The Old Half Time Smoke Thread | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Old Half Time Smoke Thread

Jul 29, 2010
An obvious response for equality sake would therefore be to stop it for everyone Loyal.

Ultimately, why cater for a dying breed anyway?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Several fans vape at half time in the concourse at Home Park and because of the lack of ventilation it does cause a problem with the smoke and smell.

I've been to several stadiums where they let smokers outside at half time, for us non-vapers/smokers I hope this happens at Home Park.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Presto":2muohm4o said:
I do not think fully appreciate how their clothes etc smells. If you do not smoke it is really unpleasant. Of course I am a sensitive soul - must be I have been going to HP since 1958 in those day you needed scissors to cut you way into the smoke in the buses.
Someone wrote to me when I was gathering info for my book on the 1958-59 season. I have just looked out the letter now. Part of the letter read: "You asked in the Herald what we recall from the 1958-59. Apart from Johnny Williams' shooting and Wilf Carter's goals the main memory I have is that pungent smell on the football special that used to run after every game - a curious mixture of stale tobacco clinging to wet gaberdine." I knew what he meant immediately! Talking of half time fags, I once asked Wilf Carter why he chose to leave West Brom in 1957 when he had been offered a contract. "To tell you the truth", he said, "one of the main reasons was that Vic Buckingham had outlawed the half time fag. My mate Jimmy Dugdale left for the Villa the season before, for the same reason!"

Aug 2, 2011
Good memories. (Except the smoke). Kirby, Williams, Newman, Carter Mcanearney, Robertson and of course McClaren. Happy childhood days.

Sep 28, 2003
London
PL2 3DQ":o35fzema said:
Several fans vape at half time in the concourse at Home Park and because of the lack of ventilation it does cause a problem with the smoke and smell.

I've been to several stadiums where they let smokers outside at half time, for us non-vapers/smokers I hope this happens at Home Park.

We'd end up with an area covered in fag ends, as smokers for some reason think littering is OK.

Personally I feel it's a foul habit and I'm delighted Argyle don't do anything to support it :wave:

N

NorfolkGreen

This is a difficult one to see the perspective of a smoker, I am a huge anti smoker, so will try t be balanced.

The game is an hour and a half, with a little bit of time at the start and end, so say 2 hours, is it that much of a problem to wait until the end of the game? I'm not criticising just asking if that is the physical effect of the addiction.

I agree the smell of smoke is appalling and asa customer it does deter me from locations if it I see going to impact upon me, not that I am suggesting at will be the same for others.

Having said that if smokers do need to have a cigarette, then I don't see why they can't be allowed to go to a separate, out of the way location to have a cigarette, which is safe, contained and has appropriate disposal arrangements, but I would find the clinging smell of smoke off putting if they were near to me.

As a big non smoker, I would prefer no smoking at all until after the game, but I don't smoke so can't vouch for the smokers needs.

Jun 4, 2016
It's not so much a "need" as much as it is just quite nice to go out and have a smoke and a chat at half time.

Aug 3, 2017
I have an addiction to chocolate and women. Does that mean the club should provide me with a pool of molten chocolate and two bikini clad girls to wrestle? No. I can curb my addiction for the sake of 2-3 hours because I'm a big boy.

Jun 22, 2008
Taunton
Isondil":v0g187p0 said:
I have an addiction to chocolate and women. Does that mean the club should provide me with a pool of molten chocolate and two bikini clad girls to wrestle? No. I can curb my addiction for the sake of 2-3 hours because I'm a big boy.

The last few words was just a bit too much information for my liking.

Stevie Wotsa

✅ Evergreen
Nov 4, 2012
Devonport
Guiri Green":3dnwklc2 said:
There's enough moaning about how much beer / tea / grub is available at half time. Imagine the stewards having problems trying to get the last of the tabbers in before the second half starts so they can get to their 'positions' for the rest of the game. It must be about 2 quid a ciggie by now. Nobody would put that out before it's ready !

Who'll sweep up the dog ends ?

Opening the gates at half time might let people sneak out and avoid the Second Half - make then watch like the rest of us I say.

You make it sound like watching and supporting argyle sound like a chore :facepalm:

Jan 1, 2006
Plymouth
Sometimes cant make my mind up on here as to if people are setting the wind up or are just high and mighty.......as far as I am aware smoking is not illegal albeit it is in some public places......my point is simply that if I go to the pub, restaurant, cinema, or indeed most other sporting events during a break in play as I am a free man I am at will to exit the venue and then re enter. At Argyle I am prevented from doing this and have been told on several occasions it is due to the health and safety officer that controls Argyle and stadia regulations which is either clearly total rubbish or many other clubs are ignoring the rules. I am not concerned about peoples views on smokers.....i dont like garlic but sometimes I have to sit next to someone that has been eating it.
People pay good money to support the club and I do know of several people that have issue with not being able to have a fag (it has been stressful at our club lol) If Argyle do not want to allow their customers to smoke in or around the ground then they should come out and say this (it is their house) but I doubt they will all you get is regulations etc.
Very poor matchday experience in my opinion and I wish the club would tell us exactly why this happens.

Jan 20, 2005
Plymouth, Devon
Suppose us 'FanFesters' who smoke are lucky in the regard that we can go out at HT for a fag and a pint in the tent (or a vodka n coke in my instance!).

Does seem odd that other clubs, with bigger attendances, can manage to do this.

When I went Grimsby away, you were allowed to smoke underneath the stand!

Sep 28, 2003
London
Knarf Reprah":25zy55tu said:
Spot on Miles.........however the professional " I'm offended" snowflakes will gang up on us.

I'm not offended in the slightest, just delighted Argyle don't support your disgusting habit, you should be thanking them.