The greatest moment of my life (Legend) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The greatest moment of my life (Legend)

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
IJN":2iv63cx9 said:
If that was the question I would have answered differently.

Mariner, everyone had heard of him even Palace fans.

Johnny Hore, there was a song about him.

Kevin Hodges, legend end of, record appearances at any club is always a legend.

Jim Furnell, most Palace fans have cried at his name. :lol:

Tommy Tynan the best striker Bob Paisley had ever seen.

How's that?

Why Venners was allowed to take that penalty we will never know :greensmile:

As for Mariner, of course I have heard of him. He scored six goals in the UEFA Cup and picking up a winners medal making him an IPSWICH legend ;)

I see Mariner for Argyle similarly to how I see Ian Wright for Palace. Both came from non-league, both scored goals for their clubs, both helped achieve promotion, both went on to have a career for their country after moving on and both acheived legendary status with their next club. However, for Argyle and Palace they were no more than exceptional talents.

C

Cobi Budge.

Sorry but I can't include someone in my list if I haven't seen them play, despite the impact they made and the legacy they left.

My list from my lifetime:

1. Sturrock

Reason: Luggy was in charge during my first season supporting the club, two promotions, a team of real spirit and character. Not only that, a great guy and loves the club, not to mention all the donations for the staff's pay.

2. Ro

It's rare you get a player with that much dedication and loyalty, a model professional, so much passion and a fine goalkeeper in his day.

3. David Frio

Self explanatory, I don't ever go to HP and not hear his name mentioned. A real legend who certainly carved his place in the history books.

4. Luke McCormick

Always nice to include a player who was here at the start of his career (and most likely the end). He was my childhood hero, we watched him grow from a prospect to a keeper on the verge of the top flight and he would without much doubt be a PL keeper now if it wasn't for what happened. But now he's come back he's still a great keeper. Lovely guy and loves the club.

5. Mickey Evans

Self explanatory again I think. When you looked at him you thought "you shouldn't be any good", but oh he was. Remember his last game against ipswich, scored the winning goal and the entire team piled on top of him.

6. Carl Fletcher

Probably not one many will pick, but a club legend who often isn't recognised as one due to how it all ended. A great midfielder and captain, could have jumped ship after either relegation but he was a loyal servant and went unpaid for longer than any other I believe. He wasn't a great manager but I could never doubt his passion. I wanted him out but never disliked him. Legend to me.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
As much as I would love to include Fletcher I just can't as his second season was the most disillusioned I've ever been supporting Argyle.

1.Sturrock
2.Ro
3.Friio
4.Evans
5.Norris

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Cobi Budge.":1smlizts said:
Sorry but I can't include someone in my list if I haven't seen them play, despite the impact they made and the legacy they left.

My list from my lifetime:

1. Sturrock

Reason: Luggy was in charge during my first season supporting the club, two promotions, a team of real spirit and character. Not only that, a great guy and loves the club, not to mention all the donations for the staff's pay.

2. Ro

It's rare you get a player with that much dedication and loyalty, a model professional, so much passion and a fine goalkeeper in his day.

3. David Frio

Self explanatory, I don't ever go to HP and not hear his name mentioned. A real legend who certainly carved his place in the history books.

4. Luke McCormick

Always nice to include a player who was here at the start of his career (and most likely the end). He was my childhood hero, we watched him grow from a prospect to a keeper on the verge of the top flight and he would without much doubt be a PL keeper now if it wasn't for what happened. But now he's come back he's still a great keeper. Lovely guy and loves the club.

5. Mickey Evans

Self explanatory again I think. When you looked at him you thought "you shouldn't be any good", but oh he was. Remember his last game against ipswich, scored the winning goal and the entire team piled on top of him.

6. Carl Fletcher

Probably not one many will pick, but a club legend who often isn't recognised as one due to how it all ended. A great midfielder and captain, could have jumped ship after either relegation but he was a loyal servant and went unpaid for longer than any other I believe. He wasn't a great manager but I could never doubt his passion. I wanted him out but never disliked him. Legend to me.

You have just totally avoided the question and given a list of your favourite players you have seen.

How about Bobby Moore. Would you consider him an England Legend?

Nov 14, 2010
Cornwall
Some people are on the PASOTI.....They think it's all over.....it is now! :scarf:

Tugboat":jvvr6tre said:
Legend status to an individual may differ from person to person.

I think I'm a legend.

The missus thinks I'm a ball bag.

Each to there own.

C

Cobi Budge.

No I haven't, if I gave a list of my favourite argyle players of all time only 1 of that 6 would be included, plus I've included one manager.

I've given a list of players (plus manager) I consider to be legends who've been at the club during my lifetime, and I think most would agree on at least 3 of them.

I'm sure players like Tynan are considered legends by many and yes they have left a legacy, but I've never seen them play, never cheered them on etc etc, so I don't feel the connection.

I think Sturrock, Ro, Frio, Luke, Trigger and Fletcher are all worthy of the title 'legend', that's my view and there's no right or wrong answer to the question.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Cobi Budge.":13xy7apq said:
No I haven't, if I gave a list of my favourite argyle players of all time only 1 of that 6 would be included, plus I've included one manager.

