The greatest moment of my life (Legend) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The greatest moment of my life (Legend)

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Tugboat":2ay0us4o said:
Legend status to an individual may differ from person to person.

I think I'm a legend.

The missus thinks I'm a ball bag.

Each to there own.

:funny: Wish I hadn't read that one in the office!

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
To be a club legend anywhere, an individual must surely have left a legendary impression or legacy to warrant that legendary status. So who would you name as true Argyle legends if such status could only be attributed to a maximum of half a dozen individuals? Don't forget they may not have been players. They can be stalwarts of the club, maybe managers, owners, chairmen or even supporters.

So come, name your six but tell us why if it isn't obvious. And if Cobi wants to include Luke then fine but explain why. Discounting someone because you never saw them is not allowed. A true legend lives on long after their passing.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
In my lifetime:-

Paul Mariner

Johnny Hore

Kevin Hodges

Paul Sturrock #1

Tommy Tynan.

Jim Furnell

Aug 22, 2006
Tugboat":1mv3zamb said:
Legend status to an individual may differ from person to person.

I think I'm a legend.

The missus thinks I'm a ball bag.

Each to there own.

:funny: Probably the best post ever.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
IJN":2o0dusxe said:

Paul Mariner

Johnny Hore

Kevin Hodges

Paul Sturrock #1

Tommy Tynan.

Jim Furnell

As an outsider (and club legends should be recognisable to supporters of other clubs), without explanation, I can only understand two of those. Sturrock and Tynan. And what about before your lifetime?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Not much consideration of history going on. The point being the club is over 125 years old and there must be individuals who are worthy who graced Home Park before you started attending.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
For instance. I never saw Johnnie Byrne play for Palace but I recognise that to play for England whilst being a third division player is worthy of legendary status so don't dismiss those before your time.

Jun 19, 2006
Somewhere or other
Lundan Cabbie":3exxbxoo said:
Not much consideration of history going on. The point being the club is over 125 years old and there must be individuals who are worthy who graced Home Park before you started attending.
Yes but I never saw them, e.g. I never saw Mariner

Sammy Black or Wilf Carter would be up there but in my lifetime as an Argyle fan, thats what I'm going with

Jan 26, 2013
Plymouth
Judiging by the fact the OP created this thread at 2.30 AM suggested it might possibly have been a casual drunken post. Hilarious how it's now evolved into a debate over what constitutes being a legend :funny:

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Lundan Cabbie":13x6bhy2 said:
IJN":13x6bhy2 said:

Paul Mariner

Johnny Hore

Kevin Hodges

Paul Sturrock #1

Tommy Tynan.

Jim Furnell

As an outsider (and club legends should be recognisable to supporters of other clubs), without explanation, I can only understand two of those. Sturrock and Tynan. And what about before your lifetime?

All the others mentioned are club legends. Why should only people that you might have heard of deserve legend status? don't get that at all.
You must have heard of Mariner? Furnell was great for us. Hodges record appearances for us.
Johny Hore??!"!?? you must have heard of him because ..... (wait for it!!) .... he's here, he's there, he's every f***ingwhere Johny Hore Johny Hore!! :scarf:

Lundan Cabbie":318jh472 said:
For instance. I never saw Johnnie Byrne play for Palace but I recognise that to play for England whilst being a third division player is worthy of legendary status so don't dismiss those before your time.

Never heard of him, so by your logic he can't be a legend.

Nathan Lowndes is a legend to me. He's a ginger footballer, and he once served me a plate of chips. Legend.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Pogleswoody":1rz37c5n said:
Lundan Cabbie":1rz37c5n said:
IJN":1rz37c5n said:

Paul Mariner

Johnny Hore

Kevin Hodges

Paul Sturrock #1

Tommy Tynan.

Jim Furnell

All the others mentioned are club legends. Why should only people that you might have heard of deserve legend status? don't get that at all.
You must have heard of Mariner? Furnell was great for us. Hodges record appearances for us.
Johny Hore??!"!?? you must have heard of him because ..... (wait for it!!) .... he's here, he's there, he's every f***ingwhere Johny Hore Johny Hore!! :scarf:

I have heard of all of them apart from ironicaly Johnny Hore although I have seen the name on here but I have no idea what he did to acheive legendary status.

Kevin Hodges I get. Paul Sturrock I get. The others were exceptionally good players for Argyle but is that enough? Why are any of these mentioned ahead of someone such as Jack Leslie, whose story is loaded with legend?

Remember, the question is NOT "who have been the best players you have seen in a green shirt?"

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
If that was the question I would have answered differently.

Mariner, everyone had heard of him even Palace fans.

Johnny Hore, there was a song about him.

Kevin Hodges, legend end of, record appearances at any club is always a legend.

Jim Furnell, most Palace fans have cried at his name. :lol:

Tommy Tynan the best striker Bob Paisley had ever seen.

How's that?