There's something rotten at Home Park! | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

There's something rotten at Home Park!

Aug 17, 2011
London
PlymOdi":1p20qab8 said:
gaspargomez":1p20qab8 said:
PL2 3DQ":1p20qab8 said:
There was a player revolt at Ross County where players complained of shouting matches, strained relationships and pumping the ball upfront and not letting the players play football (although that could be argued it's up to the manager how to play)...
I don't know the answer, but I imagine it wasn't particularly impressive given we were rooting around in E*eter's recycling bin, together with the collection of non league standard journeymen that are taking a wage at HP.
Treated like servants

Very interesting article.

If the content is true, it does raise a few questions.

I still think that if you pay peanuts you get monkeys and the playing budget just isn't strong enough for League One.

Okay, so what is the budget? And what is the budget of those around us? Since you've mentioned this over and over and over. What are the numbers?

May 16, 2016
David_Fisher":26cuuzlx said:
Jose446":26cuuzlx said:
arrythewurzel":26cuuzlx said:
I think the issues are all well known by fans as Saltash is a small town and word gets round. Its the worst kept secret in Plymouth but I don't see how that could affect the squad. I don't buy this as the root of the
rot personally ?
Indeed they are, it may not be the root - but the fact that it has lead to altercations withing certain nightlife venues can't have helped

I'm amazed that the local press hasn't picked up on this.

As mentioned above it is common knowledge in the local non-league football scene.

I'm amazed that people think his private life is any of their business. Whatever the gossip is, what's it got to do with us ?

'It' might have a bearing on his work life, if so, isn't it best to leave the guy alone to sort things out privately rather than expecting a front page scandal ? That way he'll be back to his best sooner and we can hope for better on pitch results.

Aug 17, 2011
London
neilbet79":1ggxkj2s said:
PlymOdi":1ggxkj2s said:
gaspargomez":1ggxkj2s said:
PL2 3DQ":1ggxkj2s said:
There was a player revolt at Ross County where players complained of shouting matches, strained relationships and pumping the ball upfront and not letting the players play football (although that could be argued it's up to the manager how to play)...
I don't know the answer, but I imagine it wasn't particularly impressive given we were rooting around in E*eter's recycling bin, together with the collection of non league standard journeymen that are taking a wage at HP.
Treated like servants

I still think that if you pay peanuts you get monkeys and the playing budget just isn't strong enough for League One.

Okay, so what is the budget? And what is the budget of those around us? Since you've mentioned this over and over and over. What are the numbers?

I don't know the numbers, but I imagine it wasn't particularly impressive given that we were rooting around in Exeter's recycle bin; coupled with the non league standard journeymen brought in and now taking a wage at HP.

Feb 8, 2005
neilbet79":30zxgegr said:
neilbet79":30zxgegr said:
PlymOdi":30zxgegr said:
gaspargomez":30zxgegr said:
PL2 3DQ":30zxgegr said:
Treated like servants

I don't know the numbers, but I imagine it wasn't particularly impressive given that we were rooting around in Exeter's recycle bin; coupled with the non league standard journeymen brought in and now taking a wage at HP.

You've just shot yourself down in flames!!!

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
neilbet79":2u2qgs46 said:
neilbet79":2u2qgs46 said:
PlymOdi":2u2qgs46 said:
gaspargomez":2u2qgs46 said:
PL2 3DQ":2u2qgs46 said:
Treated like servants

If I have Ā£10, and I spend Ā£2 on something which isn't as good as next doors Ā£9 something. Is that the budget, or bad money management?

Aug 17, 2011
London
jimsing":33vwoeed said:
neilbet79":33vwoeed said:
neilbet79":33vwoeed said:
PlymOdi":33vwoeed said:
gaspargomez":33vwoeed said:
PL2 3DQ":33vwoeed said:
Treated like servants

You've just shot yourself down in flames!!!
Inaccurate.

