Arsenal, Port Vale. For example.
"Maintain a financial commitment" is just waffle, but I suspect relates to some corporate responsibility equivalent, all standard business practice. As is attracting customers and potential employees at a young age as a loss leader, with those teams you mention.
If only what, say 1%, of the city's population (taking account of the non-Plymouth, Cornish brethren which flock in) regularly goes to its matches it can't claim to represent the whole community in any way can it. That would be like a Henry the Ninth declaring the official religion of England to be Jedi. Sort of.

P

Piran-Pilgrim

As you can tell by my username I am Cornish and whilst I can't speak for all I know the minority are pleased as is they see Plymouth Argyle as a league team from Devon but supported from lands end to John o'Groats and further, I loved being sponsored by Ginsters, purely for the badge not the red, leave as is why when there isn't a problem do people make one.

Apr 30, 2011
Gary_Wills":1u5rf00w said:
Penmaster":1u5rf00w said:
Gary_Wills":1u5rf00w said:
And my point being football clubs are not community assets, they don't democratically represent a population in any way, they are private small businesses offering live entertainment that's all they are. However privileged their press coverage is given the small importance in local business and society they have.

If that business wants to adapt its merchandise for its customers, so be it. But it's a rocky road pleasing one 'group' without distancing others. As this thread proves.

Not community assets? But every single club in the football league is named after the city/town/village/suburb that it is based in? How can they not be viewed as comminity assets? Why do Argyle maintain a financial commitment to being family club of the year if the club is not viewed as a community asset? Its a football club with numerous youth teams and some disability team - how can it not be viewed as a community asset?

Not all, Pm. Arsenal, Port Vale. For example.
"Maintain a financial commitment" is just waffle, but I suspect relates to some corporate responsibility equivalent, all standard business practice. As is attracting customers and potential employees at a young age as a loss leader, with those teams you mention.
If only what, say 1%, of the city's population (taking account of the non-Plymouth, Cornish brethren which flock in) regularly goes to its matches it can't claim to represent the whole community in any way can it. That would be like a Henry the Ninth declaring the official religion of England to be Jedi. Sort of.

Quite synical GW - but I can't argue too much with it without knowing the mindset of the people who make decisions at the club.

C

Cult Of Personality

I refused to buy the shirts when they have pride of Cornwall on or that silly flag

And i would refuse to buy any away shirt that was in Black And Gold .

I am thankful for any supports but we have fans from all around the world by that logic we should honour them to with a kit or something

Typical Cornish wanting more and more

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Cult Of Personality":2zysmb2a said:
I refused to buy the shirts when they have pride of Cornwall on or that silly flag

And i would refuse to buy any away shirt that was in Black And Gold .

I am thankful for any supports but we have fans from all around the world by that logic we should honour them to with a kit or something

Typical Cornish wanting more and more

Too right and while we're at it why not go back to the old "Argyle FC" name, no need to commemorate them people from Plymouth!!!

Not read the thread as I don't have any time these days. Like Ginsters I'm Gwrys yn Kernow, Cornish and very very proud, I'm also an Argyle fan and very VREY proud.
Whether some understand it or not, like it or not, us Cornish are different to the Janners. In crude terms The Cornish are Celtic by birth and the Janners Anglo Saxon. We have our own history going back thousands of years, different culture, customs and even the Cornish language is making a come back with hundreds of new people taking it up every year. But Argyle is Plymouth Argyle, we all know that and we love the club because of that. The idea of changing anything other than our league position and the old stand is preposterous and a tad offensive to be honest. What about the fans that travel from Somerset and all over the place? I'm grateful we're welcomed over the bridge to support the club.

A year or two ago someone posted club figures that said the Argyle fanbase was made up of a third from Cornwall which did surprise me a little, I think the stats also showed that the Cornish support wavered far less than the local support as we dropped down the leagues which contradicts the original posters point. I think if you're prepared to spend hours travelling to every home game year in year out it can be just as hard to give it up as to say I can't be arsed to put in this much effort now we're crap!

Argyle could be marketed better though, with a catchment area of nearly 500,000 and the offer of League football in a good stadium its silly not to. Hopefully when everything is built they will market it as a fun day out for the whole family, come to Plymouth Argyle and everything else all in one place.

Agas gweles, Oll an gwella.

Apr 30, 2011
Devonportender":15nx9y58 said:
Not read the thread as I don't have any time these days. Like Ginsters I'm Gwrys yn Kernow, Cornish and very very proud, I'm also an Argyle fan and very VREY proud.
Whether some understand it or not, like it or not, us Cornish are different to the Janners. In crude terms The Cornish are Celtic by birth and the Janners Anglo Saxon. We have our own history going back thousands of years, different culture, customs and even the Cornish language is making a come back with hundreds of new people taking it up every year. But Argyle is Plymouth Argyle, we all know that and we love the club because of that. The idea of changing anything other than our league position and the old stand is preposterous and a tad offensive to be honest. What about the fans that travel from Somerset and all over the place? I'm grateful we're welcomed over the bridge to support the club.

A year or two ago someone posted club figures that said the Argyle fanbase was made up of a third from Cornwall which did surprise me a little, I think the stats also showed that the Cornish support wavered far less than the local support as we dropped down the leagues which contradicts the original posters point. I think if you're prepared to spend hours travelling to every home game year in year out it can be just as hard to give it up as to say I can't be arsed to put in this much effort now we're crap!

Argyle could be marketed better though, with a catchment area of nearly 500,000 and the offer of League football in a good stadium its silly not to. Hopefully when everything is built they will market it as a fun day out for the whole family, come to Plymouth Argyle and everything else all in one place.

Would marketing the club in Cornwall with a clear nod in the direction of Cornish Argo fans be the hook for some of the 500,000 you refer to? I'm not sure if argo go into Cornish schools or not but I know they have had community and partnership with Plymouth schools and minority groups such as the homeless via The Salvation Army.

Apr 9, 2011
Biggs":1ukk53bl said:
Green_Flash":1ukk53bl said:
Because clubs base their identity on the cities they are in and that is the formula that attracts fans, not just from the city but from the surrounding areas - that is true of every club in the country. As you say, Cornish fans already come to Argyle in large numbers.

We could go the cricket route and name clubs after counties rather than cities but I dont think it is quite as successful a formula...

I don't think anyone is suggesting changing the badge or name, but nods to the Cornish support would be nice. I mean Christ, if the club released that St Pirans flag t-shirt I'd be all over it. Didn't they used to sell caps with the flag on the side?
They did! i ve got one!!

Devonportender":20hzta4c said:

Just a little bit of info regarding "celtic" and the sw peninsular.
The "celtic" dumnomni tribe inhabited most of this area at that time with devon and
cornwall coming much later.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... AbyRY-7o0w
So i reckon us janners got a bit of celtic in us as well.