The Old Half Time Smoke Thread | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Old Half Time Smoke Thread

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Would your issue not be solved just by sitting in the Grandstand? I'd assume it's fine to smoke in the open area behind it, though I don't know for sure.

Jan 20, 2005
Plymouth, Devon
Yeah, me and Miles do sit in Grandstand and go out because we go Fanfest. I think he was referring to those who don't sit in Grandstand/those who do not attend FanFest.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Knarf Reprah":39uajiiu said:
Spot on Miles.........however the professional " I'm offended" snowflakes will gang up on us.

You are the professionally offended, someone brings a drum along and starts a few chants and your straight in here moaning that it hinders your match-day experience or some such nonsense, snowflake .

Some people do not like the smell of cigarette smoke, it's a nasty smell that I can't help but associate with death and disease. As an asthmatic being surrounded by smokers isn't "offensive" it has genuine health implications.

Thankfully indoor areas are now off-limits to smoking, smokers can no longer force their habits on people in enclosed areas. That said I see no problem offering an outdoor area, the habit is dying but still exists, it's only right to give those who partake a place to do it, especially if it keeps them from lighting up in secret within the ground because there's nowhere to go.

As others have said it isn't illegal and as long as smokers have their own area those who want to avoid it can do so.

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
loyal1970":2cqbkx4t said:
Miles Bidgood":2cqbkx4t said:
Having unfortunately smoked for many years (Not The Last 2......a vapour) I have always had a bee in my bonnet about having a fag break at half time.......was told football regulations state something about no smoking in footprint of sporting stadia which is enforced by Health and Safety officer at Home Park. As a regular Fan Feast goer this problem evaporated for me however I do consider fans that use other parts of the ground.

I last night went along to Reading with a Villa fan of mine and half time the main gates were opened so fans could go outside for a smoke (a lot of them as well and they must have needed it lol) So this as we know is a big modern stadia that is prepared to use some harris type fencing and stewards to oversee this half time break and keep everyone happy. I'm told this was the case at Bristol City the other week and I have been to quite a few away matches where the smokers have been catered for. Why oh why do we still persist in not catering for our fans they are all customers. Can someone please confirm why we are different.....it is a mistake
a lot of grounds do let supporters out for a cig at half time and I have stood with home supporters many times no problem and indeed argyle do out the back of the grandstand but only if you have a pass around your neck or a ticket to the fan's fest if not the rest of you can go fkuc yourself, just saying one rule for some one for the rest.

My ice hocley team the Fife Flyers use a similar system. In between periods smokers are allowed to go outside into what is effectively like a yard to have a cigarette, this stops people from going out of the ticket entrances and having to show tickets on re-entering the rink. It's a very effective system and you always see supporters of Flyers and their opponents mixing freely while having a cig. It's a god send for me with how much I smoke lol, I smoke every half hour, and im general despite a period only being 20 minutes it generally works out to about a half an hour including stoppages. You can always guarantee that there will be several hundred people outside having as cig inbetween periods so I see no reason why Argyle cannot come up with something similar.

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
neilbet79":2a0iw13o said:
It's a dying habit... literally... That said is it really a big deal not having a fag for 2/ 2.5 hours...

I am presuming you aren't a smoker and never have never smoked Neil ?. There is no way I could go 2+ hours without a cig. When I go up to visit my friends in Scotland it is an 8 1/2 hour journey, however I tend to break the journey up so that I can have a cig around every hour, that is with using an inhilator every half hour om the train. I really don't think non smokers have any idea quite how addictive Nicotene is once you have started smoking. Take myself for an instance, if I try and stop outright I get terrible withdrawl symptoms, not disilimar to those that people coming off heroin have, so I think unless you have actually been there yourself it makes it difficult to really understand how addictive smoking is, which in turn makes it difficult to have a real informed decision on the subject.

As a smoker, and a heavy one at that, I would be thrilled if the club managed to create a smoking area. I believe we have a new safety officer who is more open to the suggestion so it could actually happen.

