The Old Half Time Smoke Thread | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Old Half Time Smoke Thread

Jun 4, 2016
Balham_Green":3hqul4e3 said:
Dont smoke for 2 hours. Sure its not that difficult. Would extend your life expectancy! What annoys me is all those folk who stand outside(e.g. pubs) and you have to walk though a fog of smoke to get inside! On second thoughts keeps smoking. You may be killing yourself but at least loads of money for the tax man.

Are you for real?

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Presto":229ojr29 said:
I do not think fully appreciate how their clothes etc smells. If you do not smoke it is really unpleasant. Of course I am a sensitive soul - must be I have been going to HP since 1958 in those day you needed scissors to cut you way into the smoke in the buses.
You have a pm

Feb 28, 2016
Presto, I acknowledge my cloths, hair etc stink enough to know it can make some non smokers feel ill, although can't smell it on other smokers.

Flip side of your coin is if your not a smoker you can't appreciate the level of addiction, to a legal drug. There has to be a compromise. What has been suggested is just that and works well at most lower league grounds.

Ballham you don't like walking through smoke outside buildings? It was non smokers who campaigned to make smokers go outside the doors! Pre 2007 we were more than happy smoking inside! In buildings other than pubs, often in designated rooms and areas, you can't have it both ways.

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
MarkMatthews":2euvx8yb said:
Presto, I acknowledge my cloths, hair etc stink enough to know it can make some non smokers feel ill, although can't smell it on other smokers.

Flip side of your coin is if your not a smoker you can't appreciate the level of addiction, to a legal drug. There has to be a compromise. What has been suggested is just that and works well at most lower league grounds.

Ballham you don't like walking through smoke outside buildings? It was non smokers who campaigned to make smokers go outside the doors! Pre 2007 we were more than happy smoking inside! In buildings other than pubs, often in designated rooms and areas, you can't have it both ways.

Agreed Mark. I don't think non smokers have any real clue about how addictive Nicotene is, to say "it can't be hard to go 2 hours without as cig" shows how utterly clueless they are, and how little they know about Nicotene addiction, it is One of the most addictive susbtances known to man, but because they have never smoked themselves they don't understand either the physical or mental effect a smoker not having Nicotene can cause.

Feb 15, 2005
Plymouth
Guiri Green":nsrhetm8 said:
I'm quite partial to the occasional over indulgence in rum and 80s' style dancing like a tw**, any chance Argyle could cater for me. Maybe a small area with a glitter ball at half time. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Two hours is a long time.

Long after I quit smoking (1985), people were using nicotine sprays. Maybe a new Argyle shop item ?
Stiffler":nsrhetm8 said:
argyleapf":nsrhetm8 said:
Was thinking they could stick some gaming machines somewhere so the gambling addicts can get their fix also!
I should hope they continue to prevent this happening at HP.
Was thinking they could stick some gaming machines somewhere so the gambling addicts can get their fix also!

Edited to add, I have been on flights with heavy smokers who for some reason never moan that the plane hasn't stopped every 2 hours to accommodate their addictive habit. Also work with them who get through 3 periods a day every day of over 2 hours without a smoke.

Not good examples. You are in a closed space in all the examples you offer. You can hardly land a plane in order to smoke or step outside. :banghead:

You're missing the point, it is fact that if people are unable to smoke for reasons like Work, flights ect then they won't. just like they do watching Argyle at present.

Edited to add, I have been on flights with heavy smokers who for some reason never moan that the plane hasn't stopped every 2 hours to accommodate their addictive habit. Also work with them who get through 3 periods a day every day of over 2 hours without a smoke.

Not good examples. You are in a closed space in all the examples you offer. You can hardly land a plane in order to smoke or step outside. :banghead:

You're missing the point, it is fact that if people are unable to smoke for reasons like Work, flights ect then they won't. just like they do watching Argyle at present.

In work you are getting paid, unlike at Argyle when you are the paying customer, out to enjoy the occasion. On a plane the reasons you have to suck it up are pretty obvious. Vaping away from the stand and others, in fresh air, should not present any problem for anyone accept those wishing to enforce their will on others.

Aug 3, 2017
I love the "non-smokers don't have a clue" approach. In all the posts Mark has quoted with a rebuttal he essentially cites "they cater for this addiction, so they should cater for mine" logic. Quoting , alcohol, chocolate (at overinflated compared to high st prices) and the fact the club once allowed gambling but no longer do as reasons you should be allowed to smoke...

Secondhand (passive) smoke unlike the other examples stated above do more than just offend people. It affects everyone else's health. Your passive smoke, after you exhale, still contains approximately 4000 chemicals, 250 are disease causing, 100 of which are toxic and a further 70 are cancerous. This affects children and pregnant ladies worse than adults, in the main. But in adults your secondhand smoke can cause stroke, cancer or heart disease. Yes, if people choose to smoke they can contribute to illness in others. In children it can be ear infections, in pregnancy your second hand smoke has been medically proven to cause SIDS.

