The No 9 we need.... (merged) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The No 9 we need.... (merged)

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
Argy1e":2zf94w8x said:
Qoo3939L":2zf94w8x said:
briangreen":2zf94w8x said:
I think we had a nippy goal poacher in louis rooney, but once again let a good player go.

Hartlepool were quick to snap him up then?????
Ho no they didn't bother.
As of at this moment no-ones bothered to snap him up
He really is that good NOT
Hartlepool have had a change of manager with a lot of staff changing too. Even though he didn't get much game time I think they would still have signed him if Jones wasn't sacked. He's still young and he was scoring in all of their reserve games. The fans liked him too, they wanted to see more of him. He's not that good, but he could be a good asset to a League Two club this season. I wouldn't want him as one of our choices anymore though.

What I heard from inside the club was that he wasn't that much cop. But that game where he got his two goals he looked a world beater

Jul 2, 2014
Might look at some of the youth strikers at top clubs who would benefit from a season long loan.:

Ike Ugbo (Chelsea) - rumored to be being loaned to Millwall
Martell Taylor-Crossdale (Chelsea)
Rhian Brewster (Liverpool)
Taino Awoniyi (Liverpool) - rumored to be loaned to Kalmar FF in Sweden
Toni Gomes (Liverpool)
Nishan Burkart (Man U)

There are many more in this category and it can be a huge step up from youth anywhere to serious adult football. However, this type of player can bring fantastic speed and potential at a low cost. We all remember Scott Sinclair's loan (he was 18 at the time).

This approach with an immature player can be a risk, and be a complete bust, and probably out of character for Derek Adams, but . . .

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
just looked at his clubs and two loan moves whilst still in scotland were fantastically fruitful.22 games and 19 goals for alloa and 33 games and 25 goals for hamilton. :shocked: i have said many times scottish football is a joke,because it is,but he knows where the goal is.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Aberdeen have made an offer for May, but Preston want a manager in place before they sell him. Think he'd probably choose Aberdeen over us.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
briangreen":3olau210 said:
I think we had a nippy goal poacher in louis rooney, but once again let a good player go.
Sorry, but he was barely up to bottom of league 2 standard and will probably find his level one or two divisions below that. Why would we wantvhim for a league 1 campaign? I am intrigued to know who these others are we have let go who have proved the club wrong as I struggle to think of any, one or two at a push perhaps in 52 years following Argyle.

Sep 23, 2014
plymouth
If Mr Adams is going to play two up front I don't care who it is, another season of one up front would be a nightmare, although looking at the attack minded signings he has made our look could be in.

Tynan One Nil

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
The only nippy striker I see, is one coming on with 20 mins to go. Hope I am wrong, but can't see us starting with one, wearing No 9 or not.
That said we have just got promoted so certainly not complaining, just an opinion.

Jul 29, 2012
DA clearly realises you can't play the same in league 1 . He has already said I league 1 teams play more football and are less direct .The players we've signed appear to have more footballing ability but we need someone to play off the front man .

Sep 6, 2006
briangreen":1izju6kw said:

:lol:
Yes a player not good enough to get in Hartlepool's team!

Feb 2, 2007
How old is the menace of Akinfenwa?

Anyway, Lambert in his pomp reminded me of Dean Ashton, who once gave one of the best all round centre forward performances I have ever seen for Norwich at Home Park. Pretty sure he ripped us up when at Crewe too. Not sure how effective Lambert would be now, very hard to judge but 35, with modern fitness regimes needn't be a barrier.

Jan 3, 2013
nick_PASTIE":1k75zl41 said:

Anyway, Lambert in his pomp reminded me of Dean Ashton, who once gave one of the best all round centre forward performances I have ever seen for Norwich at Home Park. Pretty sure he ripped us up when at Crewe too. Not sure how effective Lambert would be now, very hard to judge but 35, with modern fitness regimes needn't be a barrier.

He certainly did, he was about 17 and destroyed wotton.....we lost 3-0 at home I believe

Feb 2, 2007
Knarf Reprah":1nyonqn8 said:
nick_PASTIE":1nyonqn8 said:

He certainly did, he was about 17 and destroyed wotton.....we lost 3-0 at home I believe

That's it Frank, thanks! One of those occasions you just had to admire the quality of the opposition. My concern with Lambert would be on the impact on Taylor, who I rate very highly and Blissett, who started to show some glimmers against Wycombe away and Crewe particularly. Competition is one thing but I would imagine any deal for Lambert would almost guarantee him game time.

Edit: just checked it was 1-3 and Stonebridge got a rare goal. The game I was thinking for Norwich was his last game for them and he didn't score, Darren "deep-C" Huckerby did. He also scored a 90th min winner for West Ham in League Cup against Argyle and knocked 2 in against a Jocky Scott managed Argyle at Carrow Road!

Back to Lambert- he helped Saints take us apart with 2 goals at Home Park at the back end of 2011 (think they were securing promo)- same season he didn't play when we some how won the opening game at St Mary's 1-0 with a Luke Summerfield strike! Only record of Lambert playing Argyle, from what I can see.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Derek Adams's game plan is to play with one up front,and that applies whether we are home or away.It works away as our record showed ,but at home it was a disaster as we lost 8 home games,and in a lot of games we barely had a shot at goal.A goal poacher would be nice but it doesn't fit in with Adam's style,unless he will be changing things next season.

L

Les Latcham

Yeap, I would take another disappointing season like last season!