The No 9 we need.... (merged) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The No 9 we need.... (merged)

Jul 29, 2010
Without pouring through the records Nick I would be surprised if he hadn't come up against us in his 'talented but overweight and unfocused lower league phase' prior to the penny dropping at Southampton.

Macclesfield, Stockport, Rochdale and Rovers?, he must have.

May 8, 2011
oddball":35b6rqph said:
Derek Adams's game plan is to play with one up front,and that applies whether we are home or away.It works away as our record showed ,but at home it was a disaster as we lost 8 home games,and in a lot of games we barely had a shot at goal.A goal poacher would be nice but it doesn't fit in with Adam's style,unless he will be changing things next season.

We lost 7 home games last year not 8. Our points total of 42 included 13 wins and 3 draws was the 5th best home record in 20 years, hardly a disaster.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
lo
HC Green":3onmqhzw said:
oddball":3onmqhzw said:
Derek Adams's game plan is to play with one up front,and that applies whether we are home or away.It works away as our record showed ,but at home it was a disaster as we lost 8 home games,and in a lot of games we barely had a shot at goal.A goal poacher would be nice but it doesn't fit in with Adam's style,unless he will be changing things next season.[/quote

We lost 7 home games last year not 8. Our points total of 42 included 13 wins and 3 draws was the 5th best home record in 20 years, hardly a disaster.

I'm including the FA Cup defeat.......Wouldn't have come anywhere near getting promoted on that home record. Makes a mockery also of the fortress Argyle slogan which you don't kind of hear much about today...mainly because Home Park has become a sweetshop not a fortresss.

Feb 2, 2007
X Isle":332v9kod said:
Without pouring through the records Nick I would be surprised if he hadn't come up against us in his 'talented but overweight and unfocused lower league phase' prior to the penny dropping at Southampton.

I ain't trawling but gut tells me he didn't- we were simply "too good" for Rickie back then. Amazing to think he joined Soton in L1 and we beat them in our admin season live on Sky on opening day.

Seems a world away but only yesterday in many ways.

Then he played for England. Should have been Bradley Wright-Phillips :funny:

Edit: ok I trawled whilst recalling the National at Glasto- amazing set btw- Stockport 0 Argyle 2, 2004. Hasney and Cocko kept him quiet!

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
Don't see any reason to sign Lambert when we already have a first choice target man in Taylor, and a 20 minute impact striker when you need to go long and try to grab something. It would be good to think that we are looking to bring in a quick-witted poacher, with a track record of goals in League 1. Someone like Cody McDonald would have been great, but he's gone from Gillingham to AFC Wimbledon.

Dec 22, 2010
north devon
I know hes not our No 9, but how far from the first team would Fletcher be as Ive only seen him make one sub app. Has he got pace and how big is he and what are his strengths ?

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
X Isle":2jwzqymg said:

He still had a fantastic record before joining Southampton and was widely considered one of the best strikers in the lower leagues.

Lambert played against us in January 2004 away at Stockport where we won 2-0. The only other time he's faced us was with Southampton in their 3-1 win to virtually send them up and send us down.

Jul 6, 2011
Qoo3939L":2uayafup said:
briangreen":2uayafup said:
I think we had a nippy goal poacher in louis rooney, but once again let a good player go.

Hartlepool were quick to snap him up then?????
Ho no they didn't bother.
As of at this moment no-ones bothered to snap him up
He really is that good NOT

You're obviously not up on what was the manager situation at hartlepool. They changed manager just a few games after Rooney arrived. Those first few games he was involved in he had good reviews and then the new manager arrived, he was dumped on the bench and hardly played right through to the end of the season.
Rooneys only mistake was not seeing the gravity of his situation there and asking to go somewhere else, but that can be put down to inexperience.
If anyone sees Rooney as talentless then they haven't seen him play.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
briangreen":2qbruj9w said:
Qoo3939L":2qbruj9w said:
briangreen":2qbruj9w said:
I think we had a nippy goal poacher in louis rooney, but once again let a good player go.

You're obviously not up on what was the manager situation at hartlepool. They changed manager just a few games after Rooney arrived. Those first few games he was involved in he had good reviews and then the new manager arrived, he was dumped on the bench and hardly played right through to the end of the season.
Rooneys only mistake was not seeing the gravity of his situation there and asking to go somewhere else, but that can be put down to inexperience.
That's slightly off. Jones was appointed in January and signed Rooney. He was sacked with two games to go.

Aug 5, 2016
RKB":vbloy0y9 said:
Don't see any reason to sign Lambert when we already have a first choice target man in Taylor, and a 20 minute impact striker when you need to go long and try to grab something. It would be good to think that we are looking to bring in a quick-witted poacher, with a track record of goals in League 1. Someone like Cody McDonald would have been great, but he's gone from Gillingham to AFC Wimbledon.

Well we've lost Spencer, Garita and Brunt and haven't really replaced them.

An injury to Ryan Taylor and things won't be looking so swell.

I'm sure DA will be looking at two new strikers, at least one a physical target man.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Clem":7i3xl2yu said:
I know hes not our No 9, but how far from the first team would Fletcher be as Ive only seen him make one sub app. Has he got pace and how big is he and what are his strengths ?
he is an excellent player clem with a clinical finish.however,he isn't very tall.i would have no hesitation in playing him in some matches this season and i expect he will play.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
We can speculate as much as we like about the type of striker needed for next season, but all will be revealed in the passage of time. I don't think a Monday will be the day of the week, immediately after the weekend, when it will be announced.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Adams said last week there are two more players to come in but he didn't say whether they were permanent signings or loans.

If you include Ryan Brunt we released nine first team players at the end of last season and three loan players (Garita, Kennedy and Tanner) returned to their clubs so in total we have lost 12 players or 13 when it's confirmed McCallum isn't staying.

So it could be two more permanent signings plus three loan players which will allow Adams to sign two strikers, another keeper, a central midfielder and one other position.
I think the two permanent signings will come from the trialist pool during pre-season games and loan players will arrive when their parent club finalise their squads just before the season starts.

Jul 6, 2011
Argy1e":rjo237a5 said:
briangreen":rjo237a5 said:
Qoo3939L":rjo237a5 said:
briangreen":rjo237a5 said:

That's slightly off. Jones was appointed in January and signed Rooney. He was sacked with two games to go.

Jones left in january and a caretaker manager took over, at that point Rooney was dropped and in May the current manager was appointed.

I

I'mArgyleinDubai

Although Taylor will probably start the season as first choice, I think we'll see a lot more of Blisset this year and I expect him to have a big impact.

With the system we play, and the investment we've made in keeping Carey I think we only need one more option up front to offer something different.

In an ideal world, we could pick up a pacy, 'busy' striker to play off the last man, similar in style to Jamie Mackie.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a player unknown to most of us, stepping up a league or two, or a younger player on loan who would be happy to be used as an impact player or as a starter in certain games if DA wants to start with two up front to keep teams guessing.