Torquay (A) Friendly - Match Thread | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Torquay (A) Friendly - Match Thread

Mar 23, 2008
Thanks for update, sounds a decent test. Definitely light up top although I do like JJ up there and may work as we have more width this season in terms of other options.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I think this match was a glimpse into next season. A functional performance which relied on a bit of magic from Carey and then hold the opposition and keep what we've got. It might work against some lesser League One sides but we shouldn't rely on Carey.

Torquay gave us a good test, especially to our defence which despite some pressure kept another clean sheet.

Lameiras came alive in the second half, his movement and creativity was excellent.

It was old stagers Fox and Carey who were our best players, Fox moved deeper on the second half and pulled the strings while Carey is a class above.

We are desperate for a new striker, any new signing will be our first choice I reckon.
Jervis tried the line striker role again and did win some headers but as some fans have said he struggles in this role against better opposition.

A good 30 to 45 minutes and good second half from us. The first 30 minutes was a struggle.

Apr 30, 2017
Taylor is injured, Blissett is on paternity leave.

Decent fest tonight. Partnerships over the pitch are beginning to be built. Ryan Edwards looks a decent addition, solid as a rock. Set price defending, looked unpracticed and were overall poor. Classy GC strike. Both RL and GC were drifting until the goal, then those 2 clicked together. Penalties also weren't practiced, but that'll come. I thought Millar coped well tonight against a decent player in Jake Gosling, and I feel some of abuse and scapegoating is too much.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
McCormick- Solid as usual, good shouting
Miller - Still has a mistake in him, however second half he was solid
Edwards- Still not overly convinced. Big stocky lad but i never notice his presence on the pitch. I feel like he needs Bradley alongside him to build their partnership.
Songo'o - Made some good blocks and tackles tonight, decent performance
Sawyer - Poor first 20 but was then his usual solid self
Sarcevic- Poor tonight. Couldn't handle Torquay pressing him and would often turn back and kick it to Luke
Fox- Poor first half good second. Couple of his passes were fantastic.
Carey- Class above. Brilliant goal.
Lamieras - Struggled at times. Took him a while to get going but he's good in possession, just a bit lightweight in 50/50s.
Wylde- To one dimensional. Poor. Crosses barely leave the floor.
Jervis - Solid up front on his own, good back up for that position.

Subs:
Grant - Good flair and control, beat his man well and a good header for his goal.
Ainsworth- Similar performance, skinned their left back every time he got the ball.

Good test. Jamie Reid was very good for Turkey. Fallon won't get a contract though , based on that performance.

Oct 26, 2005
Torbay
PL2 3DQ":3bxlw480 said:
1780 attendance. 815 Greens.

Don't believe that. Each seated section has 250 seats and Argyle filled two of them (all except a few empty seats). The away end has a capacity of 1200 so, according to the official figures, this should have had 350ish, or just over a quarter full. There were far more than that. The guy on the one away end turnstile was keeping a note on a piece of paper of how many he was letting in so the auto counter must not have been working.

Mar 14, 2009
2nd half we passed the ball much better. Quicker and more purpose.

We played a high line 2nd half and caught Torquay offside a number of times. That said up until around 65th min when Torquay made their subsititions they did hit the post and mins later the crossbar. They also had a few close misses often by simple balls over the top and 2 on 2 situations.

Argyle at the other end were trying to utlise Wylde. At times it worked well....eg the penalty opportunity came from it.....

Lameiras got better as the game carried on. Often linking play.

Jervis as a forward tonight just didnt work. He just didnt get involved enough and didnt seem to know how to link up with his team mates. Part of that reason though was Argyles poor passing in the first half.

When Ainsworth came on he gave a good cameo. Argyle had much better balance from the right and left. This gives a good indication that we have now have good attacking options within the squad. We are playing it wide and now we have pace and trickery to hurt teams.

Not convinced over the Fox and Sarcevic midfield partnership. Sarcevic seems better going forward than tracking back. Need someone, apart from Ness, who can close down players and do the dirty work.

Overall, it looks decent from an attacking perspective. Edwards seems good in the heart of the defence. My concern is the fullbacks. For a team that spread it wide you need fullbacks good on the ball. At times Sawyer and Miller just gave away the ball to easily. Plus on numerous occasions they were often got in behind. Could be the issue that determines what type of season we might have.

Overall, a very good test and workout. We should have some players this season who can change a game. I cant see why with one or two additions we cant consoildate this season. The need for a forward though was highlighted today when Carey played as striker for the last 15 mins of the game.

