Torquay (A) Friendly - Match Thread | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Torquay (A) Friendly - Match Thread

Jan 3, 2013
argyledad":36gf782l said:
Hundreds of us were admitted at the last moment for £10 cash in hand with no change available and no record taken. Basically stewards with wads of £10 notes in their hands. Hope Torquay received all revenues due as they need every penny. Chief Steward told me they were informed that there would only be 200 Argyle fans, hence only one turnstile open.

Few bob disappeared then......reminds me of Rochdale six years ago......

Mar 14, 2009
Couple of things to add...that spring to mind.

Argyle took some variations in their corner routines. One in particular was Carey swinging it out to Sarcevic on the edge of the box. Another was a mini 3 person corner that almost was worked well from the corner kick. Nice to see different ideas on those set pieces.

Carey scored a loverly goal and had his usual nice touches. I just thought when Ainsworth came on and occupied that position out wide we looked better balanced. The problem, if it is one, is Lameiras played well in the no 10 role. So where does Carey go? Personally at present it might be better to give him his no 10 role because having pace down the flanks makes Argyle more dynamic. You always have that option then of Lameiras from the bench.

We desperately need a forward. Jervis has all the attributes of a forward. Height, pace and physicality. Yet he seemed lost tonight. Having Jervis & Ainsworth down the right and Grant & Wylde on the left gives us good balance. We need that spark though up front to compliment the creativity we have behind that position.

Would like to see Sarcevic given a more advanced midfield role as he has the physical statue to cause problems when getting forward.

Hopefully we will see Ness sometime soon. A slight worry was that he came with this injury plagued reputation and so far has sat out all pre-season games. Highlights how important it is to find cover for him.

Pluses for me were:

Solid defensively, Edwards looked very effective in an unfussy way, produced some very good blocks when Torquay got into good positions.
Always been a critic of Wylde's end product, usually high and wide, but his crosses last night were low and clearly seeking a fellow green, so that was encouraging.

MInuses

Horribly slow start. We just weren't at the races and a league one team would have punished us first half.

JJ at centre forward didn't work, but not his fault. He got into good positions but nobody could make a telling pass.

MOM was torquay's number 11.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
PL2 3DQ":32zedrpn said:
Playing a lot better. Fox has moved back 10 yards and is pulling the strings, Lameiras and Sarcevic both playing just behind Jervis.
Good to know that Fox is fit and playing. There were concerns after WSM that he could be out for a while.

Jan 30, 2016
Enjoyed the game and credit to Torquay for giving us a good workout.

Thought Argyle were poor in the first half but there was a great improvement in the second with many good passing moves. Problem was that we did not have a goalscorer to finish off some of the moves. I prefer Jervis in a midfield role and not as a striker with his back to the goal.

Thought the team clicked once Carey came in and played centre midfield.

Wylde showed some good touches but he and Sawyer need rapidly to be on the same wavelength.

Though Miller played well - I think he has been asked to come forward more.

Jan 6, 2017
Plymouth
AlanMS":46av7pta said:
Though Miller played well - I think he has been asked to come forward more.

I remember Miller playing quite well at Torquay last season too!

Trouble is, in asking Miller to get forward more, you're asking him to do something that doesn't come naturally to him - and he hasn't got the legs. He's old fashioned defensive right back. Threlkeld will be first choice, but if Miller comes in for him at some point in the season, it could change whole dynamic. With the way the full-back game has changed, Miller would be better off considering a conversion to centre back... but not in our team!

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Miller has done ok during pre-season. He's lost some weight and looks a different player from distance.

Our best defenders during pre-season so far have been Songo'o and Edwards and if Bradley (and Sokolik) is not back playing again soon and getting match fit then Songo'o and Edwards will be our first choice centre-backs against Peterborough in just over two weeks time.

Feb 8, 2005
Bradley will be getting game time tonight against Devon XI. Let's hope it's the start of him getting fit for the first match of the season.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
jimsing":zsf7gvgo said:
Bradley will be getting game time tonight against Devon XI. Let's hope it's the start of him getting fit for the first match of the season.

Hopefully, because he's only played in one game and that was the first one against Parkway and has missed the following five games.
He's got three games (maybe four depending on FC Emmen) left to get match fit.

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
First half was typical last seasons home form slow start missed placed passes getting caught in possession, second half a bit of improvement, nevertheless less a good workout, Torquay gave a good performance unlucky not to have scored, it will be interesting to see the formation v Cardiff.

Aug 11, 2013
I suppose I should really reserve judgment before a ball is kicked in anger ... but the pattern of the game matched my firmly held opinions before the game in many respects:-

Fox - What an absolute privilege to watch him last night. Class act. Always seems to make time and space for himself and never feels pressurized. Best player on the pitch for me by a country mile. Does he ever not complete a pass. Can't praise his performance enough.