Make no joke, passive smoking has a severe affect on the lives of other people, not just that I / we don't like it. Do I like being addicted to chocolate? No, chocolate contains the same chemical that alters the brain as cannabis. Does me eating a chocolate bar or two at half time have the same secondary health affects as smoking? No, my chocolate addiction will not send someone to the GP the next day.

I'm all for smokers being able to run the risks of premature death or illness, that is your choice but when you're addiction has the ability to inflict illness and in the very extreme premature death on others that do not smoke, I'm glad the club (though they are not saying it) say 'public health comes first'.

As has been indicted, smokers are catered for at HP via allowing smoking at the Fanfest. It just so happens to be a personal choice not to take the utility of that provision. Though, clemency should be offered to people with disabilities as I'm all to aware of how an undue long walk can have secondary or tertiary implications a day or two later.

Sep 21, 2003
Peverell
Goodness me. I'm a non-smoker and I'm asthmatic too. I was delighted when the smoking ban came in. I don't agree that the club has any obligation to provide smoking facilities, particularly if this would incur extra staffing costs. But some of the moralising on here is totally OTT.

Jan 3, 2013
Of course it's over the top, symptom of the easily offended generation....any smoking area would be in the open air, and non smokers wouldn't have to stand there, unlike outside pubs where the non smokers congregate too

May 16, 2016
Not sure if a sporting venue catering for addictions sends out a positive message to the next generation. I remember the argument in my last workplace before a smoking ban of how it was ok for smokers to down tools for 10 minutes whenever they felt the need for a fag break but not so for non / ex smokers to take that time to put our feet up on the desk and read the paper until they returned. The pile of dog ends outside the entrance didn't look good or give much of an impression to visitors.

It's ok though because I don't know what it's like to be gasping for a lung full of poison. Then again I've noticed no provision within easy reach for a nice South Island NZ Sauvingnon Blanc for those with more than a passing urge for a bottle of that.

Jan 1, 2006
Plymouth
Knarf Reprah thanks for the support.....it seems that our own little area is still to much of an impact on air quality. .....maybe diesel cars should be banned from the car park as well. On a more serious note I do not condone the dropping of cigarette ends all over the place that is disgusting. My original thread dare I say it was to deal with why Argyle have a different stance than most other clubs......it is my belief that being able to have a cigarette at half time would make a small but noticeable impact on gates....

Aug 2, 2011
Agree, why do we have to bend over backwards to assist those with an addiction. Why was it or indeed is it OK for the addicts to have a fag break at work when it suits them. Fair enough if it is unpaid but why should everyone else be expected to work an hour a day longer just because they are not addicts.

If you cannot go for 2 hours without a fag then you really are very sad.

N

NorfolkGreen

Presto":39504tjx said:
Agree, why do we have to bend over backwards to assist those with an addiction. Why was it or indeed is it OK for the addicts to have a fag break at work when it suits them. Fair enough if it is unpaid but why should everyone else be expected to work an hour a day longer just because they are not addicts.

If you cannot go for 2 hours without a fag then you really are very sad.

Or have a strong addiction?

I often wonder if a lawyer will take up a case for someone who has been provided facilities and time to have a cigarette at work and make a claim if they develop smoking related ill health issues, as the employer enabled it to occur knowing it was harmful.

Jan 3, 2013
Miles Bidgood":3lneyjcf said:
Knarf Reprah thanks for the support.....it seems that our own little area is still to much of an impact on air quality. .....maybe diesel cars should be banned from the car park as well. On a more serious note I do not condone the dropping of cigarette ends all over the place that is disgusting. My original thread dare I say it was to deal with why Argyle have a different stance than most other clubs......it is my belief that being able to have a cigarette at half time would make a small but noticeable impact on gates....

We won't win, the tree huggers won't broach any other opinion. Fag ends on the floor? Stick a bin outside!
Anyway, addictions? Why not ban alcohol in the ground too.....including corporate areas....bet they wouldn't do that! Apropos the loonies.....it's my choice and uman rite to smoke....surely it's an infringement of basic rights to prevent me from doing so. Imagine the government's horror if we all stopped......the NHS would collapse.

Sep 28, 2003
London
Knarf Reprah":2d7ycq00 said:
Miles Bidgood":2d7ycq00 said:

We won't win, the tree huggers won't broach any other opinion. Fag ends on the floor? Stick a bin outside!
Anyway, addictions? Why not ban alcohol in the ground too.....including corporate areas....bet they wouldn't do that! Apropos the loonies.....it's my choice and uman rite to smoke....surely it's an infringement of basic rights to prevent me from doing so. Imagine the government's horror if we all stopped......the NHS would collapse.

You're right, you won't win and parroting all the Daily Mail catchphrases you like won't change that, "snowflake".

You're conveniently missing out the part where smoking harms people around you whereas alcohol doesn't...convenient, eh? Maybe it is your right to smoke, but I also have a right not to impacted by your disgusting habit :wave:

I'm delighted Argyle haven't wasted any money pandering to these weak people who can't go 2 hours without fag :clap:

Jan 3, 2013
Missing the point........any smoking area would be outside......ps what's the biggest selling daily paper in the country to do with it!