We'll do very well this season....... | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

We'll do very well this season.......

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Larry David":1tg58svj said:
PL2 3DQ":1tg58svj said:
A big weekend coming up because six of the seven bottom teams in League One all play each other.
We HAVE to beat Gillingham!

This surely has to be the cut off point. Win and we're back in the mix, lose and we are in serious danger of being cast adrift and I would seriously expect the board to make a decisive move.

There has to be a line in the sand at some point and this for me is it.
Stick or twist? Another stat is that four of that bottom seven have changed manager, including the other three in the current bottom four. The change seems to have worked for Gillingham and initially it did for Oldham. For Bury and Northampton it hasn't made too much difference. Of the other two who have not made a change, Rochdale's last five is identical to Argyle but Wimbledon are two points worse off over the same period.

Apr 5, 2008
If Adams can get Argyle to play like we did against Bradford from now on .We will be fine.

Ridiculous we lost that match,a fluke for their second goal,and Luke nightmare for 3rd.

How did Jarvis not score,about a yard from goal line ,the ball crosses in front of him,and he doesn’t even touch the ball.How is that possible. :doh:

Bradford should have been buried,and would have been deserved especially from that pathetic turnout from them,less than 5000,and only a tenner to get in.

Not really a big club after all.

R

rdr123

Gillingham is a 6 pointer for us. Lose this weekend and the up hill struggle turns into a Mount Everest struggle. Many fans have already written this season off and this shouldn't be the case. If results don't go our way in December then even more questions need to be asked to DA.

Aug 5, 2016
oldage":395n0vli said:
If you care to note I put a few dots after the topic rather than repeat the whole quote. Knibbsworth and co who always look on the bright side are welcome to their view but I am personally fed up with all the rubbish DA comes out with.Dress it up all you like the table doesn't lie and I think he'll still be saying the same things in March when the inevitable happens.

I don't even consider myself as someone who looks on the bright side to be honest.

I just happen to despise the culture of the armchair critic who loves to condemn and criticise. So often these people have no thought or solution themselves, and could not have realistically done better themselves, but it does not stop them making personal attacks and enjoying it. I am talking in the vaguest terms here, not restricted to just Argyle or football but local politics, the workplace and everything. People love to moan and criticise, and to assume the position of expert by highlighting the failures or misfortune of others who are trying.

With regards to Argyle, I don't see what you guys think a change in manager is going to realistically achieve. Our players aren't the best, no matter who the manager is. Wylde still lacks end product, Jervis lacks strength, Lameiras lacks physicality, McCormick fears crosses and Fox lacks pace - whether the manager is Adams or Guardiola. Yes they are DA's players, but if he could have afforded better he would have. There's only so much quality £1,000 a week gets you.

Each time we lose lately, there are mitigating circumstances. Daft reds, unfair refereeing decisions (Edwards v Oxford). Chances not taken, bizarre goals conceded (Bradford). When we win, fans moan about the poor football and want the manager out, but when Argyle attack with fluidity and create chances and lose, fans say losing again is unacceptable and want the manager out. The reactions to Bradford in the league (winning ugly) and the cup (losing whilst attacking for goals) shows that Adams will have critics short of winning in style like Manchester City. How many teams bottom of the league in December are going to suddenly start winning regularly by three goals with incisive football? It's a stupid burden to place on the manager.

We have had bad luck, but these things are not the fault of the manager. The solution to these things are not found by a change in manager. When the players are dejected, when morale and belief is rock bottom, then you change the manager - but I don't see us there yet. Therefore I don't see the merit in continually highlighting the poor football and the dropped points. Everyone at Argyle is focused, battling and trying, and you can't realistically expect more.

In my opinion Argyle are still playing well. The players are trying for Adams. I think the return of Taylor and Threlkeld is potentially massive, and Adams deserves to be judged with the availability of two of his key players. This happens to coincide with a very winnable run of games in the next two months.

My last point is Argyle have the best chance of picking up points with a culture of positivity and unity, rather than infighting, bitchy comments and polls on whether the manager deserves to lose his job. What kind of constructive behaviour is that?

