Torquay (A) Friendly - Match Thread | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Torquay (A) Friendly - Match Thread

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
Andy_S":pjgs4cj3 said:
Funnily enough QG, I haven't been to a game either but this is what I have learned...so far.

Wylde and Miller will spend the entire season, regardless of what they do, getting pilloried by the experts.

If a player has a 'mare, then fair enough but to come out with statements like "lets not even go there" and " Worse than when he left us - when he wasn't great" then you just know that they will never, in a month of Sundays, get a fair report from some people.

:banghead:

Be prepared to here it all season. Half of what people say is based on preconceptions rather than match performances. They'd need outstanding games to be praised for anything. Meanwhile players such as Songo'o are praised because they look like they try, despite being far from a L1 footballer based on current and previous performances.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
arrythewurzel":1e7u81a5 said:
Sorry Andy but the performances from Miller and Wylde were typical disappointing performances by them that I've witnessed too many times. From my point of view, I give praise where I see fit and will criticise when i think fit. I'm not an expert and I've no vendetta against either player. I so want Wylde to come good - it's not happening (and didn't happen when he left us). Think Millers best days may be behind him. Stop banging your head - you'll get a headache ...

I accept that it's your point of view 'arry and your opinion but the reports from those that were in attendance are the only thing that we exiles have to go on.

Look at it from our point of view...

Miller (you) -
lets not even go there.

Miller (alanms) -
Though Miller played well

Miller (Postey) -
Miller has done ok during pre-season.

See the problem that we have?

The same applies to Lameiras. Your opinion, and you're fully entitled to it, is that he is lightweight and will get bullied!

It's the only opinion like that! Everyone else sees him as a skillful ball player and playmaker.

I know it's only about opinions but there appears to be that entrenchment regarding certain players and it's always been the same.

Edit to add...I've just found this elsewhere about Lameiras. This, compared to yours, really sums it up for me.

Ruben Lameiras (pictured above)has been the pick of the new signings. The midfielder from Coventry City brings creativity, trickery and a goal threat to the new team as highlighted by scoring four goals in five games; he is also surprisingly tough in the tackle with an excellent work ethic.
Rating 9/10.

Aug 11, 2013
We all see things differently and this site is about opinions - I don't claim to be right. Some will agree. Some won't.

The most annoying thing about this site, is that where someone has an opinion that is disagreed with, rather than countering the opinion with an argument of their own, certain individuals simply attack the person posting, saying their views are in someway jaundiced and bigoted based pre-conceived ideas which won't be changed, or that they don't know what they're talking about ... offering no opinion of their own, mind you. Poppycock I say. I think most contributors post what they see - the difference being those who've witnessed the "glory days" are probably less easier to please based on the players they've witnessed before. We even have people criticize a poster, not having even attended the blinking game!

So if you disagree with a post can I plead that one counters with "I disagree because ..." rather than an attack on the poster.

Xy's posts offer some very heartfelt opinions. I love reading them and seeing someone else's perspective. I don't always agree with him on everything but a lot of what he says makes sense and I love his 'style'. I very much doubt he agrees very much of what I post btw. BUT ... I'd rather read opinions like Xy's, than attacks on fellow contributors that appear too often ... and spoil this site. Let's have your opinion?

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
arrythewurzel":2r2ks50o said:
We all see things differently and this site is about opinions - I don't claim to be right. Some will agree. Some won't. I agree with you wholeheartedly.

The most annoying thing about this site, is that where someone has an opinion that is disagreed with, rather than countering the opinion with an argument of their own, certain individuals simply attack the person posting, saying their views are in someway jaundiced and bigoted based pre-conceived ideas which won't be changed, or that they don't know what they're talking about ... offering no opinion of their own, mind you. Poppycock I say. I think most contributors post what they see - the difference being those who've witnessed the "glory days" are probably less easier to please based on the players they've witnessed before. We even have people criticize a poster, not having even attended the blinking game!

So if you disagree with a post can I plead that one counters with "I disagree because ..." rather than an attack on the poster.

Xy's posts offer some very heartfelt opinions. I love reading them and seeing someone else's perspective. I don't always agree with him on everything but a lot of what he says makes sense and I love his 'style'. I very much doubt he agrees very much of what I post btw. BUT ... I'd rather read opinions like Xy's, than attacks on fellow contributors that appear too often ... and spoil this site. Let's have your opinion?

And thereby sits the problem. On matches played? From the other side of the planet it is not exactly possible.

I simply made the point that 3 other contributors had "rated" Miller, you didn't and yes, there most certainly are those who walk amongst us that have some seriously jaundiced views on players.

I also queried Lameiras, simply because you thought he was "lightweight and will be found out in league 1. Looks to be one who will get bullied out of games". The other contributor reckoned he is the mutt's nutts!

So, going right back to the beginning, we exiles rely on the reports forthcoming from yourself, postey, Mark, et al and for that service we are grateful.

I just fail to see how two people watching the same players, playing the same match can have such absolutely opposite viewings. It's not a dig at anyone, just an observation from this end.

Andy_S":4vipszu7 said:
arrythewurzel":4vipszu7 said:
We all see things differently and this site is about opinions - I don't claim to be right. Some will agree. Some won't. I agree with you wholeheartedly.

And thereby sits the problem. On matches played? From the other side of the planet it is not exactly possible.

I simply made the point that 3 other contributors had "rated" Miller, you didn't and yes, there most certainly are those who walk amongst us that have some seriously jaundiced views on players.

I also queried Lameiras, simply because you thought he was "lightweight and will be found out in league 1. Looks to be one who will get bullied out of games". The other contributor reckoned he is the mutt's nutts!

So, going right back to the beginning, we exiles rely on the reports forthcoming from yourself, postey, Mark, et al and for that service we are grateful.

I just fail to see how two people watching the same players, playing the same match can have such absolutely opposite viewings. It's not a dig at anyone, just an observation from this end.

Flaubert suggests that there is no such thing as truth, only perspective, and the older I get the more I agree with him. Although he wasn't referring to physical perspective, I think this is particularly true in our judgement on players. I too have been a long time critic of Wylde, but sitting midway amongst the Torquay supporters was instructive. His crosses first half (admittedly not many) were lower and better directed than previous, and the Torquay supporters around me felt he was murdering their full back! So! I started looking at him differently. I too can't believe there aren't a lot of better wingers out there we could have signed, but I do trust DA's judgement where team balance is concerned, so I'll be happy to be proved wrong.