This season (enjoyment?) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

This season (enjoyment?)

Ray Stidwell

Jam First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
X Isle":j8kxqjco said:
Favourite promotion = 2001-2002. Might not have been the prettiest but we were dominant, we were streets ahead of everyone else.

I probably should keep these thoughts to myself but part of me wonders what this team and Adams tactics would look like *IF* we did go up, with not a single chicken counted you understand.

They're not the greatest of margins I accept but in L1 the opposition would on average be slightly less 'agricultural', on average the pitches would be slightly better and on average those we play will pay us a little less respect (it being a slightly bigger pond and us being a slightly smaller fish in it). Added to that our own expectations as fans would be tempered by being a first season in a higher league for a long time, they hinder the team quite often.

All those things could actually help this team. Adams passing and counter attacking tactics would be aided by better pitches, facing less blunt force trauma and teams that think they can take us. The burden the crowd put on the team sometimes, especially when it's not going well, would ease off a bit too.

So as peculiarly frustrating as this season has been maybe, just maybe, any doubts we might have about the worthiness of any promotion we *MIGHT* get are made without putting into context just what a blunt/physical bunch of negative teams we've played on some truly horrendous surfaces.

I baulk at saying 'we're too good for this league' because patently we're not, the wildly undulating performance levels show that. However there could be something in Adams tactical doctrine being slightly better suited to a higher level.

The Liverpool games are where the seed of this theory originated for me. When you get panels of pundits purring in admiration on our defensive tactics and work rate (Steve McWhateverman aside) you have to think to yourself, why don't we see this week in week out?

Maybe the less we see of yer basement league cloggers, the less we face yer mixed martial art style aggression of yer Orients and yer Wycombes the better, the less we have to play on the ploughed fields of little England the better too.

Basically, get up a league and incrementally the better the environment will be for this team and this manager, I certainly trust him to get in good players.

Just get us there and test my theory eh Argyle?

This for me ! ...
.and further odd comments:
1)I often wonder how much better previous promotion seasons felt during the season, & especially how the fanbase's view at the time would have been expressed had social media been available,
e.g.:
The nightmare at Elm Park on 21/12/85 - Pasoti would surely have been in meltdown!, & the pain would quite likely have been much more "drawn out", whereas then we, or at least I, went home shocked, speechless & confused, got some ribbing at work on Monday, and then quite simply " moved on" ! ( Wigan similarly that season) . The reality is that " poo happening" on some occasions did not stop it being a great season!

2) The thought of not playing Wycombe again is Oh so sweet !

Mar 27, 2013
BIDEFORD NORTH DEVON
13 Years since our last promotion in 2004

Enjoying this season as we all set for promotion to league 1 for the 1st time since 2010/11

The Final Countdown Now with Just 8 Games To Go

Come On You Greens :scarf:

Johndelve":3dt2ujel said:
Have found a way to win most games this season without actually playing that well or being that much bettter than the opposition .
Results are what matters, but if we get over the line this side will probably go down as the most unconvincing promotion winning squad in Argyle history.
But they are more than likely to get us out of this division now.

P. W. D. L.
37. 21. 6. 10

Not exactly unconvincing those stats are they?
First two league games aside we've been in the top three all season.

Feb 15, 2005
The stats maybe convincing but the manner in which we play at home has been entirely unconvincing. The next question we will be asking is who do we keep and who do we let go, where do we need to strengthen?

T

The Grumpy Loyal

If you've been a regular away gamer this season your overall view will be in stark contrast to a 'homers'.

The majority of Home Park games have been pretty painful to watch - even some of the wins. Compare and contrast that with, for example, the euphoric atmosphere in the away end at Mansfield last week and they are polar opposites.

All that matters now though is getting out of this graveyard division.

May 16, 2016
Leigh Rapson":4syvjqbt said:
Johndelve":4syvjqbt said:
Have found a way to win most games this season without actually playing that well or being that much bettter than the opposition .
Results are what matters, but if we get over the line this side will probably go down as the most unconvincing promotion winning squad in Argyle history.
But they are more than likely to get us out of this division now.

