Was that Wottons last game for Argyle | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Was that Wottons last game for Argyle

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Only TWO ex players helped, Chuck (many times) and Wotts.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
I will never forget the impact he had on his return in the Fleetwood game. He was his manager's voice on the pitch and gave Young and Hourihane the licence to adventure. That was the key difference in that game - and probably Morecambe that followed.

But, anyone who's played knows that you can't keep doing it forever and yesterday proved that he cannot any longer justify selection as a centre-half. That leaves the holding role he played at Fleetwood, but even then I would hope we could get someone better in, someone who could do it week after week.

I'd retain his registration for emergencies, but with a view to some kind of coaching/ ambassidorial role.

May 1, 2011
UncleBuck":1ngelp1m said:
Sentimentalilty is a deadly curse in football. Even more so in Plymouth where we don't exactly have a long list of footballers who have hailed from this region.

As a result many fans have attached themselves to Wotton as some kind of holy figure of green.

On the other hand there are a few like me who see him simply as a crap footballer with an obnoxiously offensive gob on him.

In his pomp he played in the Championship for 2 clubs, he also captained 2 promotion teams. If he is so bad then God help us with our current squad. All of which, apart from maybe 2 or 3 are poor to average 4th division players.

Oct 15, 2013
I appreciate that going on PASOTI and saying critical words about Wotton is almost as insane as entering a Kabul Mosque and shouting "United States Marine Corps" but sometimes a bit of balance is required and from speaking to fans I know personally then there are many who don't rate him and don't like his style.

May 1, 2011
UncleBuck":25xoxe8m said:
I appreciate that going on PASOTI and saying critical words about Wotton is almost as insane as entering a Kabul Mosque and shouting "United States Marine Corps" but sometimes a bit of balance is required and from speaking to fans I know personally then there are many who don't rate him and don't like his style.

2 promotions as Captain don't obviously mean much to you then. You can't rate any outfield players in the current squad then.

Sep 1, 2006
Give his a coaching role with first team or kids. Got a lot of passion and experience to be shared.

Oct 15, 2013
SMIAL":2ag24qju said:
Give his a coaching role with first team or kids. Got a lot of passion and experience to be shared.

So he can teach the next generation of young players how to hoof into orbit or mess up a 5 yard sideways pass?

Sep 1, 2006
Harsh. He has been a fantastic player for us, and had a very good career. Just wish we could have him 10-12 years younger.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
UncleBuck":2gbxrad8 said:
You're perfectly entitled to your view, no-one's gonna shout you down for it. I just disagree with it.

The simple facts are, have we been better or worse with him in the team this season? Of course we've been crap with him in the side for some matches like on Monday. But on the whole I think we're a hell of a lot more solid at the back and a hell of a lot more structured as a unit with him in the team. Admittedly it's easy for him to improve the team when the alternatives are wastemen like Trotman and Blizzard but he still improves it notably. No-one's saying he has to be at his best (of course he's past his best, no sh*t) we're just saying can he still do a job for a decent League Two team? Indisputably yes for me.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
If he plays the final two games on sentiment alone the record will show future generations that he played all those games. The downside is that many of those who were there on Monday and who will be at the final two matches may have a tainted view of his right to that record, though granted those feelings will not persist as long as the history book. Personally speaking, if we are ever to get anywhere as a club, then sentiment has no place whatsoever. The final two games are a wonderful opportunity to recall the lad Richards from Weymouth and see what he does in battle conditions. Wotton is the past (and some parts of it a glorious past) and Richards is the future.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
memory man":3fu03atx said:
If he plays the final two games on sentiment alone the record will show future generations that he played all those games. The downside is that many of those who were there on Monday and who will be at the final two matches may have a tainted view of his right to that record, though granted those feelings will not persist as long as the history book. Personally speaking, if we are ever to get anywhere as a club, then sentiment has no place whatsoever. The final two games are a wonderful opportunity to recall the lad Richards from Weymouth and see what he does in battle conditions. Wotton is the past (and some parts of it a glorious past) and Richards is the future.

Over the years there have been several players who were coming to the end of their Argyle career and were given a final game to allow the fans a chance to say goodbye and thanks, Mickey Evans being one and what an emotional and fantastic occasion that was.

If we can't honour a living club legend in a fitting way then what kind of fans and club are we?

Besides, this might not be Wotton's final season anyway and we'll be having a similar debate next year.

#playwottsie

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
memory man":srht4shp said:
Agree with this. Wotton doesn't need a cheap cameo appearance as a sub to be given an appropriate send off by the fans. 10% of his appearances have been as a sub an opportunity not afforded to Sammy Black's generation so at least let him match or beat Black on merit not sentiment. If he is there on Saturday whether as part of the squad or not he will know whether he has played his last home game and he can still take the applause of the crowd. The final two games are a great opportunity to see whether Richards and Vassell are worth offering a further 6 to 12 month contract to. Fantastic servant that he has been Wotton is the past as a player now. As for coaching, passion and experience are not enough. If he is an able coach by all means take him on, if not then don't.