The Herald getting worse! | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Herald getting worse!

Sep 6, 2006
PL2 3DQ":1nrkff8d said:
It's clear the Herald is struggling, for the second year running they didn't send a reporter to cover the Holland training camp despite Argyle news being a big attraction on their website.

The clickbait stories are annoying but are a needs must, although there has been some big Argyle news within the last three hours of a Celtic striker signing for Argyle but no story in the Herald just yet. That's the type of story Argyle fans want to read, not tenuous links to Argyle in other stories.

To be fair the journos are stuck between a rock and a hard place, they need to publish regular stories, especially Argyle articles, to attract readers to the website to satisfy advertisers which brings in the money to survive and earn a living but in doing so they have to sacrifice quality.

Plymouth needs a local paper, although at the moment I'm not sure it has its tactics right.

It needs a local paper not a comic.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Stuart House":tx8aqfxn said:
Emu":tx8aqfxn said:
Stuart House":tx8aqfxn said:
Print papers will die out eventually as readership will decline beyond sustainable levels - i'm 35 and I can't remember the last time I bought a paper. Millennials I would guess even less so if at all. There is no point, information is so readily and instantaneously available online.

I would guess as the older generations literally 'die off' so will printed papers
. I would also guess that the majority of revenue these days is via online advertising - hence the continuous and unrelenting torrent of click bait stories and pop up ads.

Will people get fed up of this, yes definitely. Enough to stop clicking on it any way, probably not.

It's like when the waitress tells you the plate is hot - you know it will hurt but you just HAVE to touch it!

Charming! :lol: :lol:

Not just papers, but a lot of things I suspect. 'Rationality' seems to be another thing that will go this way .... :whistle:

Good manners!

:sad:

Jun 4, 2016
Presto":1ucs7ap8 said:
The general concensus of opinion is that it is totally inept. If it got its house in order by accurate factual reporting and produced a viable website than fine let it be. But it does not show any of these qualities and therefore does not deserve to to survive. Ultimately the resolution of the problem lies with the journalists who produce the low quality material it dishes out. Their future lies with their ability to produce a paper of reasonable quality if they cannot then why should the public be expected to support mediocrity.

This.

99% of the carp printed in that paper is completely inaccurate. Even reading it from the other side of the world I can spot their glaring errors and shoddy reporting. Photos with incorrect captions, basic grammer errors (which for professional journalists are unacceptable) etc. Errors which anyone writing the story with the slightest local knowledge would never make. It has definitely taken a nosedive over the last 2 years and I can't see it going much longer as a daily and nor does it deserve to unless they get a grip.

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
Pilgrim78":1zwekqtr said:
99% of the carp printed in that paper is completely inaccurate. Even reading it from the other side of the world I can spot their glaring errors and shoddy reporting. Photos with incorrect captions, basic grammer errors (which for professional journalists are unacceptable) etc. Errors which anyone writing the story with the slightest local knowledge would never make. It has definitely taken a nosedive over the last 2 years and I can't see it going much longer as a daily and nor does it deserve to unless they get a grip.

:whistle:

Aug 2, 2011
Biggs":2zi6bu70 said:
Presto":2zi6bu70 said:
The general concensus of opinion is that it is totally inept. If it got its house in order by accurate factual reporting and produced a viable website than fine let it be. But it does not show any of these qualities and therefore does not deserve to to survive. Ultimately the resolution of the problem lies with the journalists who produce the low quality material it dishes out. Their future lies with their ability to produce a paper of reasonable quality if they cannot then why should the public be expected to support mediocrity.

Many of us moan about the Herald's spelling errors, click bait and full page adverts but it isn't 'totally inept'. I have a strong interest in general Plymouth news, including building development, restaurant reviews, sport and upcoming events. The Herald is by far the best resource for all those things.

Many of the negatives are caused by the crushing economic realities print media face, it certainly explains the click bait and full page adverts.

The website is handled by Local World, who also provide a vast number of local newspaper websites. And it's not that bad, it would be a hell of a lot better without those full page adverts.

There is a rather nasty survival of the fittest tone to your post. I wish the Herald was better than it is, but I would never wish it to go under completely :thumbdown:

It may come as a surprise to you that football is all about survival ofthe fittest. It is why there are leagues and why those teams not good enough drop down through the leagues. The same applies to most things in life including journalism.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Presto":9mhqnnie said:
It may come as a surprise to you that football is all about survival ofthe fittest. It is why there are leagues and why those teams not good enough drop down through the leagues. The same applies to most things in life including journalism.

Clubs drop through the leagues when they don't do well, they don't (hopefully) go under completely, the fate you wished upon the Herald. In my view, that's distasteful in the extreme.

To labour that point even further, when Argyle were financially unviable and inept on the pitch, I take it you would have gladly seen us go under?

The Herald is nowhere near that stage yet, it still has its head above water and produces a lot of good stuff amidst the crap that EVERY local paper is forced to churn out nowadays.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
dick.argyle":1l4zo3y0 said:
The new web site is not much better,in fact I think it has got worse.

It's exactly the same one used by the Liverpool Echo and Manchester Evening News, so if it's good enough for them...

To keep this thread Argyle related (!) it's interesting to note there are only five main headings at the top of the page, and one of them is Argyle.

News, In Your Area, Argyle, Sport, What's On

May 8, 2011
Probably today showed how limited resources the Herald has.
Argyle held an open training session but the Herald doesn't appeared to have sent anyone to cover it as they haven't posted any of their own pictures or reported live from it.