The new (ish) Mayflower | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The new (ish) Mayflower

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Good news.

Archibald Leitch designed our grandstand and the grandstand at Everton amongst others and by coincidence Everton also carried out a refurbishment last summer, theirs was more a cosmetic update but we could learn from the refurbishment they carried out on their grandstand.

Conference facilities are big business, plenty of employers and corporate groups use conferencing for training purposes (catering is also included), at the moment hotels and golf clubs in Plymouth dominate the market so if we can have a couple of conference suites overlooking the pitch we'll make some good money.

Apr 9, 2011
TinTin said:
You are dead right Penlee !

Sandy Park has been a MAJOR success as a conference centre BUT do not forget, it is SO close to Exeter Airport !!

Plymouth will NEVER flourish in the same way as we do NOT seem to want the same, yet we are FOUR or FIVE or SIX times bigger than this little village on the River Exe ?

We will NEVER expand without a thriving airport - period !!

No doubt there !!
It also helps with it being right on the m5!!!

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
demportdave":ezgpjk0n said:
Biggs":ezgpjk0n said:
Well that sounds pretty fantastic.

I love the idea of keeping the essence of the grandstand (and that facade) while being modern and comfortable. Hopefully like Fenway Park in Boston.

If we can combine the old grandstand with the new horseshoe in an attractive way, I think we will be very lucky and in a far better situation than those clubs with soulless out of town bowls.
Been to Fenway many times. A great stadium which they have been able to modernise yet retain the old feel to the stadium and the area around it, particularly Yawkey Way.

I doubt that could be achieved at HP, although they could produce a Budget version of the old Govan Stand at Ibrox.

First off, if they are to keep the Mayflower, it would be nice if they could actually finish the original stand from 1951 and take it the full length of the pitch instead of it being 20-odd yards short at the Barn Park end.

I would think an extension would be highly desirable to give extra length! That's what my missus keeps telling me anyway!

C

Cult Of Personality

If say ginsters want to put the money up and we sell the naming rights to the stand I am all for it. I will still call it the mayflower tho

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Old Gunner":1o8o6bxh said:
TinTin":1o8o6bxh said:

Sandy Park has been a MAJOR success as a conference centre BUT do not forget, it is SO close to Exeter Airport !!

Plymouth will NEVER flourish in the same way as we do NOT seem to want the same, yet we are FOUR or FIVE or SIX times bigger than this little village on the River Exe ?

No doubt there !!

Keep the Faith :scarf:

I'm not so sure Tin Tin, I can get to Plymouth from Exeter airport in about 40 minutes by road--takes longer to get to London from Gatwick and Heathrow in my experience--even getting to Central London from City airport is a pain. I've always thought that if we don't get our own airport reopened perhaps the focus should be on improving the transport links between Exeter and Plymouth.

Exactly right.

Plymouth airport re-opening is a silly pipe dream.

We have our airport, it's at the end of our A38.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Knibbsworth":3k7z218f said:
Green_Flash":3k7z218f said:

Exeter Airport is not a business airport it is a holiday airport, it is the fact that Exeter is on the Motorway network and one hour less to get to anywhere by train that is the crucial thing.

What kind of conferences find getting to Exeter no problem, but find the next 38 miles on the dual carriageway arduous and out of the question? I don't think the distinction between what is a motorway and what isn't really affects these decisions - Exeter to Plymouth is a fast road.

I think Plymouth would excel in the conference industry. It is a great and beautiful city with plenty to do in the evenings. I'd much rather be stuck in Plymouth on a week's break from a dreary office than Coventry or Exeter.
It was only recently that I found a newspaper report about why the M5 stopped at Exeter. Apparently it was because there was no way of finding a suitable track for the new motorway and to provide an alternative route for the traffic/drivers prohibited from motorway travel.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Looking at the posts on here (and with virtually no knowledge of construction), I am not clear on a couple of things.

First, people are suggesting that the facade of the Grandstand could be maintained but also suggesting the stand be extended to the length of the pitch. Is this feasible?

Secondly, isn't there asbestos in the structure? Wouldn't this mean some parts would have to be totally removed? Surely given its age a lot of the structure needs to be replaced by more modern materials?

Anyone able to post some shots of the Fenway stadium to help with visualisation of what may be possible.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
phil-thefluter24":1xreuo8i said:
TinTin":1xreuo8i said:

No doubt there !!
It also helps with it being right on the m5!!!

I think Tin Tin is putting about some Sino-hyperbole as Exeter's population is circa 125K, with the best will in the world Plymouth's population does not touch 625K or even 500K. I am just pleased that Newquay has an airport with a population of 20K and growing numbers in usage.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
fenway-park-tour-15.jpg

7684322388_f505e31b44_b.jpg

fenway-park.jpg

I cannot see any resemblance to HP

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
cheshiregreen":3e5l52n6 said:
Looking at the posts on here (and with virtually no knowledge of construction), I am not clear on a couple of things.

First, people are suggesting that the facade of the Grandstand could be maintained but also suggesting the stand be extended to the length of the pitch. Is this feasible?

Secondly, isn't there asbestos in the structure? Wouldn't this mean some parts would have to be totally removed? Surely given its age a lot of the structure needs to be replaced by more modern materials?

Anyone able to post some shots of the Fenway stadium to help with visualisation of what may be possible.
The grandstand has already been lengthened twice since it was built, once nearest the Barn Park not too long after it was built and again during the summer of 1959 when the end nearest the Devonport was added. I would hope modern engineering would be able to extend it again.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
memory man":1z358btk said:
cheshiregreen":1z358btk said:

The grandstand has already been lengthened twice since it was built, once nearest the Barn Park not too long after it was built and again during the summer of 1959 when the end nearest the Devonport was added. I would hope modern engineering would be able to extend it again.

Thanks I didn't know that.

Thanks to OG for uploading the pictures.