This season (enjoyment?) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

This season (enjoyment?)

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
Supporting a club is about being in it for the long haul. If someone wants to watch good football every week, they will never get that CONSISTENTLY anywhere as the entertainment value of a team waxes and wains over time as players and managers move in and out.

Take the positives from this season, we are the second most successful team (so far) out of the 24 in this league and will hopefully be moving up to a different level next year. Some players will leave, some will join, the style therefore may change.

Chasing entertaining football is just as useless as chasing successful football. But to support your local team, you have to take the rough with the smooth.

If the style of football is not for you, take a break.

Edited because I was a div and said third when I ment second!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Why the third most successful? Unless I'm missing something....

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I think the collapse last season has cast a shadow over this season and stopped us enjoying it as much as we should. We seem to be waiting for the (new) team to fail and blow promotion.

There have been some very good games and moments this season and lower league football will always be up and down, good and bad.

We have been a counter attacking team this season with a strong defence.
Defending is just as important as attacking and I've enjoyed the way we have defended and the 'shall not pass' mindset.
The change to zonal marking two thirds through a season was interesting and brave.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
I'd be enjoying this season a lot more if I didn't have someone behind me continuously moaning from kick off to final whistle, regardless of score and performance.

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
Biggs":1o8b8cby said:
Why the third most successful? Unless I'm missing something....

I was suffering a mind burp due to the negativity being displayed in this thread. I mean St second obviously and will edit the original.

Mar 27, 2013
BIDEFORD NORTH DEVON
Yes very enjoyable so far

22 Wins so far

Beating Exeter Home and Away

Liverpool Fa Cup experience

Reasons to be cheerful

Just a few wins away from promotion & League 1

Come On You Greens :scarf:

derbygreen

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2003
Paignton....was Derby
I must admit I'm not really enjoying the season. Even if we are promoted it won't be an exciting season IMHO. The entertainment just isn't there with the football but I suppose the end justifies the means?

Oct 31, 2015
I kind of get what the op is saying. Some of our home performances have neen dire and the home games are what brings the punter in. Add to that the capitulation last year and the team not turning up at.Wembley it has all put a downer on the season for some.

nick_PASTIE":h4qh1a2v said:
Many fans don't respect the league and opposition we are playing and I think that clouds the achievements many expect us to romp just because the away ten have 50!fans. I agree Home performances have been inconsistent but away efforts have been superb and the dominant double over our fairly decent Devon rivals will live long in the memory, as well as the Liverpool games.

On balance I love and hugely enjoy any season when Argyle are winning more games than not and challenging for promotion.

Well done Brent, Derek and team

This in bucketfulls !!

S

Steve_Barrie

Beginning of last season, we had a team that played slick, short passing football and we were entertaining and running away with the league. Derek had got us a great team. Then we know what happened and since that time Derek has served up a negative, "let's not lose" approach that is almost unwatchable.

I can't get to many games so I go as often as I can but I have not enjoyed a single match as a football spectacle. It's sad.

L

Les Latcham

Each promotion is different and we all look back with tinted views to previous promotions, each of these campaigns had there highs and lows , my first promotion was under waiters and that team will always be my favourite, sit back and enjoy the ride as being a green we've always hadi limited success and you need to savour each occasion, The greens are going up!!

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
There have been some low points but in general I've thoroughly enjoyed the season. More recently the anxiety at Home Park has had an impact but we will get there this time. In fact I was thinking during the match today about how standards have improved. The 4th tier of football was always about lumping it to the big man, but Morecambe today for example weren't of that ilk - they're not alone.

It's a short memory that decries the level of entertainment this year when thinking back just 4 or 5 years ago. We'll always be thankful for their efforts but some of the players during the dark days were really quite poor - as was the football in general.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
PL2 3DQ":2ma9mu6f said:
Defending is just as important as attacking.....

Not in respect of sports entertainment and fan enjoyment it isn't, like what the OP is saying.

The team and manager'll get their win bonuses based in great part on decent defending, the owner's investment increases, the media to stay cushy'll reflect the brainwashing of winning and trophies are end of story and that can't be challenged, and a thousand-plus uber fans might imitate that tunnel vision in their own actions; but all independent of that, an average fan's view of what's enjoyable can't be dumbed down with such staticism can it.

For me, Warnock's promotion basement-binary football was way less enjoyable, and was got away with. So Adam's lot, players like Carey - not going so bad is it, worth a watch.

Will it be better in L1, promo now nailed on [imho] - not sure, I mean the definition of promotion is that you're too good for the division, but you don't have some greater authority picking none or six from year to year, it needs to be a given number. Are Argyle standing out in L2, no; will they bite and scratch in L1, yep; will the football (Argyle and oppo) get infinitely more imaginative and eye pleasing, an unknown; but thank 'your given idol' the grounds to visit will be way pleasanter.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Nothing compares to that Shilton (in other words McGovern) team. Boy did they play some wonderful stuff.

I also agree Warnock's team was 'industrial' to say the least.

Mar 8, 2016
GreenThing":3proz2s6 said:
I'd be enjoying this season a lot more if I didn't have someone behind me continuously moaning from kick off to final whistle, regardless of score and performance.

I feel your pain, it really gets on my mammaries, Iam not sure what some fans are expecting? Some of the pearls of wisdom that I hear from certain people in the stands is cringeworthy to say the least, is this the same at every other ground in the country?