P. W. D. L.
37. 21. 6. 10

Not exactly unconvincing those stats are they?
First two league games aside we've been in the top three all season.

Shhhhh, you'll spoil some peoples post match post mortems of why we're not good enough.

Oct 24, 2010
For me it's been a great season(so far). Challenging at the top of the league and at times playing some excellent football, as the first half yesterday. We've had a few downs but there has been far more positives. The league is of a high standard nowadays and very competitive and enjoyable. The table, at this stage of the season doesn't lie and we are the second best team in this division and we have a number of quality players. Promotion will be a great achievement and we need now to stay focused and get the job done.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Is there a block button?

MGM... I don't need an essay telling me why a 20 point gap is unlikely. For the second time​, i merely said 'I wouldn't be surprised' if it was 'CLOSER TO' 20 points. I didn't say it would be 20 points...

And yes, your language is bizarre (using other posters opinions is also bizarre because I'm talking about the LANGUAGE you specifically use) and has been all season. You consistently deliver drawn out thoughtpieces attempting to pinpoint where exactly we're going wrong. Meanwhile, the team continue to open up a commanding lead over fourth place, with a few inevitable misteps (yes, it's League Two, guys).

Bloody hell, it can't be just me... Can it?

May 16, 2016
Biggs":3dzagxyq said:
Is there a block button?

MGM... I don't need an essay telling me why a 20 point gap is unlikely. For the second time​, i merely said 'I wouldn't be surprised' if it was 'CLOSER TO' 20 points. I didn't say it would be 20 points...

And yes, your language is bizarre (using other posters opinions is also bizarre because I'm talking about the LANGUAGE you specifically use) and has been all season. You consistently deliver drawn out thoughtpieces attempting to pinpoint where exactly we're going wrong. Meanwhile, the team continue to open up a commanding lead over fourth place, with a few inevitable misteps (yes, it's League Two, guys).

As Michael Jackson (I think) once said......you are not alone.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Biggs":2rxc0tvz said:
Is there a block button?

There isn't a block button, buy you can 'add foe' so you don't see his posts.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The Grumpy Loyal":1rl8i059 said:
If you've been a regular away gamer this season your overall view will be in stark contrast to a 'homers'.

The majority of Home Park games have been pretty painful to watch - even some of the wins. Compare and contrast that with, for example, the euphoric atmosphere in the away end at Mansfield last week and they are polar opposites.

Blimey, I agree with you!
The best games I have seen this season have been away, I mentioned earlier in the season that fans at Home Park are not seeing the best of the team.

Nov 18, 2011
The Grumpy Loyal":2el7ug55 said:

I agree 100%.

I also feel that next season (if we go up) our counter attack tactics could serve us well. Teams in League 1 are more likely to come at us giving us a chance to exploit them on the counter.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
PL2 3DQ":1qwtpf7q said:
The Grumpy Loyal":1qwtpf7q said:

The best games I have seen this season have been away, I mentioned earlier in the season that fans at Home Park are not seeing the best of the team.

Those of us who see only the home games might not be seeing the best on offer this year, but apart from the Orient match, we haven't been as bad as some on here like to make out.

GreenThing":2nonne64 said:
PL2 3DQ":2nonne64 said:
The Grumpy Loyal":2nonne64 said:

Those of us who see only the home games might not be seeing the best on offer this year, but apart from the Orient match, we haven't been as bad as some on here like to make out.

Im an exile in France and Ive seen six home matches.
Carlisle and Wycombe games were top notch entertainment, shame about the late Wycombe equaliser.
Cambridge and Crawley were both wins but were patchy, we did well to take our chances.
Notts County and Blackpool were absolutely dreadful. Two of the most gutless, passion free, boring Argyle performances Ive seen in 34 years watching the greens.
Whilst I can understand the op, Ive enjoyed following the greens this season. Weekends are so much more enjoyable after a victory despite the performances.