Worried about the lack of goals from our forwards | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Worried about the lack of goals from our forwards

Nov 4, 2012
tom16pafc":1q8vqlcn said:
- Marvin Morgan is one of the worst strikers i have ever seen, dont even know how its possible for him to be a professional!
We've really got to start with Nathan Thomas or Deane Smalley
- Kelvin Mellor, Banton, Cox and Ollie played quite well with some brilliant bits of skill
- Hartley and McHugh seemed very shaky at the back

Marvin Morgan played well today in my opinion.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
gaspargomez":2yya7pfb said:
Judge the team when the season starts properly- and then give them at least 5 league games.

The voice of reason. :thumbs:

Oct 15, 2013
gaspargomez":38kk124c said:
Judge the team when the season starts properly- and then give them at least 5 league games.

To be fair though, how many times have we heard that before? Then 5 games becomes Christmas.

The big test will be Yeovil on Wednesday. No reason at all why we shouldn't expect to win that one hands down if we're any kind of team at all.

Mar 8, 2009
Hampshire
I see the worry but I don't share it; I just don't think looking at last season's tally will help this season! :facepalm:

Reuben needs to get fitter and fitter soon, as we can't be waiting around for him for ages; 10 goals from him this season is good enough but he's even making that really difficult for himself while he's not as fit as he can be.

I think it is a similar situation with Lewis, as he's not looking quite as sharp as he has in the past, and we need to realise it's 2 weeks until the season starts and not 6, so a bit of work with him will benefit a really good player for this division.

My first impressions of Smalley weren't great (that being the Torquay game) but I'm keeping my fingers crossed he'll impress this season; we'll just have to see.

I thought Morgan was good today, which is nice; I believe there's a good player in him but he needs to show it and when he does, he'll start games and will start to re-establish himself as one of the division's best goalscorers.

Then, Banton is a popular choice with many and he can be a very dangerous player at times; I personally prefer him as one of two wider players with 3 up front, although I'd prefer to see him in midfield for now.

We also have Lecointe, and possibly Harvey too, although their chances will likely be limited.

Overall, we have a great number of options, the vast majority of which are suited to a promotion push, it's just getting them ready and at their best, but now and not halfway through the season.

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
I enjoyed the game yesterday and believe we are a better side than last year from that display.

However I have very little confidence in the goalscoring abilities of Argyle with barely a shot in the whole match and poor results in the other friendlies.

I have a feeling we will dominate possession in a lot of games but will struggle to turn this into goals.

Hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
argobenz":3viil3c0 said:
I enjoyed the game yesterday and believe we are a better side than last year from that display.

However I have very little confidence in the goalscoring abilities of Argyle with barely a shot in the whole match and poor results in the other friendlies.

I have a feeling we will dominate possession in a lot of games but will struggle to turn this into goals.

Hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.

Yeah I'd go along with that, we know that Reid and Morgan as a front two doesn't really work, so if's Reid and Alessandra up front I think we'll be fine. Also I hope for a few more from set pieces than last season.

Apr 30, 2011
PAFC94":26dkofsz said:
Graham Evans":26dkofsz said:
More than just a striker needed , we were awful in attack ,midfield and defence . To cap it all the keeper was dressed in lurid pink and had a stinker of a game . Before the game I was thinking maybe promotion now I am worried about relegation. I know it was only a friendly but most of the players looked very unfit and totally disinterested.

I'll admit to posting some nosense on this site in my time but this surely tops it all.

He's gotta be on a wind up surely?

C

Cobi Budge.

Reid looks seriously unfit at this stage compared to the rest of the squad, his form this pre season has been a worry.

I hope he's saving himself for the first game, but I unfortunately think it'll take a while for him to get going, again.

Mar 8, 2009
Hampshire
Cobi Budge.":1h6rrghb said:
Reid looks seriously unfit at this stage compared to the rest of the squad, his form this pre season has been a worry.

I hope he's saving himself for the first game, but I unfortunately think it'll take a while for him to get going, again.

:iagree:

As I said in my original post, saying "Oh, look at how many goals he scored last season" doesn't excuse the fact he isn't as fit as he could be. Last season was last season and you can't just assume he'll score the same amount this season and leave it at that because he won't unless he gets fitter now.

Jul 29, 2010
Cobi Budge.":gux4dxtg said:

But what if he busts a gut all summer and pre-season then burns out in February?

You get players like him sometimes, everyone is different. I remember Trigger being an appalling trainer and slow starter. But, like Reuben, he'd deliver over a season.

And that's all that matters. Sweeping judgements before a ball had been kicked in anger last season are just coming full circle again. Chill, it's pre bleddy season.