The new (ish) Mayflower | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The new (ish) Mayflower

Jul 29, 2010
The Duke":3ta250ix said:
Sounds promising and I like the idea. At least it seems we would keep the 20k potential capacity. A mini stand would have resulted in a small capacity. Look forward to seeing more details.
That's where the Devil will be. I'm more hopeful of a 20k capacity in a refurb., but only if the corners are filled in, something that will be key to this project leaving us with a proper end product and not a fudge.

If they want to increase floorspace for conferencing, bars and non matchday income then, for me, they're gonna have to clear all the offices, changing rooms and administrative rooms out from the ground floor and put them somewhere else. Logically that would be below these 'filled in corners'.

The old lady is sturdy but it's 19th century style of construction means nowhere is there a vast amount of 'open plan' footprint beneath her. Refurbishment will clearly make savings in demolition and groundworks, but without innovative use of space and the relocation of the 'guts' of club operations we're not going to get a very big conferencing facility under there.

My thoughts would be to bolt on two sympathetic 'corners' one incorporating the office and admin needs, the other incorporating the changing rooms, refs rooms, physio, gym etc. Basically one for non football operations, one for football operations. It'd mean the tunnel being in a corner but that's commonplace elsewhere and would leave the whole footprint of the existing stand (maybe more if they extended the ground floor back into the car park a bit) for non matchday revenue opportunities.

Like I say, the devil will be in the details, but there is scope in this venture to get increased capacity AND vital revenue streams.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Sounds like a big fudge to me. The Mayflower isn't worth saving and isn't fit for purpose.
Far better to bull doze it and start a fresh with a new build than trying to accommodate some old relic for prosperity.

Not like Argo to do something on the cheapo

Jul 29, 2010
samjones":1eou0fdv said:
Sounds like a big fudge to me. The Mayflower isn't worth saving and isn't fit for purpose.
Far better to bull doze it and start a fresh with a new build than trying to accommodate some old relic for prosperity.
Maybe not prosperity, but there's something in keeping the essence of the grandstand for posterity :wink:

Done right it COULD provide everything we need without a costly demolition and groundworks bill.

Given you'd like funds spent on the team, i'm surprised to see you'd rather see money spent on piling and cantilevers.

Done wrong however and it could resemble a fudge. I won't however call something a fudge until it is a fudge. I look forward to seeing some plans and capacity figures.

Oct 6, 2005
Winchester
Knibbsworth":1skv0ika said:
What part of the Mayflower is worth preserving?

I'm all for history and tradition, but there is not much of it I'd miss if it was flattened. The actual stand is barely fit for purpose.

The good news is this refurb plan is a lot more deliverable than developing the infrastructure of a small city with a dentist, cinema, hotel, ice rink, shops, bar, gymnasium, restaurants etc.

Hopefully simple and affordable, and good for the club.

For a start the turnstiles at the front. They were paid for and built by the fans. That means our grandparents and great grandparents, that's worth preserving at all costs in my eyes.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
samjones":3g3bjxby said:

Disagree, I think the Mayflower is absolutely worth saving as a classic example of Leitchian stadium architecture. Much like the Civic Centre, I think in years to come it will be appreciated much more.

If done correctly, I can see fans of clubs with new stands and stadiums being very, very jealous that we still have the tradition and history of a classic Grandstand.

Example... Do you think Arsenal fans would prefer to watch football at the Emirates or Highbury? Likewise Cardiff fans with Ninian Park or the Cardiff City Stadium? We could have the best of both worlds.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Biggs":3kr6ysfu said:
samjones":3kr6ysfu said:

Disagree, I think the Mayflower is absolutely worth saving as a classic example of Leitchian stadium architecture. Much like the Civic Centre, I think in years to come it will be appreciated much more.

If done correctly, I can see fans of clubs with new stands and stadiums being very, very jealous that we still have the tradition and history of a classic Grandstand.

Example... Do you think Arsenal fans would prefer to watch football at the Emirates or Highbury? Likewise Cardiff fans with Ninian Park or the Cardiff City Stadium? We could have the best of both worlds.

Highbury every time--I can still remember every corner of it, the roar of the crowd as the game started, the smell of fags burgers and onions, the programme sellers--as for the the Emirates--meh.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Old Gunner":2kdk7zv0 said:
Biggs":2kdk7zv0 said:
samjones":2kdk7zv0 said:

Highbury every time--I can still remember every corner of it, the roar of the crowd as the game started, the smell of fags burgers and onions, the programme sellers--as for the the Emirates--meh.

Arsenal fans?? Roar??

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Old Gunner":3ray3598 said:
Biggs":3ray3598 said:
samjones":3ray3598 said:

Exactly.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Biggs":rxrk0t8g said:
Old Gunner":rxrk0t8g said:
Biggs":rxrk0t8g said:
samjones":rxrk0t8g said:

Exactly.

Aaaah .. the smell of the programme sellers!! Takes you back don't it!!

My 'earlyish' memories of Arsenal are a perfectly wide walkable road outside the tube, crowded with pedestrians but passable .. apart from 4 wacking gurt police horses walking abreast so that you could not get past, either throw yourself into a front garden or under their hooves!! :shock:

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Pogleswoody":158wlwtv said:
Biggs":158wlwtv said:
Old Gunner":158wlwtv said:
Biggs":158wlwtv said:
samjones":158wlwtv said:

Exactly.

Aaaah .. the smell of the programme sellers!! Takes you back don't it!!

My 'earlyish' memories of Arsenal are a perfectly wide walkable road outside the tube, crowded with pedestrians but passable .. apart from 4 wacking gurt police horses walking abreast so that you could not get past, either throw yourself into a front garden or under their hooves!! :shock:
They were a bit ripe! Must watch my punctuation:) and yes the Arsenal crowd could make a hell of a noise in the 60s and 70s, but it was a very different sort of crowd then.

Mar 21, 2008
Just seen the latest herald article with Hallett and he comes across as someone that really wants to get things done rather than 'constantly play defence'

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/simon-h ... story.html

Hallett and Brent, who rescued the Pilgrims out of administration in 2011, do not always agree on issues.

"I think we have got a great relationship. We are very open with each other.

"We are very prepared to say 'No, I think you are wrong'.

Hallett said: "I think James would realise that having John and me involved has helped open their eyes a little bit to some of the good things at the club that we need to invest in and take forward, as opposed to constantly playing defence.

Only my interpretation of course and it could relate to a number of things, although that reads to me as a reference to years of Brent brushing off media and questions about the grandstand defensively without ever getting anywhere, and now he's here suddenly things seem to be happening, I wonder if Hallett hadn't arrived whether the latest planned 'refurb' would even have been considered