The new (ish) Mayflower | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The new (ish) Mayflower

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Ottawa, it's irrelevant whether there's an actual resemblance between Home Park and Fenway... though the pictures you posted are predominantly green so that's one idea right there.

The point is that Fenway Park was old and crumbling, and it was renovated to look very, very smart while keeping the essence of the old ground.

This is a good slideshow of how things looked before and after... http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/ ... es.html#i1 (click on the image)

Clearly most of that is unrealistic as we don't have John W Henry's $200m, but there are some good ideas to draw from. And as it's New England and we're building towards 2020, it seems an appropriate place to look to.

Feb 28, 2010
Mannamead
Think this could be fantastic..... if delivered?!!
would be the envy of many true football fans nationwide to fully refurb a classic old stand.

Totally agree, this is a great opportunity for safe standing, and would do wonders for the atmosphere. In turn , give us a decent capacity, should we ever do the unthinkable and reach the premier league.
Agree also, it needs to run the whole length of the pitch.

Definitely needs to incorporate conferencing as this is such an obvious non match day earner and is so badly needed by the city.

Surprised Waitrose have either not considered or been offered the car park site for the site of a plymouth store, central Plymouth location, with good access roads and again would be worth alot in property value to PAFC

Aug 7, 2005
Paignton
Love this idea. If done right it would be great to maintain some of the character. Can't wait to see some plans and hope they are deliverable this time

May 16, 2016
keepthefaith70":2ubwz5mr said:
Think this could be fantastic..... if delivered?!!
would be the envy of many true football fans nationwide to fully refurb a classic old stand.

Totally agree, this is a great opportunity for safe standing, and would do wonders for the atmosphere. In turn , give us a decent capacity, should we ever do the unthinkable and reach the premier league.
Agree also, it needs to run the whole length of the pitch.

Definitely needs to incorporate conferencing as this is such an obvious non match day earner and is so badly needed by the city.

Surprised Waitrose have either not considered or been offered the car park site for the site of a plymouth store, central Plymouth location, with good access roads and again would be worth alot in property value to PAFC

I thought Waitrose were going to be building something on the old RM Barracks area in Crownhill. Not that a supermarket in Central Parkis a good idea.

Aug 12, 2010
South Wales
On the face of it this is good news. It looks such a mess at the moment.

My guess is the terrace would be bulldozed away and replaced with something a little shorter to allow steep profile seating that can be more easily covered with a new roof. Might look a little quirky if they did that though.

Conferencing / hospitality bolted on to the gap at the barn pk side and the devonport corner.
Or maybe both corners and the stand lengthened, this would be preferable.

I am also guessing the financing source is going to be a loan from the Council's strategic reserve again.
Good for both the council and the club in terms of interest rate available, but could eat up all of the income from extra facilities. Will definitely increase our debt significantly, but there is no way to progress without investment.

When / if we get this sorted its time to sort out quality training facilities, gym, indoor pitch, and so forth. That is what will really take us forward.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I feel more confident about this being delivered in the present climate despite all the let downs in the past and I await the plans with great anticipation. It would be great to incorporate the two empty corners and extend the old stand further towards the Barn Park End as well. It will be a relief to see the desolate Mayflower terrace occupied again under a refurbished main stand even if it is with a cheap option of bolted down seats like we once rented in the CCC, but hopefully it will be better than that.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
memory man":16oxt70o said:
Ottawa Green":16oxt70o said:
fenway-park-tour-15.jpg

7684322388_f505e31b44_b.jpg

fenway-park.jpg

I cannot see any resemblance to HP
It is mainly green!!!!

And the TV gantry looks the same design !

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
Quintrell_Green":2qoei0kz said:
memory man":2qoei0kz said:
Ottawa Green":2qoei0kz said:
fenway-park-tour-15.jpg

7684322388_f505e31b44_b.jpg

fenway-park.jpg

I cannot see any resemblance to HP
It is mainly green!!!!

And the TV gantry looks the same design !

And minimal disruption if the majority can be precast/fabricated elsewhere, also minimal earthworks.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
When it became clear the previous regime couldn't develop the grandstand former director Phill Gill had a plan to develop the corner between the grandstand and the Devonport End.

"When it was clear that the south stand redevelopment was going to be difficult to fund, I produced along with Michael Dunford (who incidentally, has been a massive loss to the club), a scheme and a business plan for a scaled down redevelopment of the south-west corner (Mayflower to Devonport end) that would have been affordable and by now producing decent revenue.
Unfortunately by this time the lure of the yen had proved too strong for some and the idea never got off the drawing board."

Aug 5, 2016
What part of the Mayflower is worth preserving?

I'm all for history and tradition, but there is not much of it I'd miss if it was flattened. The actual stand is barely fit for purpose.

The good news is this refurb plan is a lot more deliverable than developing the infrastructure of a small city with a dentist, cinema, hotel, ice rink, shops, bar, gymnasium, restaurants etc.

Hopefully simple and affordable, and good for the club.

Dec 3, 2005
This sounds like the exact thing I have mentioned many a time on PASOTI.

Keep the old Grandstand - refurbish it (Everton and Rangers have the same type of Grandstand and they have obviously refurbished), continue with the 'horse-shoe', filling in the corners and joining onto the end of the Grandstand. Either put seats onto the Mayflower or have this 'safe standing' installed. Build on the back of the Grandstand the new dressing rooms - and whatever else is needed - there is plenty of room. Demoilish the 'old' toilets that are outside.

We will have a great stadium and it will have some character, unlike most 'new' grounds.

Aug 13, 2006
Cornwall
Sounds promising and I like the idea. At least it seems we would keep the 20k potential capacity. A mini stand would have resulted in a small capacity. Look forward to seeing more details.