Feb 23, 2008
Bristol Rich":1acabg96 said:
chunkymonkey78":1acabg96 said:
PL2 3DQ":1acabg96 said:

Treated like servants

It was odd over the summer when Adams' agent had to refute the interest from Aberdeen, we had never heard anything from his agent in the press before that.
Adams was quiet all summer, never once speaking to the media about the new signings he made as he did the previous summer, the first time he spoke to the media was the day before pre-season training.

The agent (or indeed Adams) didn't actually say Adams didn't want the job, just that it would be unprofessional to say he wanted the job ....
"It's something that is inaccurate. To say I'm annoyed doesn't really fully encapsulate how I'm feeling about this.

"With the connections that Derek has to Aberdeen, with the connections that he has to Scottish football and indeed with the continued success he has had at Plymouth, then quite clearly he could be a target for Aberdeen. I'm not suggesting that isn't the case.

"But in terms of Derek putting himself out there, and in terms of Derek Adams' agent putting his name out there, to say that we want the Aberdeen job would be unprofessional from us.

"I don't like the fact that Derek has been caught up in this. I want to give the Plymouth Argyle fans the assurance that this is not the work of either Derek or myself.

"It's just a journalist taking a flier in Scotland."

That article was one that was also linked when it was announced we'd appointed DA and nobody knew who he was.

Odd that it was then conveniently ignored until we hit the first real signs of trouble in his spell here.

It's not odd ar all is it? It's blindingly obvious that when the team hits a shocking spell questions are asked of the manager and people want to see if this is a one off or a pattern of behaviour. How is that hard to understand?

It's not hard to understand. I was just pointing out that this has been known about since his first day in charge, but because he's been successful it's been swept under the rug. He's shown flashes of it with treatment of players like Tanner and Bully.

Now the team are struggling articles from 3/4 years ago get dug up to add to the scandal.

I'm fully aware results and performances aren't what they should be, I've seen every home game of his reign, I'm not sure why people are surprised we are struggling.

He's a young manager, he's still learning, he needs to drop his tactical stubbornness but I think he deserves longer than he's had to get things right before people start turning on him. I would rather he learns here than goes elsewhere because he's suddenly deemed not good enough for Argyle. You know, like Barnes, Hourihane, Puncheon etc.

Interesting to note that the Devonport End turned on the board rather than him yesterday too.

May 8, 2011
PL2 3DQ":28rwcn8e said:

Treated like servants

It was odd over the summer when Adams' agent had to refute the interest from Aberdeen, we had never heard anything from his agent in the press before that.
Adams was quiet all summer, never once speaking to the media about the new signings he made as he did the previous summer, the first time he spoke to the media was the day before pre-season training.

The agent (or indeed Adams) didn't actually say Adams didn't want the job, just that it would be unprofessional to say he wanted the job ....
"It's something that is inaccurate. To say I'm annoyed doesn't really fully encapsulate how I'm feeling about this.

"With the connections that Derek has to Aberdeen, with the connections that he has to Scottish football and indeed with the continued success he has had at Plymouth, then quite clearly he could be a target for Aberdeen. I'm not suggesting that isn't the case.

"But in terms of Derek putting himself out there, and in terms of Derek Adams' agent putting his name out there, to say that we want the Aberdeen job would be unprofessional from us.

"I don't like the fact that Derek has been caught up in this. I want to give the Plymouth Argyle fans the assurance that this is not the work of either Derek or myself.

"It's just a journalist taking a flier in Scotland."

Makes you wonder why it took 7 years of him as manager before the 'player revolt' maybe just a coincidence that the players were all Dutch.
Makes you wonder if he has this reputation why so many former players have followed him and other players don't mind signing for him.

Jul 7, 2006
It is pointless complaining about budgets when the current problems, IMO, come from lack of leadership both off and on the park. There was always going to be an issue with a goalkeeper being the on field Captain but compared with other problems this is not a major issue.
You have to ask why players such as Bradley and Carey loose their cool when a disciplined approach is required. After all if these 2 senior players lose it what sort of example does that set the rest of the team. We all get frustrated but as professionals in any walk of life one just gets on with it. It is what one is paid for.
So methinks that the problem has to stem from management and motivation. For example, how many more times do we have to concede goals in the first few moments before Wotton(defensive coach)gets to grips with the problem. If the players aren't taking notice of his directions a la marking then that is his fault. Just as overall team discipline and motivation is Adams responsibility.
It is one thing to get a second yellow especially as we have seen many examples of apparent fussy refereeing decisions but the straight reds(Sarcevic and Bradley)are unacceptable not to say costly
Obviously Adams is not getting to grips with what is becoming a very silly problem. Likewise heads drop the moment we go a goal behind. It shouldn't be the end of the World should it.
In short the team lacks 'Esprit de Corps' and that is serious and for this Management is directly rsponsible.

