Was that Wottons last game for Argyle | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Was that Wottons last game for Argyle

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
I was (and possibly still am) one of the few who thinks he might have something to offer next season.

His legs aren't up to much but his brain, positional awareness and his communication are as as good as they've ever been. Which for this league is exceptionally good. Our results are (usually) that little bit better for having him in the side.

If Sheridan is determined on having his full overhaul, then let him have it and let's see if losing all that money off the wagebill can go somewhere better. But I still think Wotton could have a role to play.

Even if he doesn't, I really hope it gets announced before Saturday so that we can sub him off to a rousing ovation. We never got the chance to do that last time he departed against Blackpool because Sturrock decided to omit him from the 18. This is (could be) our second chance to say goodbye and this time for good. Start him and bring him off 5-10 minutes into the second half. Then get him to 492 against Pompey, even if it's only for five minutes.

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
It's a funny old game, isn't it? Only about three weeks ago you were all clamouring that Wottsie HAD to start every match from now on in...........now you are all consigning him to the dustbin of history.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
kernow19":1t2ak84e said:
It's a funny old game, isn't it? Only about three weeks ago you were all clamouring that Wottsie HAD to start every match from now on in...........now you are all consigning him to the dustbin of history.
Have to agree. He's had a few crap games, so have the team. Still think we're generally better for having him in and I think there's a not insignificant chance that the obituaries are once again being written too soon. Maybe he will be released, I don't know but not at all nailed on for me.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I must say that I was surprised to see him on the team sheet yesterday, after his display against Oxford Utd. He has been a good servant to Argyle in the past, but sadly, his time as a regular playing asset has now passed. I just hope he is allowed to retire gracefully without a bandwagon of support to carry on for another season.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Sentiment will only hold us back I'm afraid.

If it was my choice then Wotton would be hanging up his playing boots when this season ends and moving into another role within the club, probably youth involvment.

This club HAS to move forward and that means improving the quailfy we have on the field.

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
He's still got more get up and go than Sheridan and at least one more season in him.

Feb 13, 2004
Not where I should be.
He's not quick enough, not able to read the play like he did.

If we are going to get out of this league then we cannot afford players that are 'past it' and unfortunately for PW, he is.

Go out a hero while you still can.

Not sure about the coaching thing, for one do we actually have a vacancy? If not, then why waste budget creating one? After all, we don't seem to play the youth or give them much of a chance of first team football do we?

Oct 15, 2013
Sentimentalilty is a deadly curse in football. Even more so in Plymouth where we don't exactly have a long list of footballers who have hailed from this region.

As a result many fans have attached themselves to Wotton as some kind of holy figure of green.

On the other hand there are a few like me who see him simply as a crap footballer with an obnoxiously offensive gob on him.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Cerbera":7vn3yxyk said:
UncleBuck":7vn3yxyk said:
On the other hand there are a few like me who see him simply as a crap footballer with an obnoxiously offensive gob on him.

:funny:

:thumbs:

+1

While other more mature fans will recognise Paul Wotton as our most successful captain, a leader on the pitch, our top goal scorer for two seasons in the Championship and who did more than most former players while the club was in admin. ;)

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
PL2 3DQ":325xywuj said:
Cerbera":325xywuj said:
UncleBuck":325xywuj said:

+1

While other more mature fans will recognise Paul Wotton as our most successful captain, a leader on the pitch, our top goal scorer for two seasons in the Championship and who did more than most former players while the club was in admin. ;)

This.

Feb 13, 2004
Not where I should be.
PL2 3DQ":1ptytgcv said:
Cerbera":1ptytgcv said:
UncleBuck":1ptytgcv said:

+1

Yeah, okay. That as well then.

;)