I've given a list of players (plus manager) I consider to be legends who've been at the club during my lifetime, and I think most would agree on at least 3 of them.

I'm sure players like Tynan are considered legends by many and yes they have left a legacy, but I've never seen them play, never cheered them on etc etc, so I don't feel the connection.

I think Sturrock, Ro, Frio, Luke, Trigger and Fletcher are all worthy of the title 'legend', that's my view and there's no right or wrong answer to the question.

What I am getting at is, if we give out legendary status as often as you have, the club will end up with hundreds which dilutes the significance of the title.

I originally suggested that there should be six maximum for the entire history of the club and you have used them all up with personnel of the last ten or so years and two of them seem to be because the are "nice blokes"

G

Greenskin

Lundan Cabbie":185cozcz said:
Cobi Budge.":185cozcz said:

What I am getting at is, if we give out legendary status as often as you have, the club will end up with hundreds which dilutes the significance of the title.

I originally suggested that there should be six maximum for the entire history of the club and you have used them all up with personnel of the last ten or so years and two of them seem to be because the are "nice blokes"

1.Len Jackman

2.Me

3.Peter Swan

4.Umbrella Vi

5.The lady who used to sell the pasties in the kiosk at the back of the Lyndhurst

6.Freathy

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
:lol:

Is Freathy still going?

He makes samjones seem like an optimist.

G

Greenskin

IJN":32416joz said:
:lol:

Is Freathy still going?

He makes samjones seem like an optimist.

He is. Don't think he's been posting as much in the last couple of years as he once did but definitely still around.

P

Paul_Roberts

So which Argyle 'legend' - if any - would be deserving of a statue?

Personally I'm not sure we have any qualifying modern-day candidates just yet; that kind of honour should be reserved for the man - or men - who finally take us into the promised land. But if I was to choose anyone, for me there's only one candidate: Bob Jack.

* He made almost 100 appearances for us as a player;
* He managed us for 29 years (!), that's 1,093 matches - an achievement that'll never be beaten;
* He was the man responsible for taking us into the Football League for the very first time;
* He led us to six consecutive 2nd-place finishes in the Third Division despite our fledgling League status;
* He eventually won us promotion to the Second Division, where we remained until he left in 1938;
* We finished 4th in 1931-32, scoring 100 goals, and missing out on promotion to the top flight by 5 points;
* He signed the first black player to play for Argyle in Jack Leslie - who nearly became the first black player to appear for England while on our books;
* Both of his sons played for Argyle - with one going on to play for England and win the English title and FA Cup;
* His ashes were scattered on the Home Park pitch - surely the only Argyle manager or player to request such a thing?

Bob Jack = true Argyle legend.

200px-Bob_Jack.jpg

C

Cobi Budge.

Personally I think Wotton or Luggy would be deserving of statues, just my view though. Agree Bob Jack is a very good shout though.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Paul_Roberts":2djjp2x0 said:
So which Argyle 'legend' - if any - would be deserving of a statue?

Personally I'm not sure we have any qualifying modern-day candidates just yet; that kind of honour should be reserved for the man - or men - who finally take us into the promised land. But if I was to choose anyone, for me there's only one candidate: Bob Jack.

* He made almost 100 appearances for us as a player;
* He managed us for 29 years (!), that's 1,093 matches - an achievement that'll never be beaten;
* He was the man responsible for taking us into the Football League for the very first time;
* He led us to six consecutive 2nd-place finishes in the Third Division despite our fledgling League status;
* He eventually won us promotion to the Second Division, where we remained until he left in 1938;
* We finished 4th in 1931-32, scoring 100 goals, and missing out on promotion to the top flight by 5 points;
* He signed the first black player to play for Argyle in Jack Leslie - who nearly became the first black player to appear for England while on our books;
* Both of his sons played for Argyle - with one going on to play for England and win the English title and FA Cup;
* His ashes were scattered on the Home Park pitch - surely the only Argyle manager or player to request such a thing?

Bob Jack = true Argyle legend.

200px-Bob_Jack.jpg

AT LAST!!! Someone who understands what legendary status actually means. You don't need to have been there or to have seen his teams play to understand that his achievements are truly worthy of being labeled a legend.

C

Cobi Budge.

We all know what legend means LC. Most people use the word too frequently, you seem to be far too strict with its use.

Simple question, do you not think Ro and Wotton are Argyle legends?

Apr 1, 2009
Cobi Budge.":2i91sly3 said:
We all know what legend means LC. Most people use the word too frequently, you seem to be far too strict with its use.

Simple question, do you not think Ro and Wotton are Argyle legends?

Legendary status has to stand up for decades. Ro is a modern day legend, largely due to his behaviour during the dark days, but he's not an all time legend.

Wotton will still be very high on the all time appearance list in 50 years time and certainly is a legend. How he is viewed in 50 years time may partly depend on how he does if he becomes manager. A bad managerial spell can tarnish the image a little - see Hodges, Sturrock mk 2, Mariner etc.