Carey - Typical Carey: "glory moments" matched by equally "ugh? moments" but we wouldn't be without him.

Sarcevic - Jury's out on this one. Feels like Adams is playing him expecting some decent player to materialize but that has failed to happen yet for me? There's a player in there waiting to emerge but when's it going to happen?

Gary Miller - lets not even go there.

Wylde - Sorry to be negative, but why did we re-sign this guy? Looked lost. When not lost was rarely on same wavelength as colleagues. Often went on those mazy runs to nowhere. Worse than when he left us - when he wasn't great. Needs to improve big time. Sorry but that's what I saw.

Jervis - Strange decision to lump balls up to him first half. How many times do you need to try something before you realize it never works. How many times has Adams tried this tactic and failed? Grrr. We haven't got a 'hold the ball up' striker who likes to play with his back to goal. Massive missing piece of jigsaw for me. Poor pen.

Lameiras (probably mis-spelt) - Think he looks lightweight and will be found out in league 1. Looks to be one who will get bullied out of games. Friday will be a test if he plays but not strong enough for me. Luxury player and reminds me of Gurrieri - again probably mis-spelt. Hoping I'm proved wrong.

Songo 'O - Very committed and love that from an Argyle player. Had a good game. Some times the hexagon head and toblerone feet are in appearance - but I just love this guy.

Good workout - but can't say I learned a lot ..........

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
arrythewurzel":1kc13zdo said:
I suppose I should really reserve judgment before a ball is kicked in anger ... but the pattern of the game matched my firmly held opinions before the game in many respects:-

Fox - What an absolute privilege to watch him last night. Class act. Always seems to make time and space for himself and never feels pressurized. Best player on the pitch for me by a country mile. Does he ever not complete a pass. Can't praise his performance enough.

Carey - Typical Carey: "glory moments" matched by equally "ugh? moments" but we wouldn't be without him.

Sarcevic - Jury's out on this one. Feels like Adams is playing him expecting some decent player to materialize but that has failed to happen yet for me? There's a player in there waiting to emerge but when's it going to happen?

Wylde - Sorry to be negative, but why did we re-sign this guy? Looked lost. When not lost was rarely on same wavelength as colleagues. Often went on those mazy runs to nowhere. Worse than when he left us - when he wasn't great. Needs to improve big time. Sorry but that's what I saw.

Jervis - Strange decision to lump balls up to him first half. How many times do you need to try something before you realize it never works. How many times has Adams tried this tactic and failed? Grrr. We haven't got a 'hold the ball up' striker who likes to play with his back to goal. Massive missing piece of jigsaw for me. Poor pen.

Lameiras (probably mis-spelt) - Think he looks lightweight and will be found out in league 1. Looks to be one who will get bullied out of games. Friday will be a test if he plays but not strong enough for me. Luxury player and reminds me of Gurrieri - again probably mis-spelt. Hoping I'm proved wrong.

Songo 'O - Very committed and love that from an Argyle player. Had a good game. Some times the hexagon head and toblerone feet are in appearance - but I just love this guy.

I suppose a lot of us would learn that last night you were only impressed by 2 of Argyle's players? I wasn't there so I cannot really add anything to your judgement on the evening. I am just a little surprised, that's all.

Sep 2, 2015
Kingsbridge
Quintrell_Green":33u67rv7 said:
arrythewurzel":33u67rv7 said:

I suppose a lot of us would learn that last night you were only impressed by 2 of Argyle's players? I wasn't there so I cannot really add anything to your judgement on the evening. I am just a little surprised, that's all.

I was at the game last night and I'd say that was a fair assessment of what i watched just based on that game. Lameiras looks skillful with quick feet but i was also really disappointed with Wylde. Edwards does look like he'll be a presence alongside Bradley

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Funnily enough QG, I haven't been to a game either but this is what I have learned...so far.

Wylde and Miller will spend the entire season, regardless of what they do, getting pilloried by the experts.

If a player has a 'mare, then fair enough but to come out with statements like "lets not even go there" and " Worse than when he left us - when he wasn't great" then you just know that they will never, in a month of Sundays, get a fair report from some people.

:banghead:

Aug 11, 2013
Sorry Andy but the performances from Miller and Wylde were typical disappointing performances by them that I've witnessed too many times. From my point of view, I give praise where I see fit and will criticise when i think fit. I'm not an expert and I've no vendetta against either player. I so want Wylde to come good - it's not happening (and didn't happen when he left us). Think Millers best days may be behind him. Stop banging your head - you'll get a headache ...