The No 9 we need.... (merged) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The No 9 we need.... (merged)

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
briangreen":1ek50a34 said:
Argy1e":1ek50a34 said:
Qoo3939L":1ek50a34 said:
I think we had a nippy goal poacher in louis rooney, but once again let a good player go.

Hartlepool were quick to snap him up then?????
Ho no they didn't bother.
As of at this moment no-ones bothered to snap him up
He really is that good NOT

You're obviously not up on what was the manager situation at hartlepool. They changed manager just a few games after Rooney arrived. Those first few games he was involved in he had good reviews and then the new manager arrived, he was dumped on the bench and hardly played right through to the end of the season.
Rooneys only mistake was not seeing the gravity of his situation there and asking to go somewhere else, but that can be put down to inexperience.
If anyone sees Rooney as talentless then they haven't seen him play.
That's slightly off. Jones was appointed in January and signed Rooney. He was sacked with two games to go.

Jones left in january and a caretaker manager took over, at that point Rooney was dropped and in May the current manager was appointed.
Hignett was sacked in January. Jones was appointed in January. Jones signed Rooney on deadline day. Jones was sacked in April when a caretaker manager took over for the last couple of games.

Just to add to the thoughts on lambert, my worry would be his motivation. In my working days my biggest recruitment mistakes were over-qualified, over-competent folk who made all the right noises about why they could work in a lesser role, but after some months were clearly bored, unfulfilled and lacking in drive.

Why should a player who once thrived at the highest level, presumably has stashed a few bob, and used to playing in front of huge adrenalin inducing crowds, produce the form to win for Argyle?

Sep 25, 2010
Please please please not Lambert

Seems a retrograde step, we have two target men already in Taylor and Blissett.

Jul 6, 2011
Argy1e":30dqn6l6 said:
briangreen":30dqn6l6 said:
Argy1e":30dqn6l6 said:
Qoo3939L":30dqn6l6 said:
I think we had a nippy goal poacher in louis rooney, but once again let a good player go.

Hartlepool were quick to snap him up then?????
Ho no they didn't bother.
As of at this moment no-ones bothered to snap him up
He really is that good NOT

You're obviously not up on what was the manager situation at hartlepool. They changed manager just a few games after Rooney arrived. Those first few games he was involved in he had good reviews and then the new manager arrived, he was dumped on the bench and hardly played right through to the end of the season.
Rooneys only mistake was not seeing the gravity of his situation there and asking to go somewhere else, but that can be put down to inexperience.
If anyone sees Rooney as talentless then they haven't seen him play.
That's slightly off. Jones was appointed in January and signed Rooney. He was sacked with two games to go.

Jones left in january and a caretaker manager took over, at that point Rooney was dropped and in May the current manager was appointed.
Hignett was sacked in January. Jones was appointed in January. Jones signed Rooney on deadline day. Jones was sacked in April when a caretaker manager took over for the last couple of games.

Hartlepool had so many managers and caretakers in the last 6 months it's hard to keep up. I think sam collins was in there somewhere aswell, but suffice to say that Rooney wasn't given an honest opportunity.

Jul 21, 2016
As we've now got Wylde, Ainsworth, Grant and lameiras maybe jervis could be in for a change of role?

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Richard Allan":1bojlaw0 said:
Louis Moult, must be well known to our management team, perhaps too similar to what we have l, but a good no9

Didn't he, or his brother, join Argyle as an apprentice at Argyle years ago from Stoke? Or am I muddling him up with someone else?

Edited to add: I've answered ny own question - it was his brother.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Aaron D.":2oqknfvw said:
Benji85":2oqknfvw said:
As we've now got Wylde, Ainsworth, Grant and lameiras maybe jervis could be in for a change of role?

This. Obviously he wouldn't be number 9, but Ive wanted to see Jervis in a front 2 for a while. It's an option....

I raised the same question last week Aaron. Would like to see him give a chance up there. He has pace and likes running at people.

Adam_R":1tkufvib said:
Aaron D.":1tkufvib said:
Benji85":1tkufvib said:

This. Obviously he wouldn't be number 9, but Ive wanted to see Jervis in a front 2 for a while. It's an option....

I raised the same question last week Aaron. Would like to see him give a chance up there. He has pace and likes running at people.

Maybe we'll see a new formation from DA where this can happen but I doubt it.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
As someone who rarely is able to see the team play is it beyond the realms of possibility that Jervis could at some stage become a rampaging right back like Gordon Nisbet or Paul Connolly?

jerryatricjanner":2kb6r2e4 said:
As someone who rarely is able to see the team play is it beyond the realms of possibility that Jervis could at some stage become a rampaging right back like Gordon Nisbet or Paul Connolly?

Definitely not. In order to be a rampaging right back you've got to be a defender first and foremost. Jervis isn't. He puts in a shift, granted, but he's not a defender.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I can't disagree as I have only seen him play on a handful of occasions but thinking back over the years a good many players who started life as wingers successfully made such a change, some going on to play international football in their new role.

jerryatricjanner":197oxpns said:
I can't disagree as I have only seen him play on a handful of occasions but thinking back over the years a good many players who started life as wingers successfully made such a change, some going on to play international football in their new role.

Can't see this happening with Jervis though.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Jervis is a dream for any RB to play behind, gets back and helps out so much, doesn't stop the bloke near me screaming "Jake stop being lazy" every chance he gets though.

Our most underrated player.