One thing I do find though is that if I can manage two hours without a fag so can anyone. During the game last Saturday some muppet had a fag at half time, wasn’t even someone youn it was someone who should be plenty old enough to know better. The rules are in place for a reason, a safety reason at that.

I can’t think of a club where I’ve been that doesn’t allow smoking and argyle lag behind on that, would definitely enhance the match day experience for fans home and away. Just needs to be managed properly.

Feb 15, 2005
Plymouth
I only vape and the rules prior to this season allowed this in the open air area behind the stand. Last match i was informed this is now banned also. This is hard to comprehend as there is no smell or creation of a fire risk. As I am also disabled, I can find it a hard and painful walk to use my Fanfest ticket to exit the ground, just to vape. These rules are way over the top outside of the stands, especially for vapers who present no fire risk or smell. :sad: :sad: :sad:

Feb 28, 2016
Isondil":7tumlryk said:
I have an addiction to chocolate and women. Does that mean the club should provide me with a pool of molten chocolate and two bikini clad girls to wrestle? No. I can curb my addiction for the sake of 2-3 hours because I'm a big boy.

Last I checked they do cater for those addictions, they sell chocolate in the ground in solid and liquid form. They have had the Argyle angels and I bet no steward would confiscate an issue of Razzle, Mayfair or Fiesta off you!

Jul 3, 2013
Was thinking they could stick some gaming machines somewhere so the gambling addicts can get their fix also!
I should hope they continue to prevent this happening at HP.

Edited to add, I have been on flights with heavy smokers who for some reason never moan that the plane hasn't stopped every 2 hours to accommodate their addictive habit. Also work with them who get through 3 periods a day every day of over 2 hours without a smoke.

Feb 28, 2016
Stiffler":3t618dgn said:
Was thinking they could stick some gaming machines somewhere so the gambling addicts can get their fix also!

Edited to add, I have been on flights with heavy smokers who for some reason never moan that the plane hasn't stopped every 2 hours to accommodate their addictive habit. Also work with them who get through 3 periods a day every day of over 2 hours without a smoke.

They used to have bookmakers inside the ground and gambling addicts aren't prevented from betting on their phones are? Alcoholics aren't stopped from drinking are they?

Personally I would never go more than an hour in work and mine about smoking not being allowed on planes(the air was cleaner when it was) I know several people who stopped going after it was banned. People are addicted to different levels, not all smokers are the same.

I have never personally seen any non smokers complain about smokers at grounds who let people out at HT, (which in L2 was nearly all of them.) I used to hear a lot of moans from non smokers when it was allowed in the concourse of the new stands but not in the seats at HP. If they did open a gate with the Harris fencing chances are you wouldn't even notice it. It's a perfectly reasonable compromise.

Feb 15, 2005
Plymouth
Stiffler":2g5pnaxj said:

Not good examples. You are in a closed space in all the examples you offer. You can hardly land a plane in order to smoke or step outside. :banghead:

Jul 3, 2013
argyleapf":6j6t9wa8 said:
Stiffler":6j6t9wa8 said:

Not good examples. You are in a closed space in all the examples you offer. You can hardly land a plane in order to smoke or step outside. :banghead:

You're missing the point, it is fact that if people are unable to smoke for reasons like Work, flights ect then they won't. just like they do watching Argyle at present.

Sep 6, 2006
Dont smoke for 2 hours. Sure its not that difficult. Would extend your life expectancy! What annoys me is all those folk who stand outside(e.g. pubs) and you have to walk though a fog of smoke to get inside! On second thoughts keeps smoking. You may be killing yourself but at least loads of money for the tax man.

May 16, 2016
I'm quite partial to the occasional over indulgence in rum and 80s' style dancing like a tw**, any chance Argyle could cater for me. Maybe a small area with a glitter ball at half time. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Two hours is a long time.

Long after I quit smoking (1985), people were using nicotine sprays. Maybe a new Argyle shop item ?