Jan 27, 2012
The budget- no of course the figures are not available. But Adams comments to the Herald and at fan forums would strongly suggest that the playing budget is below average for League One. Which is strange considering Argyle get some of the highest gates. Plenty of clubs have debts and not that many have super-rich chairmen. It seems we cant even afford free agents at the moment.

Adams- to be fair it wasn't just the Dutch players who walked out on him at Ross County. A few players went AWOL so there was definitely something disruptive happening behind the scenes (try searching the Daily Record). But I'm not joining the queue of people criticising Adams He had success last year and has generally been a positive influence on the club in terms of results. He has earned the right to be given plenty of time to turn things around and its still an early stage in the season. But give the man a better budget to work with Brent.

Feb 17, 2017
HC Green":br8qmk3u said:
Neilz5419":br8qmk3u said:
Heard on the grape vine that blissett actually told Adams thatā€™s he didnā€™t want to play today, canā€™t say the source obviously but clearly something isnā€™t right

So Blissett said to Adams 'I'm not playing today and Adams said OK, but I'm putting you in the matchday squad, turn up if you want to!'

Very likely scenario.
Cannot say for certain how the conversation went as I wasnā€™t there but Iā€™m sure others where, and Iā€™m sure it wouldnā€™t have been a case of ā€œIā€™m not playingā€.. ā€œokā€ from Adams. More a fall out and you wonā€™t be in the starting 11 and if I say come on you come on, hence a start from fletcher and ciftci out wide, not the tactics he wanted to play.

May 16, 2016
Neilz5419":t0vt9tzs said:
HC Green":t0vt9tzs said:
Neilz5419":t0vt9tzs said:
Heard on the grape vine that blissett actually told Adams thatā€™s he didnā€™t want to play today, canā€™t say the source obviously but clearly something isnā€™t right

So Blissett said to Adams 'I'm not playing today and Adams said OK, but I'm putting you in the matchday squad, turn up if you want to!'

Very likely scenario.
Cannot say for certain how the conversation went as I wasnā€™t there but Iā€™m sure others where, and Iā€™m sure it wouldnā€™t have been a case of ā€œIā€™m not playingā€.. ā€œokā€ from Adams. More a fall out and you wonā€™t be in the starting 11 and if I say come on you come on, hence a start from fletcher and ciftci out wide, not the tactics he wanted to play.

Any idea what Wylde said to Fox as he came on ? I was there but couldn't quite hear it.

Feb 17, 2017
Guiri Green":30w5u0tz said:
Neilz5419":30w5u0tz said:
HC Green":30w5u0tz said:
Neilz5419":30w5u0tz said:

Very likely scenario.

Any idea what Wylde said to Fox as he came on ? I was there but couldn't quite hear it.

No idea on that unfortunately I didnā€™t hear it either not sure if anyone else can shed some light on this

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
Guiri Green":aprorzwe said:
Neilz5419":aprorzwe said:
HC Green":aprorzwe said:
Neilz5419":aprorzwe said:

Very likely scenario.

The subs are usually the message carriers for a change of tactics so Wylde might have been giving Fox new instructions.
During games Fox is the one who receives the new written instructions from Adams, although in the Blackpool game it was Bradley who collected the small piece of paper from Adams and handed it to Fox who then organised the new formation.

May 8, 2011
Neilz5419":1fq2s65u said:
HC Green":1fq2s65u said:
Neilz5419":1fq2s65u said:

Very likely scenario.

But you said Blissett told Adams he didn't want to play, now you are saying he would have played?