Early days and things can change quickly in football. These are just some early thoughts.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Thanks for all the reports. I think the key question remains, can we score two goals against Cardiff at home? I think that would be a decent pointer as to the outcome of next season. We still might lose, but it would put the strength of Argyle's attack in a better perspective.

Sep 15, 2009
Peverell
Barrie Davis":3rpmmm69 said:
PL2 3DQ":3rpmmm69 said:

Don't believe that. Each seated section has 250 seats and Argyle filled two of them (all except a few empty seats). The away end has a capacity of 1200 so, according to the official figures, this should have had 350ish, or just over a quarter full. There were far more than that. The guy on the one away end turnstile was keeping a note on a piece of paper of how many he was letting in so the auto counter must not have been working.

There were 100s of us still stuck outside as the game kicked off so some woman opened the main gate and let everyone through cash in hand. Seemed very shambolic and probably against regulations but at least it eased the queue.
Probably didn't count to the attendance

Dec 21, 2010
Hundreds of us were admitted at the last moment for £10 cash in hand with no change available and no record taken. Basically stewards with wads of £10 notes in their hands. Hope Torquay received all revenues due as they need every penny. Chief Steward told me they were informed that there would only be 200 Argyle fans, hence only one turnstile open.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Barrie Davis":3tzdpsc2 said:
PL2 3DQ":3tzdpsc2 said:

I didn't believe it either and I didn't believe the attendance figure given at Weston Super Mare. Fair play to the non-league clubs if they are making the most of playing EFL opposition.

Sep 15, 2009
Peverell
Gentle decent game where both sides looked to get the ball down and play.
Torquay looked ok and could of had a couple of goals with the woodwork saving us twice in quick succession
Carey scored yet another cracker and I Loved Lameiras 2nd half.
He's Very good on the ball and looks like a league one Ozil in his playing style.
He and Carey could dovetail well when they gel together.
Think we need a genuine ball winner in midfield, hopefully Ness if he gets fit, especially if we play Carey and Lameiras together as we could be a bit lightweight

Jul 3, 2013
Quintrell_Green":1kmoc11h said:
Thanks for all the reports. I think the key question remains, can we score two goals against Cardiff at home? I think that would be a decent pointer as to the outcome of next season. We still might lose, but it would put the strength of Argyle's attack in a better perspective.

I doubt Adams gives a monkeys about the score, it will be about shape and gaining match sharpness/fitness whilst trying out a few more combinations within the squad, he probably won't know his best team until nearer the Posh game.
There are 2 things that spring to mind and that is the continued increase in strength throughout the squad each of Adams seasons in charge and that friendly results count for naff all come the first game of the season.

Jul 29, 2010
argyledad":bff0udks said:
Hundreds of us were admitted at the last moment for £10 cash in hand with no change available and no record taken. Basically stewards with wads of £10 notes in their hands. Hope Torquay received all revenues due as they need every penny. Chief Steward told me they were informed that there would only be 200 Argyle fans, hence only one turnstile open.
Before the gates even opened I questioned why there was only one turnstile going to be in operation and I was told that in the briefing D and C's finest stated there would only be 200 Argyle fans :funny:
I said there'd be a 1000 and it seems I wasn't far off!
Oxymoron = Police Intelligence

May 8, 2011
meetoo":3jsrevei said:
argyledad":3jsrevei said:
Before the gates even opened I questioned why there was only one turnstile going to be in operation and I was told that in the briefing D and C's finest stated there would only be 200 Argyle fans :funny:
I said there'd be a 1000 and it seems I wasn't far off!
Oxymoron = Police Intelligence

I heard the Steward say they were only expecting 200, don't know who is giving this information out but someone seem to a bit confused as they told that Dutch mayor to expect 400 to travel to the Netherlands.

We play Torquay every year in preseason and there is always about 1,000 Argyle fans. You would think they would remember such a big payday!

Jul 9, 2008
Plymouth
Don't normally post on match threads, but FWIW, Back line pretty solid, Edwards the stand out defender, Midfield Foxy kept things ticking over in front of the back line, Carey flitted in and out, mainly from the left, great curling strike for 1st goal. Stand out player (mom for me) was Reuben Lamerias who operated higher up (top of the diamond?)always playing shrewd balls on the edge of their pen box, so hard to handle! Solid overall well worth a 2 nil win, good finish from Grant for 2nd. Great work out and lots of credit to Torquay. A really nice setup off the pitch as well!