Some fans need a reality check that until the budget is decent, we won't get a broad consistency of decent players throughout the team and won't be a top half side. Diagouraga and Taylor are our only players who have contended for promotion at this level, therefore I can't understand where our base arrogance comes from that we are too big to be involved in a relegation fight? The vast majority of our squad was signed to us in League Two or from other clubs in League Two.

My belief is that Adams will get us out of the relegation mess, but it is going to be a long hard slog. Our best chance of survival is to get behind him and the players and realise everyone is together in the trenches for this.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Knibbsworth":xq3r7db5 said:
oldage":xq3r7db5 said:
If you care to note I put a few dots after the topic rather than repeat the whole quote. Knibbsworth and co who always look on the bright side are welcome to their view but I am personally fed up with all the rubbish DA comes out with.Dress it up all you like the table doesn't lie and I think he'll still be saying the same things in March when the inevitable happens.

I don't even consider myself as someone who looks on the bright side to be honest. Yeah right!

I just happen to despise the culture of the armchair critic who loves to condemn and criticise. So often these people have no thought or solution themselves, and could not have realistically done better themselves, but it does not stop them making personal attacks and enjoying it. I am talking in the vaguest terms here, not restricted to just Argyle or football but local politics, the workplace and everything. People love to moan and criticise, and to assume the position of expert by highlighting the failures or misfortune of others who are trying.

With regards to Argyle, I don't see what you guys think a change in manager is going to realistically achieve. Our players aren't the best, no matter who the manager is. Wylde still lacks end product, Jervis lacks strength, Lameiras lacks physicality, McCormick fears crosses and Fox lacks pace - whether the manager is Adams or Guardiola. Yes they are DA's players, but if he could have afforded better he would have. There's only so much quality £1,000 a week gets you.
There are 24 clubs in league 1, 23 of them manage with the players they have why not us? Even clubs in the top end of league two would give us a pasting so we have not improved 1 iota in fact we’ve gone backwards since last season’s run in and DA could have and should have done better in the close season. He appeared to not even know where he needed to bolster (attacking players BTW).

Each time we lose lately, there are mitigating circumstances. Daft reds, unfair refereeing decisions (Edwards v Oxford). Chances not taken, bizarre goals conceded (Bradford). When we win, fans moan about the poor football and want the manager out, but when Argyle attack with fluidity and create chances and lose, fans say losing again is unacceptable and want the manager out. The reactions to Bradford in the league (winning ugly) and the cup (losing whilst attacking for goals) shows that Adams will have critics short of winning in style like Manchester City. How many teams bottom of the league in December are going to suddenly start winning regularly by three goals with incisive football? It's a stupid burden to place on the manager.
When we win (3 times in 20 ish league games) there are some who believe the tide has turned and we become world beaters (we don’t). The style of Argyle has always been ugly, win, lose or draw which has upset those that wish to see a game of football!

We have had bad luck, but these things are not the fault of the manager. The solution to these things are not found by a change in manager. When the players are dejected, when morale and belief is rock bottom, then you change the manager - but I don't see us there yet. Therefore I don't see the merit in continually highlighting the poor football and the dropped points. Everyone at Argyle is focused, battling and trying, and you can't realistically expect more.
Bad luck or bad discipline? It took the players to sort out the shonky first few games but what about the rest. The rest of this passage is just your opinion which I don’t agree with en bloc. We are not a good side and we have a not good manager that recruited the not good side. He needed two seasons to understand what was needed in league two and when we go down he will have to relearn what he forgets. He does not learn quickly. The dropped points is why we’re so bad FFS what is the point of ignoring it!

In my opinion Argyle are still playing well. The players are trying for Adams. I think the return of Taylor and Threlkeld is potentially massive, and Adams deserves to be judged with the availability of two of his key players. This happens to coincide with a very winnable run of games in the next two months.
The only thing I agree with is Threlkeld and Taylor’s return being massive. Now remind me, who put Oscar into the game against Fleetwood and what was the outcome?
My last point is Argyle have the best chance of picking up points with a culture of positivity and unity, rather than infighting, bitchy comments and polls on whether the manager deserves to lose his job. What kind of constructive behaviour is that?
We are ALL entitled to our opinion. Argue that! I expect Butcher will.

Some fans need a reality check that until the budget is decent, we won't get a broad consistency of decent players throughout the team and won't be a top half side. Diagouraga and Taylor are our only players who have contended for promotion at this level, therefore I can't understand where our base arrogance comes from that we are too big to be involved in a relegation fight? The vast majority of our squad was signed to us in League Two or from other clubs in League Two.
I’ll take a reality check the same time you do. He signed the players and even at this level most clubs have free transfers etc. Who did we last pay money for? Non league at best.

My belief is that Adams will get us out of the relegation mess, but it is going to be a long hard slog. Our best chance of survival is to get behind him and the players and realise everyone is together in the trenches for this.
Fair play to you. My belief is Adams will lie his way to league two making people believe we’re better than we are and just so, so unlucky

Sorry about the colour changes. Took so long typing on the IPad and trying to keep the cursor in the right place.

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Just a reminder of Oscar's words on the Fleetwood return:

Threlkeld told Herald Sport: “We both agreed for me to play. It wasn’t like I got forced back in.

“It was an agreement between both parties, thinking that we could get through the game.”

However, Threlkeld was involved in several challenges during the first half against Fleetwood and he could not continue after the interval.

Threlkeld said: “I felt good going into the game but as soon as I got initial contact on it, it started to get sore.

“It got worse after each tackle but I saw it through until half-time.

“I think it opened up again, but I’m not too sure. The physio (Paul Atkinson) knows all that stuff.”

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Regardless of that press release it is still for the manager to manage injury. Nobody could say they weren’t surprised to see Oscar in the starting lineup against Fleetwood and even the week before both were saying he was 2-3 weeks away.

It could be that Adams should have told him he couldn’t play and remember, this was the first of the three games Adams was supposedly given to save himself. The week after he brought in Toumani as his Hail Mary.

Whether he was given three games or not I don’t know and i’m only saying what was assumed at the time.

Jul 12, 2016
Ade the green ,thanks for saving me the bother of replying to Knibbsworth. I am not an armchair critic having been a season ticket holder for about 40 years. I am as keen as anybody else to see us avoid relegation but the blind faith shown by some on this site is baffling.If DA was half as good as he thinks he is we would not be struggling this season. He signed the players,he decides the tactics,he is ultimately resposible for discipline.

Oct 14, 2015
Whilst I accept DA is the manager and as such takes on the main responsibility for our performances this season but I see very little mention of his right hand men, Brewster and Wotton, who must also accept some responsibility for our results this season and performances. Seems Wotton, whom I'm assuming is our defensive coach, cannot be criticised due to his long serving loyalty for Arygle.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
It's nothing to do with 'blind faith' some of us like to support the team in a way which is more em err supportive.

Like you 'blooper Luke' comment on Saturday. Does that help? I don't care how long you've had a season ticket to be honest, I'd call you a miserable old sod if I sat near you.

May 16, 2016
Keepitgreen":bu2hs2lw said:
Just a reminder of Oscar's words on the Fleetwood return:

Threlkeld told Herald Sport: “We both agreed for me to play. It wasn’t like I got forced back in.

“It was an agreement between both parties, thinking that we could get through the game.”

However, Threlkeld was involved in several challenges during the first half against Fleetwood and he could not continue after the interval.

Threlkeld said: “I felt good going into the game but as soon as I got initial contact on it, it started to get sore.

“It got worse after each tackle but I saw it through until half-time.

“I think it opened up again, but I’m not too sure. The physio (Paul Atkinson) knows all that stuff.”

Like that's going to change anyones opinion on the matter ;)

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Ade the green":2lj610lp said:
We are ALL entitled to our opinion. Argue that! I expect Butcher will.

Eh, what, sorry, is that for me? I didn't realise I'd posted on this thread.

Oh well, seeing as you invited me....

I have no problem with anyone having an opinion about anything Ade my old mate (sorry, if that's over-familiar, there was me thinking we were on first name terms). There are many on here I disagree with - some I counter with my own opinion, many I just don't bother with.

But what I do find a tad annoying old chap, is the handful of posters who find the need to make the same point ad infinitum. You are one of those I'm afraid, and have a habit of doing so in an unnecessarily over-emotive way which does tend to kind of grind the gears a bit - hence, it's hard to resist. 20 odd posts in one thread the other day - oh, and I'm still waiting for the answer to my question BTW. But on the upside just 6 in 4 pages on this thread - ratio improving :thumbup: .