The greatest moment of my life (Legend) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The greatest moment of my life (Legend)

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Cobi Budge.":1s62jkud said:
Sorry but I can't include someone in my list if I haven't seen them play, despite the impact they made and the legacy they left.

My list from my lifetime:

1. Sturrock

Reason: Luggy was in charge during my first season supporting the club, two promotions, a team of real spirit and character. Not only that, a great guy and loves the club, not to mention all the donations for the staff's pay.

2. Ro

It's rare you get a player with that much dedication and loyalty, a model professional, so much passion and a fine goalkeeper in his day.

3. David Frio

Self explanatory, I don't ever go to HP and not hear his name mentioned. A real legend who certainly carved his place in the history books.

4. Luke McCormick

Always nice to include a player who was here at the start of his career (and most likely the end). He was my childhood hero, we watched him grow from a prospect to a keeper on the verge of the top flight and he would without much doubt be a PL keeper now if it wasn't for what happened. But now he's come back he's still a great keeper. Lovely guy and loves the club.

5. Mickey Evans

Self explanatory again I think. When you looked at him you thought "you shouldn't be any good", but oh he was. Remember his last game against ipswich, scored the winning goal and the entire team piled on top of him.

6. Carl Fletcher

Probably not one many will pick, but a club legend who often isn't recognised as one due to how it all ended. A great midfielder and captain, could have jumped ship after either relegation but he was a loyal servant and went unpaid for longer than any other I believe. He wasn't a great manager but I could never doubt his passion. I wanted him out but never disliked him. Legend to me.

So, when was it that you saw Sturrock play then Cobi?? :whistle:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Cobi Budge.":2lduret2 said:
We all know what legend means LC. Most people use the word too frequently, you seem to be far too strict with its use.

Simple question, do you not think Ro and Wotton are Argyle legends?

As a non Argyle supporter it isn't for me to say but if you as an Argyle fan are telling me they are then that's fine but for me to understand your reasons you must tell me what legendary qualities they had. They are most definitely Argyle heroes but you must convince me to how they went that step further.

I will say though that the players who kept the club going by playing without being paid were massive heroes and in time this could well be seen as legendary and I believe Ro is amongst those.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Dan Ellard":279imxze said:
LC you are without a doubt the most patronising poster I have ever come across, by some distance.

Give me strength.

But not legendary :greensmile:

I have had this same discussion on my own club's pages where Palace fans too over use the word legend so it's nothing personal against people on here.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Just a term, like good or great, or 'ace' so why wouldn't all we have our own definitions of who or what is legendary. Odd to suggest that others are wrong in their use or definition.

Can't back a statue without ever seeing or hearing the guy Bob Jack. If the Argyle brethren who did know him didn't think him worthy of a statue, why on earth should we know better?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Gary_Wills":3l9rkaja said:
Just a term, like good or great, or 'ace' so why wouldn't all we have our own definitions of who or what is legendary. Odd to suggest that others are wrong in their use or definition.

Can't back a statue without ever seeing or hearing the guy Bob Jack. If the Argyle brethren who did know him didn't think him worthy of a statue, why on earth should we know better?

That's my point. Legend doesn't mean a good or a great, well not in English anyway.

P

Paul_Roberts

Gary_Wills":2k8yi4j2 said:

Probably because immortalising football folk in statue form is a relatively modern phenomenon.

Footballers were akin to postmen back in Bob Jack's day. I've got a lot of time for my postman, he's a lovely chap, but I don't think he's got much hope of his form being cast in bronze for his services to letters.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Paul_Roberts":2ka32qjj said:
Gary_Wills":2ka32qjj said:

Probably because immortalising football folk in statue form is a relatively modern phenomenon.

Footballers were akin to postmen back in Bob Jack's day. I've got a lot of time for my postman, he's a lovely chap, but I don't think he's got much hope of his form being cast in bronze for his services to letters.

I've seen statues move faster than my postman! :furious:

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Paul_Roberts":2qp3cctf said:
Gary_Wills":2qp3cctf said:

Immortalising folk whose mortality you know, maybe. Unknown idols, very odd. Though a handful believe apparently that spectating a football team is tantamount to the commitment of religion. 

Perhaps hero worship of sport players was just as unlikely a century ago as showering adoration on a postman, nurse or soldier I guess. Perhaps.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Our 'statue' hasn't arrived at the club yet. It'll be the man (or woman, it's a changing world) who eventually gets us into the top flight if it ever happens.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
GreenSam":1ndtrwt0 said:
Our 'statue' hasn't arrived at the club yet. It'll be the man (or woman, it's a changing world) who eventually gets us into the top flight if it ever happens.

No, I am already there, just had an unexpected delay from Camelot!! :scarf: